Getting Data out of Outlook

Roedy Green

Every once in a while I see people trying to get email messages out of
Outlook format. Here is an idea.

Eudora has a way of importing Outlook messages. Eudora will export as
HTML. Further Eudora's internal format looks pretty simple so you
could likely crack it easily.

Igor Planinc

Roedy said:
Every once in a while I see people trying to get email messages out of
Outlook format. Here is an idea.

Eudora has a way of importing Outlook messages. Eudora will export as
HTML. Further Eudora's internal format looks pretty simple so you
could likely crack it easily.

And then one has to parse HTML. ;-)

Outlook can export as .eml, right? All that remains to do is to
1. strip eml headers,
2. implement a DataSource wich takes the remaining byte[], wrapped into
ByteArrayInputStream, as a source,
3. instantiate new MimeMultipart() with 2. and
4. make a traversal over 3.

BTW: if content type is text/plain, one can do without 3 and 4.

Igor Planinc

Roedy said:
does it do a bulk export? or only message by message?

Oh, I don't know. I was just guessing. I never used Outlook. In the old days I
used Outlook Express. As far as I can remember it didn't have bulk export in
..eml, just a message at a time. But since Outlook is a "pro" version, I think it
should have it. Or maybe some other format close to MimeMultipart, maybe even
MimeMultipart itself.