getting resource information: battery level and more

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Maria, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Hi all ! :)

    I am trying to find a way to return the battery level of a notebook or
    laptop or any mobile device (but to make it simple a laptop would be
    fine).
    I am trying to do this because I'm building for a project a small part
    of an interface for a computational grid that would accommodate in
    adition to the usual devices, wireless ones too.
    ( So I'm trying to measure what a device will be able to offer to the
    Grid ... the next step will be to measure what applications are
    running on a device and so on. )
    I am doing this with Java on two computers, a desktop PC with Windows
    2000 and a laptop with Windows XP.
    Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
    to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
    Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
    I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
    battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
    libraries.

    Thanks !
    Maria
    Maria, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Maria wrote:
    > Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
    > to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
    > Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
    > I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
    > battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
    > libraries.
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Maria

    OT, you should ask in a OS-related newsgroup (btw, are u using Win or
    Linux?)

    --
    #include <stdio.h>
    #define p(s) printf(#s" endian")

    Giannis Papadopoulos
    http://dop.users.uth.gr/
    University of Thessaly
    Computer & Communications Engineering dept.
    Papadopoulos Giannis, Feb 2, 2004

  3. In comp.lang.c Maria <> wrote:

    (posted only to c.l.c, crosspost ended)

    > I am trying to find a way to return the battery level of a notebook or
    > laptop or any mobile device (but to make it simple a laptop would be
    > fine).

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/dj3vande/clc/clc-welcome.txt

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Thank you very very much for your reply!
    I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
    at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
    problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
    here since I am looking for the c command.

    > btw, are u using Win or
    > Linux?

    I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
    I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
    Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
    something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
    platform :).
    What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
    and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
    afraid.

    Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
    Maria
    Maria, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Maria wrote:

    > Thank you very very much for your reply!
    > I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
    > at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
    > problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
    > here since I am looking for the c command.
    >

    >>btw, are u using Win or
    >>Linux?
    >>

    > I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
    > I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
    > Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
    > something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
    > platform :).
    > What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
    > and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
    > afraid.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
    > Maria

    I got a lot of articles by using Google and the terms
    "Windows" "API" "Battery".

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
    API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
    don't
    know c .. I am only using Java... it's just the only solution I can thing of
    right now.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply really ...but please don't suggest
    that I don't know how to search google.
    Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
    should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
    of .. before sending the post.
    Sorry..
    Maria
    "Thomas Matthews" <> wrote in
    message news:K7zTb.2896$...

    Maria Gaitani, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Maria

    Rob Thorpe Guest

    "Maria Gaitani" <> wrote in message news:<401ed7ce$0$18645$>...
    > Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
    > API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
    > don't
    > know c .. I am only using Java... it's just the only solution I can thing of
    > right now.
    > Thank you for taking the time to reply really ...but please don't suggest
    > that I don't know how to search google.
    > Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
    > should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
    > of .. before sending the post.
    > Sorry..
    > Maria
    > "Thomas Matthews" <> wrote in
    > message news:K7zTb.2896$...
    > > Maria wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thank you very very much for your reply!
    > > > I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
    > > > at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
    > > > problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
    > > > here since I am looking for the c command.

    > > > I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
    > > > I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
    > > > Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
    > > > something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
    > > > platform :).
    > > > What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
    > > > and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
    > > > afraid.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
    > > > Maria

    Standard C functions can't do such things. You will need a OS
    specific call each time.

    Goto
    comp.unix.programmer
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*
    comp.os.linux.development.apps.*

    I wouldn't test an environmental variable to get the OS, I'd write a
    different makefile for each OS (or use a tool that does such things).
    Rob Thorpe, Feb 3, 2004
  8. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:06:31 -0000, in comp.lang.c , "Maria Gaitani"
    <> wrote:

    >Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
    >API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
    >don't know c ..

    C doesn't have methods or procedures, it only has functions. But more
    importantly, when it comes to system-specific stuff like you want, you
    have to use the native APIs, in your case windows or linux. So you
    already have your answer.

    >Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
    >should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
    >of .. before sending the post.

    For your information, asking offtopic questions in Comp.lang.c and
    comp.lang.c++ will get you a polite redirection (like you got) to
    either google or a platform-specific group. If you continue to ask
    offtopic questions, you will get much less polite answers. Adding
    "offtopic" to the subject will not help.....

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Thank you very much for your reply .
    I didn't quite understand the last bit. That is because I am not familiar
    with c at all.

    > I'd write a
    > different makefile for each OS (or use a tool that does such things).

    I would appreciate it if you could explain a little bit what you mean. I
    don't know what a makefile is basically. Only now I'm starting to learn how
    to use c and this is only due to the needs of the project.
    May I also ask why you would not test the environmental variable ? Is it
    just because it is not the right way to do it or is it not reliable for some
    reason ?

    Thanks again for your reply ,
    Maria
    Maria Gaitani, Feb 4, 2004