    Does anyone know if ther is a mailserver which will do this?

    Many Thanks
    Simon
    Simon, Sep 3, 2007

  2. "Simon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have an application which sends emails.
    > Currently we use the mailenable web server.
    > If an email is not sent successfully then we want to update the email
    > address in our database as unreacheable automatically.
    > In other words we want a mail server that when it gives up sending an
    > email will do an http post, or will somehow communicate with our
    > software so that we can update our database.
    >
    > Does anyone know if ther is a mailserver which will do this?

    I'm not familiar with 'mailenable' however this functionality is built in to
    SMTP. If a SMTP server is unable to deliver a message it uses the address
    provided in the MAIL FROM command to send a delivery status notification
    message.

    Failures ought to be arriving at the mail box specified in the from address.
    If you don't want failure reports being delivered to the you applications
    from address you can add a Return-Path header to the message to contain a
    mailbox address which you can then monitor programattically and update your
    database.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Sep 7, 2007