Getting proper Stack information from memory dump

Microsoft News Server

Hi,

I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3 threads,
indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of the
app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
useful.

I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this build is
a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed in
the web app.

Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of detail
out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the three
threads always lock up with the last call being:

KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz

I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.

Thanks,

Rishan

bruce barker

you want the sos.dll for debugging clr code.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3 threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Rishan,

As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in Windbg
and then enter the following command to load it:

load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos

After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:

!clrstack

That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail by
running:

!clrstack -a

If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the issue,
that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on those
threads, try this:

!dumpstack

That will give you a lot more information.

Let me know if that helps you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3 threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Rishan

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I actually do remember trying this a few days ago, and I got stuck with the
following error:

after .load c:\\sos.dll (i put it in my root drive)

I get back from windbg:

The call to load library(c:\\sos.dll) failed. Win32 erro 127
"The specified procedure could not be found"
Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access.

I am currently using the .Net Framework 1.0, I believe I have the latest
service pack installed on my dev box.

I get the same message when I try to register the dll using regsvr32 "The

Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Rishan,

As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in Windbg
and then enter the following command to load it:

load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos

After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:

!clrstack

That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail by
running:

!clrstack -a

If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the issue,
that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on those
threads, try this:

!dumpstack

That will give you a lot more information.

Let me know if that helps you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed
in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Rishan

Hi Jim,

When I did a depends.exe on SOS.dll, I was able to resolve a couple of
missing DLLS, except one still causes a problem: msvcrt.dll.

I don't know if this is within the scope of your expertise, or this
newsgroup, but any help is greatly appreciated:

The error message out of depends is:

At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export
function in an implicitly dependent module.

The function is: _strtoui64

Am I missing the latest version of msvcrt.dll ? Would it be part of a
service pack I don't have?

Thanks,

Rishan

Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Rishan,

As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in Windbg
and then enter the following command to load it:

load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos

After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:

!clrstack

That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail by
running:

!clrstack -a

If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the issue,
that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on those
threads, try this:

!dumpstack

That will give you a lot more information.

Let me know if that helps you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed
in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Rishan

Ok, i got it working on my laptop, which has Win XP (and the latest
msvcrt.dll, which has that missing export...that function is only present in
version 7 and above of msvcrt.dll)...

thanks again for all the help..

Rishan
Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Rishan,

As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in Windbg
and then enter the following command to load it:

load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos

After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:

!clrstack

That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail by
running:

!clrstack -a

If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the issue,
that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on those
threads, try this:

!dumpstack

That will give you a lot more information.

Let me know if that helps you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed
in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Rishan,

SOS is not a COM DLL, so you cannot register it with regsvr32.

Try placing the DLL in the same directory as Windbg and running this:

load sos

No .dll after it. Just .load sos.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Rishan" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:05:40 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| Thanks for the help.
|
| I actually do remember trying this a few days ago, and I got stuck with
the
| following error:
|
| after .load c:\\sos.dll (i put it in my root drive)
|
| I get back from windbg:
|
| The call to load library(c:\\sos.dll) failed. Win32 erro 127
| "The specified procedure could not be found"
| Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access.
|
| I am currently using the .Net Framework 1.0, I believe I have the latest
| service pack installed on my dev box.
|
| I get the same message when I try to register the dll using regsvr32 "The
| specified procedure could not be found"
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan
| | > Hi Rishan,
| >
| > As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
| > code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in
Windbg
| > and then enter the following command to load it:
| >
| > load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos
| >
| > After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:
| >
| > !clrstack
| >
| > That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail
by
| > running:
| >
| > !clrstack -a
| >
| > If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the
issue,
| > that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on
those
| > threads, try this:
| >
| > !dumpstack
| >
| > That will give you a lot more information.
| >
| > Let me know if that helps you.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| > | Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in
my
| > | ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
| > threads,
| > | indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
| > the
| > | app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| > | useful.
| > |
| > | I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
| > build
| > is
| > | a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get
more
| > | information from the dump, like which lines of code are being
executed
| > in
| > | the web app.
| > |
| > | Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
| > detail
| > | out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
| > three
| > | threads always lock up with the last call being:
| > |
| > | KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
| > |
| > | I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Rishan
| > |
| > |
| > |

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Rishan,

Good deal. Glad you got it working.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Rishan" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:55:40 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Ok, i got it working on my laptop, which has Win XP (and the latest
| msvcrt.dll, which has that missing export...that function is only present
in
| version 7 and above of msvcrt.dll)...
|
| thanks again for all the help..
|
| Rishan
| | > Hi Rishan,
| >
| > As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
| > code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in
Windbg
| > and then enter the following command to load it:
| >
| > load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos
| >
| > After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:
| >
| > !clrstack
| >
| > That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail
by
| > running:
| >
| > !clrstack -a
| >
| > If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the
issue,
| > that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on
those
| > threads, try this:
| >
| > !dumpstack
| >
| > That will give you a lot more information.
| >
| > Let me know if that helps you.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| > | Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in
my
| > | ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
| > threads,
| > | indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
| > the
| > | app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| > | useful.
| > |
| > | I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
| > build
| > is
| > | a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get
more
| > | information from the dump, like which lines of code are being
executed
| > in
| > | the web app.
| > |
| > | Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
| > detail
| > | out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
| > three
| > | threads always lock up with the last call being:
| > |
| > | KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
| > |
| > | I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Rishan
| > |
| > |
| > |

Rishan

Hi,

I just would like to confirm that in order to see detailed stack
information, the original ASP.net app that I'm trying to debug must have
been built in "Debug" mode. The dump I currently have is about a week old,
when the app in production was built in "Release" mode. When I try to view
stack information, it says the thread is not a managed thread. If it had
been built in Debug mode, it would have recognized the thread as managed
correct?

Thanks,

Rishan

Jim Cheshire said:
Hi Rishan,

As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in Windbg
and then enter the following command to load it:

load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos

After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:

!clrstack

That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail by
running:

!clrstack -a

If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the issue,
that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on those
threads, try this:

!dumpstack

That will give you a lot more information.

Let me know if that helps you.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in my
| ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
threads,
| indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
the
| app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| useful.
|
| I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
build
is
| a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get more
| information from the dump, like which lines of code are being executed
in
| the web app.
|
| Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
detail
| out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
three
| threads always lock up with the last call being:
|
| KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
|
| I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Rishan,

No. The debugger isn't going to care about symbols for your assembly. We
use tokens to identify the addresses of functions, etc. Symbols are not
necessary.

If the debugger says that a thread is not a managed thread, it's not. You
can easily see managed code if you do a kb or a kp on a thread. If you see
no information other than the address in a frame, that usually indicates
managed code running in that thread. However, in any case, if a thread
says that it's not managed, it's not.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Rishan" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:56:06 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I just would like to confirm that in order to see detailed stack
| information, the original ASP.net app that I'm trying to debug must have
| been built in "Debug" mode. The dump I currently have is about a week
old,
| when the app in production was built in "Release" mode. When I try to
view
| stack information, it says the thread is not a managed thread. If it had
| been built in Debug mode, it would have recognized the thread as managed
| correct?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Rishan
|
| | > Hi Rishan,
| >
| > As Bruce said, you want to use the SOS extension for debugging managed
| > code. You can get it from the v1.1.4322 folder. Open your dump in
Windbg
| > and then enter the following command to load it:
| >
| > load c:\\windows\\microsoft.net\\framework\\v1.1.4322\\sos
| >
| > After it's loaded, you can use several methods to view the stack:
| >
| > !clrstack
| >
| > That will show you managed code in the stack. You can get more detail
by
| > running:
| >
| > !clrstack -a
| >
| > If you've already got Perfmon data that shows which threads are the
issue,
| > that should be all you need. If you'd like even more information on
those
| > threads, try this:
| >
| > !dumpstack
| >
| > That will give you a lot more information.
| >
| > Let me know if that helps you.
| >
| > Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
| > MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
| > ASP.NET Developer Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| >
| > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Microsoft News Server" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Getting proper Stack information from memory dump
| > | Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I am currently having a problem with random, intermittent lock ups in
my
| > | ASP.net application on our production server (99% CPU usage by 3
| > threads,
| > | indefinately). I currently use IIS Debug Tools to do a memory dump of
| > the
| > | app when the lock up occurs, however the stack information is not very
| > | useful.
| > |
| > | I have just put a new build of our system onto production, and this
| > build
| > is
| > | a "Debug" build as opposed to a "Release" build. I am hoping to get
more
| > | information from the dump, like which lines of code are being
executed
| > in
| > | the web app.
| > |
| > | Is there anything else I need to setup in order to get this level of
| > detail
| > | out of the dump. Right now, I am just getting Kernel calls, and the
| > three
| > | threads always lock up with the last call being:
| > |
| > | KERNEL32!lstrcmpiw+0xbz
| > |
| > | I am using Windbg to load and view the memory dump files.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Rishan