Getting MAC Address using ASP

Prabhat

Hi Friends,

It it possible to get the MAC Address of the client PC using ASP. Also can I
get the HDD ID/Serial Number also using asp? Please advice.

Thanks
Prabhat

Kristofer Gafvert

Hello,

ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed on the
server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you would be
required to execute something on the client, because the client does not
send this information onto the network.

So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
ID/Serial number from the client.

Prabhat

Hello,

ASP is a server side scripting technology, and the code is executed on the
server. To get the HDD ID/Serial number of the client, you would be
required to execute something on the client, because the client does not
send this information onto the network.

So the answer is, no, it is not possible to use ASP to get the HDD
ID/Serial number from the client.
Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that "something"
that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC Address and HDD
Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow that to be executed.
We can make sure that user has to allow the code / script. Please suggest
how can I get those?

In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will execute
in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

Thanks in advance
Prabhat

Evertjan.

Prabhat wrote on 05 jun 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that
"something" that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC
Address and HDD Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow
that to be executed. We can make sure that user has to allow the code
/ script. Please suggest how can I get those?

In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will
execute in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

That is off topic, Prabhat,
because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

[And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

Anthony Jones

Evertjan. said:
Prabhat wrote on 05 jun 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Hello! Thanks for the info? Can you please tell me what is that
"something" that I can run on clients PC so that I can get the MAC
Address and HDD Serail No of the system. I think the user has to allow
that to be executed. We can make sure that user has to allow the code
/ script. Please suggest how can I get those?

In this case can I send some executable or file or script that will
execute in clients PC to get these info. If yes please suggest how?

That is off topic, Prabhat,
because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

[And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

How many user do you know that have any clue what a MAC Address is let alone
be able to provide it?
A lot of users neither know nor care what a hard disk is.

Prabhat

HI Evertjan,
That is off topic, Prabhat,
because it has nothing to do with ASP server side scripting.

My web pages are ASP scripts where I need the Client PC's Physical Address
(MAC Address). So I need to do that using some technique in ASP (I dont
know, but I think a Javascript / some script / some file that I need to send
to client's PC that should get the address and send back to server)
[And if the client user will agree, which I doubt,
why not simply ask him or her to submit those values in a form?]

Most of the users even dont know what is that address is. So I want to get
that using some script. Can you help me to get into the technique /
procedure / script?

Thanks
Prabhat

Mike Brind

Prabhat said:
HI Evertjan,

My web pages are ASP scripts where I need the Client PC's Physical Address
(MAC Address). So I need to do that using some technique in ASP (I dont
know, but I think a Javascript / some script / some file that I need to send
to client's PC that should get the address and send back to server)

The fact that your pages are ASP scripts is irrelevant, because as has
already been pointed out, there is no technique in ASP that allows you
to do this. Therefore you need to use a different technology. Each
technology has its own newsgroup, so you are better off asking in the
appropriate group.

I don't know enough about javascript, but I doubt that it allows you to
do what you want - the people at microsoft.public.scripting.jscript can
help you more. Otherwise you will have to author your own exe file.
Pick a group that discusses the language in which you want to do this
(C/C++, VB, C#, VB.NET, Delphi....)

Whatever, your requirement is definitely off-topic in this group.