Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on development machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rod, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Rod

    Rod Guest

    I have been working with ASP.NET 1.1 for quite a while now. For some
    reason, opening some ASP.NET applications we wrote is producing the
    following error message:

    "The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
    open the Web project located at the following URL:
    'http://localhost/WebApplication1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'."

    I am working on a Windows XP Professional machine. I had opened and edited
    the same ASP.NET application no more than 2 weeks ago; now I cannot open it
    at all without getting this error message.

    I have tried looking at MSDN and the one article I found that which
    described this situation is article 822319, but that is for Windows 2003
    Server, which I am not using.

    I have also tried running aspnet_regiis for .NET 1.1, but that didn't help.

    I have to suspect that this is a result of one of Microsoft's recent
    critical updates, as nothing else has gone onto my machine since working on
    the ASP.NET applications a couple of weeks ago. Also, other developers who
    work for me are experiencing the same problem (we all have Windows XP Pro
    installed, with SP 1 for XP applied).

    Any suggestions/recommendations please?

    Rod

    Rod, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Hi Rod,

    Can you try browsing to an ASPX page on this server and tell me what it
    says? You may need to make sure that you have friendly HTTP error messages
    disabled in the browser.

    Thanks.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Rod" <>
    >Subject: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on

    development machine
    >Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    ..phx.gbl

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 12, 2004

  3. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Hi Jim,

    I have made sure that friendly HTTP error messages are disabled in IE.

    When I tried browsing one of the ASPX pages, I got the following error:

    "Server Application Unavailable
    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.

    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. "

    Next, I checked the event log and found the following:

    "Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1084
    Date: 7/13/2004
    Time: 7:40:38 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: AMCI-43
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
    ..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
    directory allow access to the configured account."

    I notice that this error message is coming up every 30 seconds or so, so
    something odd is/has happened.

    Rod

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rod,
    >
    > Can you try browsing to an ASPX page on this server and tell me what it
    > says? You may need to make sure that you have friendly HTTP error

    messages
    > disabled in the browser.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    > Microsoft Developer Support
    >

    > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > >From: "Rod" <>
    > >Subject: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on

    > development machine
    > >Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09

    Rod, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Rod,

    Everytime there is a request for an ASP.NET resource, IIS will attempt to
    launch the aspnet_wp.exe process. If there is some problem with that, this
    event will be logged.

    The HRESULT you are seeing maps to ERR_BAD_TOKEN_TYPE. This indicates to
    me that the ASPNET account might not have sufficient user rights to launch
    the process. I would check the following user rights in Group Policy:

    Log on as a batch job
    Log on as a service

    The ASPNET account should have both of those rights.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Rod" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on

    development machine

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 13, 2004
  5. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Hello Jim,

    I have tried to do as you suggested. I ran gpedit.msc on my Windows XP
    Professional machine; I went into:

    Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security
    Settings | Local Policies | User Rights Assignment

    I found both policies you mentioned ("Log on as a batch job" and "Log on as
    a service") listed there. I brought up both policies' properties pages, but
    found that I could do nothing with them (the "Add user or group..." and
    "Remove" buttons are disabled). I don't understand how this could be, as I
    am in the Administrators group on my own machine.

    Help!

    > Rod,
    >
    > Everytime there is a request for an ASP.NET resource, IIS will attempt to
    > launch the aspnet_wp.exe process. If there is some problem with that,

    this
    > event will be logged.
    >
    > The HRESULT you are seeing maps to ERR_BAD_TOKEN_TYPE. This indicates to
    > me that the ASPNET account might not have sufficient user rights to launch
    > the process. I would check the following user rights in Group Policy:
    >
    > Log on as a batch job
    > Log on as a service
    >
    > The ASPNET account should have both of those rights.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    > Microsoft Developer Support
    >

    > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > >From: "Rod" <>

    > <>
    > >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'

    on
    > development machine
    > >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:43:13 -0600
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP0

    "

    Rod, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Jim,

    OK, I've done some experimenting of my own. I have found that if I put the
    ASPNET user into my machine's local Administrators group, that will "fix"
    the problem. However, I strongly suspect that adding the ASPNET user to the
    Administrators group is NOT a good idea.

    So, the question is, what is it that ASPNET needs permissions to, that it
    doesn't have permissions too (so that I can take ASPNET out of my local
    Administrators group)?

    Rod, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Rod,

    The problem is almost certainly a cause of the local ASPNET account not
    having the "Log on as a batch job" right. The fact that you cannot access
    this indicates to me that this right is configured on your network via a
    group policy object. Can you check with your IT folks to see if that is
    the case?

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Rod" <>

    <>
    <#TD29$>
    <>

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 13, 2004
  8. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Jim,

    Yes, I can talk with the IT folks and see if that can be done. Would we
    have to add the ASPNET account from each developer's machine to the GPO for
    the domain, and allow "Log on as a batch job" for each one of them?

    > Rod,
    >
    > The problem is almost certainly a cause of the local ASPNET account not
    > having the "Log on as a batch job" right. The fact that you cannot access
    > this indicates to me that this right is configured on your network via a
    > group policy object. Can you check with your IT folks to see if that is
    > the case?
    >
    > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    > Microsoft Developer Support
    >

    > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >

    > --------------------
    > >From: "Rod" <>

    > <>
    > <#TD29$>
    > <>
    > >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'

    on
    > development machine
    > >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:56:30 -0600
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12

    Rod, Jul 14, 2004
  9. Hi Rod,

    Yes, that is correct.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Rod" <>

    <>
    <#TD29$>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on

    development machine
    >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:12:25 -0600
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    66.167.130.213

    >Jim,
    >
    >Yes, I can talk with the IT folks and see if that can be done. Would we
    >have to add the ASPNET account from each developer's machine to the GPO for
    >the domain, and allow "Log on as a batch job" for each one of them?
    >
    >Rod
    >

    >"Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    >> Rod,
    >>
    >> The problem is almost certainly a cause of the local ASPNET account not
    >> having the "Log on as a batch job" right. The fact that you cannot

    access
    >> this indicates to me that this right is configured on your network via a
    >> group policy object. Can you check with your IT folks to see if that is
    >> the case?
    >>
    >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    >> Microsoft Developer Support
    >>

    >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >>

    >> --------------------
    >> >From: "Rod" <>

    >> <>
    >> <#TD29$>
    >> <>
    >> >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'

    >on
    >> development machine
    >> >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:56:30 -0600
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    >>

    >cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP1

    2
    >> phx.gbl

    >microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:246737
    >> >
    >> >Jim,
    >> >
    >> >OK, I've done some experimenting of my own. I have found that if I put

    >the
    >> >ASPNET user into my machine's local Administrators group, that will

    "fix"
    >> >the problem. However, I strongly suspect that adding the ASPNET user to

    >> the
    >> >Administrators group is NOT a good idea.
    >> >
    >> >So, the question is, what is it that ASPNET needs permissions to, that

    it
    >> >doesn't have permissions too (so that I can take ASPNET out of my local
    >> >Administrators group)?
    >> >
    >> >Rod
    >> >
    >> >"Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    >> >this

    >> launch

    rights.

    >Error'
    >> >on

    >>cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG

    >> 0

    IE.

    >error:

    is
    >> >browser

    >> specific

    >> occur.
    >> >"

    has

    >that
    >> >installation

    >so

    message

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 14, 2004
  10. Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on

    Run aspnet_regiis -i to add the ASPNET account back.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=" <>

    <>
    <#TD29$>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <E$>
    >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on
    >Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:00:02 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    >
    >I think I am having the same problem. I'm on XP Pro and Framework 1.1. I

    had deleted my ASPNET, IUSR and IWAM accounts and then reinstalled the
    framework and VS.NET. The reinstall added the IUSR and IWAM users back but
    not the ASPNET user. Still cannot create or open any Web Projects. Thanks
    for any help.

    >"Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Rod,
    >>
    >> Yes, that is correct.
    >>
    >> Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    >> MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    >> Microsoft Developer Support
    >>

    >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: "Rod" <>

    >> <>
    >> <#TD29$>
    >> <>
    >> <>
    >> <>
    >> >Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'

    on
    >> development machine
    >> >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:12:25 -0600
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    >> 66.167.130.213

    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP0
    >> 8.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

    >> >Jim,
    >> >
    >> >Yes, I can talk with the IT folks and see if that can be done. Would we
    >> >have to add the ASPNET account from each developer's machine to the GPO

    for
    >> >the domain, and allow "Log on as a batch job" for each one of them?
    >> >
    >> >Rod
    >> >

    >> >"Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    not

    >> access

    via a

    is

    rights.

    Error'
    >> >on

    >cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP1
    >> 2

    put
    >> >the

    >> "fix"