Getting mods to install?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by news@celticbear.com, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
    perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.
    Like:
    REQUIRED module missing: Digest::SHA1
    optional module missing: Net::DNS
    optional module missing: Mail::SPF::Query
    optional module missing: IP::Country
    optional module missing: Razor2
    optional module missing: Net::Ident
    optional module missing: IO::Socket::INET6
    optional module missing: IO::Socket::SSL
    optional module missing: Time::HiRes
    optional module out of date: Getopt::Long
    optional module missing: Archive::Tar
    optional module missing: IO::Zlib

    Ibviously I looked on the Spamassassin site, FAQ, for Perl mod info,
    and found none.
    I searched the newsgroup for installing mods, and I find a lot of
    messages about problems with install, but nothing about how you get
    mods in the first place.

    I've never had to deal with Perl before, so I guess it's obvious to
    someone who knows about Perl, but I can't seem to find the first step
    to getting/installing mods.

    Any clue-by-fours anyone can provide?
    Thanks!
    Liam

    , Oct 18, 2005

  2. Keith Keller Guest

    On 2005-10-18, <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
    > perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.

    Spamassassin *is* a Perl module, so you install the other modules the
    same way. Their downloads page suggests:

    Perl users: SpamAssassin can be downloaded from CPAN.

    Substitute the name of your module for SpamAssassin, and you can install
    (almost) any Perl module. CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
    hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try

    perldoc CPAN

    or

    http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/perl-5.8.0/lib/CPAN.pm

    for more info.

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, Oct 18, 2005

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
    > hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try
    >
    > perldoc CPAN

    When you run perl -MCPAN for the first time, it will ask you what you
    want to do about pre-reqs (ask, follow, ignore). The default is "ask"
    but you probably want to select "follow" so it will automagically
    install all the pre-reqs for you.

    , Oct 18, 2005

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2005-10-18, <> wrote:
    > > I'm trying to install Spamassassin on our RedHat ES2, and running the
    > > perl Makefile, it says I need to install some mods.

    > Spamassassin *is* a Perl module, so you install the other modules the
    > same way. Their downloads page suggests:
    >
    > Perl users: SpamAssassin can be downloaded from CPAN.
    >
    > Substitute the name of your module for SpamAssassin, and you can install
    > (almost) any Perl module. CPAN does a whole lot more, too, including
    > hunt down and install dependencies if you ask it to. Try
    >
    > perldoc CPAN

    Wow! That's way cool. It's kind of like a "yum" in a way.
    I guess I didn't get that from the examples I saw. I saw the CPAN
    commands here and there in newsgroup postings, but didn't understand
    that it was downloading the module in the process.

    Thanks for the help!
    Liam

    , Oct 18, 2005
  5. Keith Keller Guest

    On 2005-10-18, <> wrote:

    > When you run perl -MCPAN for the first time,

    Or, for recent versions of CPAN, just run cpan from the commandline.
    (Hey, those seven characters could be better spent elsewhere!)

    --keith

    Keith Keller, Oct 18, 2005