    stopped when hitting the first error instead of printing multiple pages.

    What are your approach to this?

    I am writing my code on Ubuntu 9.04.

    none, May 11, 2010

  2. none

    Öö Tiib Guest

    Re: Getting better Template error messages in terminal?

    On 11 mai, 21:23, none <""mort\"@(none)"> wrote:
    > I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of template compile errors when I run
    > make on my source code. Often it takes minutes to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.
    >
    > My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit and from there search for the
    > word 'error'. Could be nice if there was a terminal which could highlight the error keyword.

    Sure, you can pipe your compiler output to tool that formats them to
    your liking (for example highlights word error) and then outputs.

    > But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It could be very nice if it just
    > stopped when hitting the first error instead of printing multiple pages.

    Tool can do anything.

    > What are your approach to this?

    I usually use IDEs. Most IDEs have some form of support inbuilt for
    handling compiler output in less tedious manner.

    Öö Tiib, May 11, 2010

  3. none

    Jeff Flinn Guest

    none wrote:
    > I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of template
    > compile errors when I run make on my source code. Often it takes minutes
    > to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.
    >
    > My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit
    > and from there search for the word 'error'. Could be nice if there was a
    > terminal which could highlight the error keyword.
    >
    > But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It
    > could be very nice if it just stopped when hitting the first error
    > instead of printing multiple pages.

    I use an IDE, and simply use it's find facility. I've used StlFilt from
    bdsoft which simplifies and reformats error messages into more
    manageable information. See http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html.

    Jeff

    Jeff Flinn, May 11, 2010
  4. none

    none Guest

    Jeff Flinn wrote:
    > none wrote:
    >> I am getting pretty tired of reading through multiple pages of
    >> template compile errors when I run make on my source code. Often it
    >> takes minutes to even find a line containing the keyword 'error'.
    >>
    >> My current solution is to copy the output from the console into gedit
    >> and from there search for the word 'error'. Could be nice if there was
    >> a terminal which could highlight the error keyword.
    >>
    >> But is it not possible to get a better output of template error? It
    >> could be very nice if it just stopped when hitting the first error
    >> instead of printing multiple pages.

    > I use an IDE, and simply use it's find facility. I've used StlFilt from
    > bdsoft which simplifies and reformats error messages into more
    > manageable information. See http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html.
    >
    > Jeff

    I have looked at the gstlfilt package at:

    http://www.bdsoft.com/dist/gstlfilt.tar

    but I use CMake to build my application and therefore I don't specify the g++ call anywhere. As I
    understand http://www.bdsoft.com/dist/gstlfilt.tar is a script that replaces make.

    none, May 12, 2010