    Ideal would be a book full of problems but at the 'i just completed
    learn to program by c.pine' level. Ive looked at so many books on ruby
    but most have hardly any problems to practice with.

    Adam Akhtar, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Adam Akhtar

    Ian E^n Guest

    I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking for
    just general programming excersises and trying to translate them over to
    ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to do it in
    ruby.

    Ian E^n, Jan 24, 2008

  3. Adam Akhtar

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Jan 24, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Ian E^n wrote:

    > I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking
    > for
    > just general programming excersises and trying to translate them
    > over to
    > ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to do it in
    > ruby.

    Something that might help is to write stuff that you'll find useful.
    Perhaps look for stuff that you currently do manually and would like
    to automate. I have Ruby scripts that analyze my month's banking
    transactions (available as a CSV file from my online banking account)
    and help me reconcile my statement. I have scripts that tidy up
    temporary files. I have scripts that create HTML fragments from plain-
    text textile files. All these are pretty simple, but I've come to rely
    on them. And having a use for them afterwards makes the learning more
    interesting...

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Adam Akhtar

    John Maclean Guest

    I've found that I learn faster when I have a system to play with or a
    previous project that I can "Rubify". Do some trivial stuff:-
    Where are the top five largest files in the system, the five oldest,
    etc. This worked for me as it helped me to think in terms of objects
    within a week.

    See a telephone number - play with the digits. Car registration, play
    with the letters...

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:57:42 +0900 Ian E^n
    <> wrote:

    > I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking
    > for just general programming excersises and trying to translate them
    > over to ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to
    > do it in ruby.

    Regards,

    John Maclean
    MSc (DIC)
    +44 7739 171 531

    John Maclean, Jan 25, 2008
  5. On Jan 25, 2008 12:23 AM, Adam Akhtar <> wrote:

    > Ideal would be a book full of problems but at the 'i just completed
    > learn to program by c.pine' level. Ive looked at so many books on ruby
    > but most have hardly any problems to practice with.

    "Practical Ruby Projects" is quite useful. I got it this week. It
    features seven or eight projects. You start with a goal and the author
    leads you through it. I started with the fifth chapter "Turn based
    strategy game". It is well explained, I am learning a few new things
    and get that project done. Pretty much fun.

    http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ruby-Projects-Eclectic-Programmer/dp/159059911X/

    Thomas Wieczorek, Jan 25, 2008