Getting Group Membership

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dominick Baier, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. you have to query roles in the DOMAIN\GroupName format...

    ---
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security/<>

    Hi,

    I'm trying to do something that I think should be pretty easy, take the user who is authenticated with the application (intranet application/ integrated windows authentication), and determine if they are in "this group".

    Before, I had queried active directory, got the list of groups for the user and compared, but then I realized that the IsInRole Function may actually work in this case. I tried it and it doesn't seem to be working correctly. Here is what I've tried so far.

    I'm impersonating in my application, so I tried this....didn't work
    Dim blah As WindowsPrincipal = New WindowsPrincipal(System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent())
    If blah.IsInRole("Domain Admins") = True Then
    'is a domain admin
    End If

    Then I tried this:
    If HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("Domain Admins") = True Then
    'is a domain admin
    End If

    Still didn't return true (I am a member of this group too!) Am I missing something here, or so I just go back to querying active directory myself for group membership?

    Thanks for any help!
    --Michael

    [microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security]
    Dominick Baier, Sep 12, 2004