    I need to know the client logon name.

    Thanks.

    Alex Wolff, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Alex Wolff

    Mark Schupp Guest

    If you set your site to not allow anonymous access and to allow windows
    authentication then "logon_user" should return the client's network logon
    id. I believe there are some security issues if the server is not in the
    client's "local intranet zone" but the login to the server should be
    transparent otherwise.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    "Alex Wolff" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to know if its possible to create an ASP page that when requested
    > will display the network id of the requester.
    >
    > Most people have told me to query the

    request.servervariables("LOGON_USER").

    > But this will get me the login of the server and not the client. In our
    > situation we do not want to have our users login twice (once to their

    machine
    > (the client) and then again to the server (the one that serves the asp

    page).

    Mark Schupp, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Turn off anonymous access and you'll be able to use AUTH_USER. If this is
    an intranet and the person loads your page in IE, in default configuration,
    in the intranet zone, the person will not be prompted to authenticate.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 8, 2004
  4. Alex Wolff

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:25:02 -0700, "Alex Wolff"
    <> wrote:

    >I need to know if its possible to create an ASP page that when requested
    >will display the network id of the requester.
    >
    >Most people have told me to query the request.servervariables("LOGON_USER").
    >
    >But this will get me the login of the server and not the client. In our
    >situation we do not want to have our users login twice (once to their machine
    >(the client) and then again to the server (the one that serves the asp page).
    > I need to know the client logon name.

    If they don't log into the domain the web server is in, you won't get
    the correct account with this. If they log into the client, ASP can't
    do much for you, since ASP is server side and the client has the
    information. You'd need to run a client-side script to get the info.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Alex Wolff

    dave Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:25:02 -0700, "Alex Wolff"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I need to know if its possible to create an ASP page that when requested
    >>will display the network id of the requester.
    >>
    >>Most people have told me to query the
    >>request.servervariables("LOGON_USER").
    >>
    >>But this will get me the login of the server and not the client. In our
    >>situation we do not want to have our users login twice (once to their
    >>machine
    >>(the client) and then again to the server (the one that serves the asp
    >>page).
    >> I need to know the client logon name.

    > If they don't log into the domain the web server is in, you won't get
    > the correct account with this. If they log into the client, ASP can't
    > do much for you, since ASP is server side and the client has the
    > information. You'd need to run a client-side script to get the info.
    >
    > Jeff

    Hi I have succesfully used this to return the users login detail, but I now
    have a new problem I have assigned the login to a Session Variable, however
    when I come to use the string stored in the variable it excludes the \ which
    seperates the domain from the user name, which really is a pain. Anybody
    know why this is happening and how I can overcome it ?

    Thanks

    dave, Sep 13, 2004
  6. There's no reason that should happen. I suggest that you start a ~new~
    thread about this and post the code you're using both to put the value into
    the session variable as well as the code that you're using to pull it out
    and display it.

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 13, 2004