Getting mount stats for filesystems

Mitko Haralanov

Hi, I am trying to find a way to figure out whether a certain remote
filesystem is mounted using tcp vs. udp in Python. I've looked at the
statvfs call and module but they don't give me anything useful (the
F_FLAGS field for both a tcp and a udp filesystem is the same.

I could, of course, get the output of mount and parse that but I would
prefer something more elegant.

Thanks for your help!

--
Mitko Haralanov (e-mail address removed)
Senior Software Engineer 650.934.8064

Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.
-- Mt.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Mitko said:
Hi, I am trying to find a way to figure out whether a certain remote
filesystem is mounted using tcp vs. udp in Python. I've looked at the
statvfs call and module but they don't give me anything useful (the
F_FLAGS field for both a tcp and a udp filesystem is the same.

I could, of course, get the output of mount and parse that but I would
prefer something more elegant.

I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve. You are on machine B,
and you want to find out whether a remote file system (on machine A)
is mounted remotely (say, from machine C)?

How do you answer that question with mount(8)?

Also, what is a tcp filesystem?

Regards,
Martin

Mitko Haralanov

I'm not quite sure what you want to achieve. You are on machine B,
and you want to find out whether a remote file system (on machine A)
is mounted remotely (say, from machine C)?

Ok, let me try to explain:

I am on machine A, which has a NFS mounted filesystem hosted on machine
B. All I need to find out is whether the NFS filesystem is mounted
using tcp or udp.

--
Mitko Haralanov (e-mail address removed)
Senior Software Engineer 650.934.8064
System Interconnect Group http://www.qlogic.com

Paul: If rubbin' frozen dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey,
I don't wanna be right.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

I am on machine A, which has a NFS mounted filesystem hosted on machine
B. All I need to find out is whether the NFS filesystem is mounted
using tcp or udp.

Ah, ok. I recommend to parse /proc/mounts.

Regards,
Martin

Mitko Haralanov

Ah, ok. I recommend to parse /proc/mounts.

I was looking for something that reminded me less of Perl and more of C
but haven't been able to find such a method.

--
Mitko Haralanov (e-mail address removed)
Senior Software Engineer 650.934.8064
System Interconnect Group http://www.qlogic.com

.... A booming voice says, "Wrong, cretin!", and you notice that you
have turned into a pile of dust.

?

Mitko said:
I was looking for something that reminded me less of Perl and more of C
but haven't been able to find such a method.

You could try to invoke getmntent(3). I'm not aware of a Python wrapper
for it, so you either try to write one yourself in C, or use ctypes to
write it in Python.

Regards,
Martin

Mitko Haralanov

You could try to invoke getmntent(3). I'm not aware of a Python wrapper
for it, so you either try to write one yourself in C, or use ctypes to
write it in Python.

I am looking at ctypes and it might do what I need but I can't figure
out a way to convert a Python File object to a C FILE pointer (which is
the needed argument for getmntent).

Any ideas?

--
Mitko Haralanov (e-mail address removed)
Senior Software Engineer 650.934.8064
System Interconnect Group http://www.qlogic.com

Fry: That clover helped my rat-fink brother steal my dream of going
into space. Now I'll never get there.
Leela: You went there this morning for donuts.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

I am looking at ctypes and it might do what I need but I can't figure
out a way to convert a Python File object to a C FILE pointer (which is
the needed argument for getmntent).

Any ideas?

I think you are supposed to pass the pointer to getmntent that you
obtained from setmntent (likely asking for read-only access).

Regards,
Martin