    get the HDD ID/Serial Number also using asp? Please advice.

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Jun 3, 2006

  2. Hello,

    ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed on the
    server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you would be
    required to execute something on the client, because the client does not
    send this information onto the network.

    So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
    ID/Serial number from the client.

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert

    Kristofer Gafvert, Jun 3, 2006

  3. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    "Kristofer Gafvert" wrote
    > Hello,
    >
    > ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed on the
    > server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you would be
    > required to execute something on the client, because the client does not
    > send this information onto the network.
    >
    > So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
    > ID/Serial number from the client.

    Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that "something"
    that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC Address and HDD
    Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow that to be executed.
    We can make sure that user has to allow the code / script. Please suggest
    how can I get those?

    In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will execute
    in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

    Thanks in advance
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Prabhat

    Evertjan. Guest

    Prabhat wrote on 05 jun 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > "Kristofer Gafvert" wrote
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed
    >> on the server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you
    >> would be required to execute something on the client, because the
    >> client does not send this information onto the network.
    >>
    >> So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
    >> ID/Serial number from the client.
    >>

    > Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that
    > "something" that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC
    > Address and HDD Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow
    > that to be executed. We can make sure that user has to allow the code
    > / script. Please suggest how can I get those?
    >
    > In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will
    > execute in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

    That is off topic, Prabhat,
    because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

    [And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
    why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jun 5, 2006
  5. "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Prabhat wrote on 05 jun 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >
    > > "Kristofer Gafvert" wrote
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed
    > >> on the server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you
    > >> would be required to execute something on the client, because the
    > >> client does not send this information onto the network.
    > >>
    > >> So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
    > >> ID/Serial number from the client.
    > >>

    > > Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that
    > > "something" that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC
    > > Address and HDD Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow
    > > that to be executed. We can make sure that user has to allow the code
    > > / script. Please suggest how can I get those?
    > >
    > > In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will
    > > execute in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

    > That is off topic, Prabhat,
    > because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.
    >
    > [And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
    > why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

    How many user do you know that have any clue what a MAC Address is let alone
    be able to provide it?
    A lot of users neither know nor care what a hard disk is.

    Anthony Jones, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    HI Evertjan,

    > That is off topic, Prabhat,
    > because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

    My web pages are ASP scripts where I need the Client PC's Physical Address
    (MAC Address). So I need to do that using some technique in ASP (I dont
    know, but I think a Javascript / some script / some file that I need to send
    to client's PC that should get the address and send back to server)

    > [And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
    > why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

    Most of the users even dont know what is that address is. So I want to get
    that using some script. Can you help me to get into the technique /
    procedure / script?

    Thanks
    Prabhat

    Prabhat, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Prabhat

    Mike Brind Guest

    Prabhat wrote:
    > HI Evertjan,
    >
    > > That is off topic, Prabhat,
    > > because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

    > My web pages are ASP scripts where I need the Client PC's Physical Address
    > (MAC Address). So I need to do that using some technique in ASP (I dont
    > know, but I think a Javascript / some script / some file that I need to send
    > to client's PC that should get the address and send back to server)

    The fact that your pages are ASP scripts is irrelevant, because as has
    already been pointed out, there is no technique in ASP that allows you
    to do this. Therefore you need to use a different technology. Each
    technology has its own newsgroup, so you are better off asking in the
    appropriate group.

    I don't know enough about javascript, but I doubt that it allows you to
    do what you want - the people at microsoft.public.scripting.jscript can
    help you more. Otherwise you will have to author your own exe file.
    Pick a group that discusses the language in which you want to do this
    (C/C++, VB, C#, VB.NET, Delphi....)

    Whatever, your requirement is definitely off-topic in this group.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jun 5, 2006