    Thanks,

    James McLaughlin.
    , Aug 10, 2004

  2. [OT] Re: Getting GCC from SourceForge

    Cygwin would be at cygwin.com, not sourceforge..

    You can get that information at http://mingw.org/download.shtml

    > 2.) Which of the Candidate, Current, and Previous versions is the best
    > choice to download and install?

    Safest would be current..

    > 3.) How fully tested/debugged are Candidate and Propsed downloads?

    Pretty well :)

    http://mingw.org/download.shtml, again

    > 5.) Do GNU C and C++ deviate from the ANSI standard in any way?

    Yes, many ways - many extentions are offered. See http://gcc.gnu.org for
    that.

    Seriously, most of the infor you're looking for is on their website and
    has nothing to do with ISO C++ - and hence is off-topic here. Have a
    look at http://mingw.org/lists.shtml to know where to ask questions, and
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html to know how to.

    rlc
    Ronald Landheer-Cieslak, Aug 10, 2004

  3. zeroSpamOff! Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Getting GCC from SourceForge

    >> 1.) What "Candidate", "Proposed", and "Snapshot" mean in this context?
    >You can get that information at http://mingw.org/download.shtml

    Um, actually that information's not there.

    >> 2.) Which of the Candidate, Current, and Previous versions is the best
    >> choice to download and install?

    >Safest would be current..

    Thank you.

    >> 3.) How fully tested/debugged are Candidate and Propsed downloads?

    >Pretty well :)

    Uh, you say "Pretty well", but is that smiley meant to imply
    otherwise?

    >> 4.) How do I add another compiler to the GCC after it's installed?
    >> I'll need to know this when GNU Fortran and Pascal are ready (as also
    >> GNU Cobol many years from now)

    >http://mingw.org/download.shtml, again

    Is this the bit that says "Updated versions of individual packages
    will sometimes be made available in between releases of the main MinGW
    distribution... in most cases it should be possible to extract a
    package's content into your MinGW directory to take advantage of the
    updates immediately"?

    zeroSpamOff!, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Re: [OT] Re: Getting GCC from SourceForge

    zeroSpamOff! wrote:
    >>>1.) What "Candidate", "Proposed", and "Snapshot" mean in this context?

    >>You can get that information at http://mingw.org/download.shtml

    > Um, actually that information's not there.

    Hmm.. in that case you should probably ask the MinGW people directly..

    >>>3.) How fully tested/debugged are Candidate and Propsed downloads?

    >>Pretty well :)

    > Uh, you say "Pretty well", but is that smiley meant to imply
    > otherwise?

    Nope - the smiley was meant to imply that I'm pretty happy with the
    state of affairs at MinGW, as far as quality is concerned :)

    >>>4.) How do I add another compiler to the GCC after it's installed?
    >>>I'll need to know this when GNU Fortran and Pascal are ready (as also
    >>>GNU Cobol many years from now)

    >>http://mingw.org/download.shtml, again

    > Is this the bit that says "Updated versions of individual packages
    > will sometimes be made available in between releases of the main MinGW
    > distribution... in most cases it should be possible to extract a
    > package's content into your MinGW directory to take advantage of the
    > updates immediately"?

    Basically, in MinGW, you can simply unroll the programs and they pretty
    much work without problems.

    Let me repeat, though:
    >>Seriously, most of the infor you're looking for is on their website and
    >>has nothing to do with ISO C++ - and hence is off-topic here. Have a
    >>look at http://mingw.org/lists.shtml to know where to ask questions, and
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html to know how to.

    Especially the first link may be of interest to you. Also note that
    people who find MinGW interesting often find Cygwin even more interesting..

    rlc

    --
    Cygwin: http://cygwin.com
    Ronald Landheer-Cieslak, Aug 23, 2004