Getting better Template error messages in terminal?

none

I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of template compile errors when I run
make on my source code. Often it takes minutes to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.

My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit and from there search for the
word 'error'. Could be nice if there was a terminal which could highlight the error keyword.

But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It could be very nice if it just
stopped when hitting the first error instead of printing multiple pages.

What are your approach to this?

I am writing my code on Ubuntu 9.04.

Öö Tiib

I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of template compile errors when I run
make on my source code. Often it takes minutes to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.

My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit and from there search for the
word 'error'. Could be nice if there was a terminal which could highlight the error keyword.

Sure, you can pipe your compiler output to tool that formats them to
your liking (for example highlights word error) and then outputs.
But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It could be very nice if it just
stopped when hitting the first error instead of printing multiple pages.

Tool can do anything.
What are your approach to this?

I usually use IDEs. Most IDEs have some form of support inbuilt for
handling compiler output in less tedious manner.

Jeff Flinn

none said:
I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of template
compile errors when I run make on my source code. Often it takes minutes
to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.

My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit
and from there search for the word 'error'. Could be nice if there was a
terminal which could highlight the error keyword.

But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It
could be very nice if it just stopped when hitting the first error
instead of printing multiple pages.

I use an IDE, and simply use it's find facility. I've used StlFilt from
bdsoft which simplifies and reformats error messages into more
manageable information. See http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html.

Jeff

none

Jeff said:
I use an IDE, and simply use it's find facility. I've used StlFilt from
bdsoft which simplifies and reformats error messages into more
manageable information. See http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html.

Jeff

I have looked at the gstlfilt package at:

http://www.bdsoft.com/dist/gstlfilt.tar

but I use CMake to build my application and therefore I don't specify the g++ call anywhere. As I
understand http://www.bdsoft.com/dist/gstlfilt.tar is a script that replaces make.