getting in lots of practice at begginner level.

Adam Akhtar

hi just getting to grips with ruby. I need more problems to solve that
are fairly targeted on a particular area of ruby, perhaps short as well.
E.g stuff with strings and their methods, or handling 2d arrays, file
input etc. I dont want problems that require use of too many areas of
ruby bar the basic stuff such as loops and flow control etc.

Rubyquiz problems look great but they are too involved for me. Its like
trying to run before you can walk.

Ideal would be a book full of problems but at the 'i just completed
learn to program by c.pine' level. Ive looked at so many books on ruby
but most have hardly any problems to practice with.

Ian E^n

I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking for
just general programming excersises and trying to translate them over to
ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to do it in
ruby.

Dave Thomas

I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking
for
just general programming excersises and trying to translate them
over to
ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to do it in
ruby.

Something that might help is to write stuff that you'll find useful.
Perhaps look for stuff that you currently do manually and would like
to automate. I have Ruby scripts that analyze my month's banking
transactions (available as a CSV file from my online banking account)
and help me reconcile my statement. I have scripts that tidy up
temporary files. I have scripts that create HTML fragments from plain-
text textile files. All these are pretty simple, but I've come to rely
on them. And having a use for them afterwards makes the learning more
interesting...

Dave

John Maclean

I've found that I learn faster when I have a system to play with or a
previous project that I can "Rubify". Do some trivial stuff:-
Where are the top five largest files in the system, the five oldest,
etc. This worked for me as it helped me to think in terms of objects
within a week.

See a telephone number - play with the digits. Car registration, play
with the letters...

I'd also like to know! However, one thing i've been doing is looking
for just general programming excersises and trying to translate them
over to ruby. Some won't work 1:1 but you can find a similar way to
do it in ruby.

Regards,

John Maclean
MSc (DIC)
+44 7739 171 531

Thomas Wieczorek

Ideal would be a book full of problems but at the 'i just completed
learn to program by c.pine' level. Ive looked at so many books on ruby
but most have hardly any problems to practice with.

"Practical Ruby Projects" is quite useful. I got it this week. It
features seven or eight projects. You start with a goal and the author
leads you through it. I started with the fifth chapter "Turn based
strategy game". It is well explained, I am learning a few new things
and get that project done. Pretty much fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Ruby-Projects-Eclectic-Programmer/dp/159059911X/