Getting data from phone call

Ike

Does anyone know how I can obtain the "data," in a phone call, i.e. to
listen to a telephone call, tones, voice data, etc? I simply need to be able
to connect a phone call to a J2SE application somehow, and I have NO idea
how this is done whatsoever. Can someone point in in the right direction
please on this? Thanks, Ike

Ishmael Rufus

Wouldn't you need a digital phone line instead of the simple analog
connections?

Chris Smith

Ishmael Rufus said:
Wouldn't you need a digital phone line instead of the simple analog
connections?

That or an ADC. This is not possible on a standard modem, to the best
of my knowledge.

You would need specialized hardware for it. If you choose to build
specialized hardware, be aware that there are a lot of legal
restrictions on what devices can be attached to phone lines. Xecom
makes devices that provide the isolation and signal separation needed.
Add an ADC on the input and a DAC on the output, and you could probably
attach the device to a serial port and communicate with JavaComm. You'd
need an external power supply. If you're into electronics, it shouldn't
be too hard and you could build it for less than $50 even in single
quantities.

But I realize building hardware is probably not what anyone had in mind
here. :)

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris

Does anyone know how I can obtain the "data," in a phone call, i.e. to
listen to a telephone call, tones, voice data, etc? I simply need to be able
to connect a phone call to a J2SE application somehow, and I have NO idea
how this is done whatsoever. Can someone point in in the right direction
please on this? Thanks, Ike

There are lots of ways to do this. You do need a piece of hardware, but
there are plenty of them out there and they're not expensive. Start Googling
things like "computer telephone interface", "computer telephony", "IVR", and
you'll learn that there's a great big industry out there devoted to this
stuff.

fg

@see jtapi in java.sun.com ("Java Telephony API")
Search the web for implementations of this API (I don't remember where I got
mine : in sun's website, or in others...)
this API even provide support for Ring tones, which can be very usefull....

@see jsapi in java.sun.com ("Java Speech API") for seech recognition if you
need one
Search the web for implementations of this API (especially CloudGarden's :
it implements this API, with additionnal functions, not avoidable if you
want to connect it to a phone line)

Sorry for the shortness, but I think this is a summary of days of searchs
;-)

Goulou.