getting resource information: battery level and more

Maria

Hi all ! :)

I am trying to find a way to return the battery level of a notebook or
laptop or any mobile device (but to make it simple a laptop would be
fine).
I am trying to do this because I'm building for a project a small part
of an interface for a computational grid that would accommodate in
adition to the usual devices, wireless ones too.
( So I'm trying to measure what a device will be able to offer to the
Grid ... the next step will be to measure what applications are
running on a device and so on. )
I am doing this with Java on two computers, a desktop PC with Windows
2000 and a laptop with Windows XP.
Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
libraries.

Thanks !
Maria

Jonathan Turkanis

Maria said:
Hi all ! :)

I am trying to find a way to return the battery level of a notebook or
laptop or any mobile device (but to make it simple a laptop would be
fine).

Just include the standard header <battery>.

Seriously, this issue is not addressed in standard C++, so ask
elsewhere.

Regards,
Jonathan

Papadopoulos Giannis

Maria said:
Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
libraries.

Thanks !
Maria
OT, you should ask in a OS-related newsgroup (btw, are u using Win or
Linux?)

--
#include <stdio.h>
#define p(s) printf(#s" endian")

Giannis Papadopoulos
http://dop.users.uth.gr/
University of Thessaly
Computer & Communications Engineering dept.

Maria

Seriously I didn't know !
Also I didn't understand what you mean by standard header <battery>
.... would that be the title of the message ?
I guess I did find out something by asking here though , so thank you

Maria

Phlip

Maria said:
Seriously I didn't know !
Also I didn't understand what you mean by standard header <battery>

That is a thin attempt at humor:

#include <battery>

There is no such header.

You get the abuse because this newsgroup works best on platform-neutral C++
issues. Technical newsgroups should always focus closely on one topic, for
best results. Use http://groups.google.com to search for the best newsgroup
for your question - but you run the risk of finding the answer there too!

Whatever answer they give will be compatible with C++ - somehow...

Maria

Thank you very very much for your reply!
I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
here since I am looking for the c command.
btw, are u using Win or
Linux?
I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
platform :).
What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
afraid.

Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
Maria

Maria Gaitani

Thank you for your reply too :)
I have tried and searched a lot and have not found the answer... I am not
simply looking for a C or C++ command but for the whole program because I
am programming in Java and not in C.
The above is something that unfortunately I have not yet found not even in
Google.
Also I though there would be no harm in asking.

Thanks again,
Maria

Thomas Matthews

Maria said:
Thank you very very much for your reply!
I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
here since I am looking for the c command.

I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
platform :).
What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
afraid.

Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
Maria

I got a lot of articles by using Google and the terms
"Windows" "API" "Battery".

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Maria Gaitani

Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
don't
know c .. I am only using Java... it's just the only solution I can thing of
right now.
Thank you for taking the time to reply really ...but please don't suggest
that I don't know how to search google.
Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
of .. before sending the post.
Sorry..
Maria

Mark McIntyre

Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
don't know c ..

C doesn't have methods or procedures, it only has functions. But more
importantly, when it comes to system-specific stuff like you want, you
have to use the native APIs, in your case windows or linux. So you
already have your answer.
Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
of .. before sending the post.

For your information, asking offtopic questions in Comp.lang.c and
comp.lang.c++ will get you a polite redirection (like you got) to
either google or a platform-specific group. If you continue to ask
offtopic questions, you will get much less polite answers. Adding
"offtopic" to the subject will not help.....