Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on development machine

Rod

I have been working with ASP.NET 1.1 for quite a while now. For some
reason, opening some ASP.NET applications we wrote is producing the
following error message:

"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/WebApplication1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'."

I am working on a Windows XP Professional machine. I had opened and edited
the same ASP.NET application no more than 2 weeks ago; now I cannot open it
at all without getting this error message.

I have tried looking at MSDN and the one article I found that which
described this situation is article 822319, but that is for Windows 2003
Server, which I am not using.

I have also tried running aspnet_regiis for .NET 1.1, but that didn't help.

I have to suspect that this is a result of one of Microsoft's recent
critical updates, as nothing else has gone onto my machine since working on
the ASP.NET applications a couple of weeks ago. Also, other developers who
work for me are experiencing the same problem (we all have Windows XP Pro
installed, with SP 1 for XP applied).

Any suggestions/recommendations please?

Rod

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Rod,

Can you try browsing to an ASPX page on this server and tell me what it
says? You may need to make sure that you have friendly HTTP error messages
disabled in the browser.

Thanks.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Rod

Hi Jim,

I have made sure that friendly HTTP error messages are disabled in IE.

When I tried browsing one of the ASPX pages, I got the following error:

"Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. "

Next, I checked the event log and found the following:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1084
Date: 7/13/2004
Time: 7:40:38 AM
User: N/A
Computer: AMCI-43
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account."

I notice that this error message is coming up every 30 seconds or so, so
something odd is/has happened.

Rod

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
Subject: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on development machine
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Rod,

Everytime there is a request for an ASP.NET resource, IIS will attempt to
launch the aspnet_wp.exe process. If there is some problem with that, this
event will be logged.

The HRESULT you are seeing maps to ERR_BAD_TOKEN_TYPE. This indicates to
me that the ASPNET account might not have sufficient user rights to launch
the process. I would check the following user rights in Group Policy:

Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service

The ASPNET account should have both of those rights.

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Hello Jim,

I have tried to do as you suggested. I ran gpedit.msc on my Windows XP
Professional machine; I went into:

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security
Settings | Local Policies | User Rights Assignment

I found both policies you mentioned ("Log on as a batch job" and "Log on as
a service") listed there. I brought up both policies' properties pages, but
found that I could do nothing with them (the "Add user or group..." and
"Remove" buttons are disabled). I don't understand how this could be, as I
am in the Administrators group on my own machine.

Help!

Rod

Jim Cheshire said:
Rod,

Everytime there is a request for an ASP.NET resource, IIS will attempt to
launch the aspnet_wp.exe process. If there is some problem with that, this
event will be logged.

The HRESULT you are seeing maps to ERR_BAD_TOKEN_TYPE. This indicates to
me that the ASPNET account might not have sufficient user rights to launch
the process. I would check the following user rights in Group Policy:

Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service

The ASPNET account should have both of those rights.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'
on
development machine

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
Subject: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error' on
development machine
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

OK, I've done some experimenting of my own. I have found that if I put the
ASPNET user into my machine's local Administrators group, that will "fix"
the problem. However, I strongly suspect that adding the ASPNET user to the
Administrators group is NOT a good idea.

So, the question is, what is it that ASPNET needs permissions to, that it
doesn't have permissions too (so that I can take ASPNET out of my local
Administrators group)?

Rod

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
development machine
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

The problem is almost certainly a cause of the local ASPNET account not
having the "Log on as a batch job" right. The fact that you cannot access
this indicates to me that this right is configured on your network via a
group policy object. Can you check with your IT folks to see if that is
the case?

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
<[email protected]>

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
development machine
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP 0
9
phx.gbl

[...]

Yes, I can talk with the IT folks and see if that can be done. Would we
have to add the ASPNET account from each developer's machine to the GPO for
the domain, and allow "Log on as a batch job" for each one of them?

Rod

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Getting error message 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server
Error'
on
development machine

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
development machine
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Yes, that is correct.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
on
development machine
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:43:13 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P
0
8.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:54:06 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
0
9
phx.gbl

[...]

Run aspnet_regiis -i to add the ASPNET account back.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:00:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

I think I am having the same problem. I'm on XP Pro and Framework 1.1. I
had deleted my ASPNET, IUSR and IWAM accounts and then reinstalled the
framework and VS.NET. The reinstall added the IUSR and IWAM users back but
not the ASPNET user. Still cannot create or open any Web Projects. Thanks
for any help.

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
on
development machine

From: "Rod" <[email protected]>
Error'
on
development machine

Date: 7/13/2004
Time: 7:40:38 AM
[...]

This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.