Getting "object expected" error in Windows XP only

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Rick, May 27, 2004.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I wrote the following code as part of a page where users can reorder a
    list of items by highlighting an item in a list box and clicking an
    "up" or "down" button to move the items around. The code below is for
    the up and down buttons along with a reset button (which reloads the
    list as it was originally) and a change button which applies the
    changes. In Explorer and Safari for Mac, this code works flawlessly.
    When I tested on Explorer in Windows XP, the lines for the up, down
    and change buttons generated an "object expected" error. The code for
    the reset button worked fine.

    <input type="button" value="up"
    onClick="javascript:moveSelection('up');" />
    <input type="button" value="down"
    onClick="javascript:moveSelection('down');" />
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    <input type="button" onClick="javascript:window.location.reload();"
    value="reset" />
    <input type="button" onClick="javascript:sendit();" value="change"
    />

    Barring a stupid oversight on my part (entirely within the realm of
    possibility) I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is an specific bug
    in Explorer XP that is causing this? Since the lines in question which
    generate the error are calling functions, I think it's reasonable to
    assume that's the issue. If so, is there a workaround or some
    alternate method that will avoid this problem?

    Thanks.

    --Rick
    Rick, May 27, 2004

  2. Rick

    bruce Guest

    (Rick) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I wrote the following code as part of a page where users can reorder a
    > list of items by highlighting an item in a list box and clicking an
    > "up" or "down" button to move the items around. The code below is for
    > the up and down buttons along with a reset button (which reloads the
    > list as it was originally) and a change button which applies the
    > changes. In Explorer and Safari for Mac, this code works flawlessly.
    > When I tested on Explorer in Windows XP, the lines for the up, down
    > and change buttons generated an "object expected" error. The code for
    > the reset button worked fine.
    >

    > <input type="button" value="up"
    > onClick="javascript:moveSelection('up');" />
    > <input type="button" value="down"
    > onClick="javascript:moveSelection('down');" />
    > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    > <input type="button" onClick="javascript:window.location.reload();"
    > value="reset" />
    > <input type="button" onClick="javascript:sendit();" value="change"
    > />
    >

    > Barring a stupid oversight on my part (entirely within the realm of
    > possibility) I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is an specific bug
    > in Explorer XP that is causing this? Since the lines in question which
    > generate the error are calling functions, I think it's reasonable to
    > assume that's the issue. If so, is there a workaround or some
    > alternate method that will avoid this problem?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --Rick

    Probably an error in your moveSelectin routine, even though the
    error may be stated as being in the calling statement.
    bruce, May 27, 2004

  3. Rick

    zurg Guest

    In article <>, bruce
    <> wrote:

    > Probably an error in your moveSelectin routine, even though the
    > error may be stated as being in the calling statement.

    It also happens with the call to sendit() so that threw me off. I
    wonder if I'm doing something at the start of both of those routines
    that's causing IE on XP to choke. It's probably what's happening. I'll
    look into it. Thanks.

    Damn frustrating that IE on the Mac and XP have apparently different
    implementations of Javascript.
    zurg, May 27, 2004
  4. Rick

    bruce Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message news:<1bz1s4vsnsaxz$.1boohr0kefdl4$>...
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:42:55 GMT, zurg wrote:
    >
    > > Damn frustrating that IE on the Mac and XP have apparently different
    > > implementations of Javascript.

    > add, HTML, CSS, Java..
    >
    > IE is a bottomless pit of woe for
    > web designers. Not only does it
    > break standards to which MS contributed,
    > but each IE implementation seems to break
    > them in subtly different ways. :-/

    I beg to disagree. We have found IE to be the most consistent and
    backwards-compatible of the browsers. We long ago discarded Netscape
    as an option, due to the fact that each subsequent release seemed to
    break all our code.
    bruce, May 28, 2004
  5. Rick

    Lee Guest

    bruce said:

    >Andrew Thompson <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:42:55 GMT, zurg wrote:
    >>
    >> > Damn frustrating that IE on the Mac and XP have apparently different
    >> > implementations of Javascript.

    >> add, HTML, CSS, Java..
    >>
    >> IE is a bottomless pit of woe for
    >> web designers. Not only does it
    >> break standards to which MS contributed,
    >> but each IE implementation seems to break
    >> them in subtly different ways. :-/

    >I beg to disagree. We have found IE to be the most consistent and
    >backwards-compatible of the browsers. We long ago discarded Netscape
    >as an option, due to the fact that each subsequent release seemed to
    >break all our code.

    Netscape 4 was written before the standard was finalized, so the
    upgrade from 4 to 6 was a significant change, and a significant
    improvement. If you discarded Netscape because of that, you've
    made a horrible mistake.

    Favoring backwards-compatibility over progress is a trap.
    Lee, May 28, 2004