    But it's no rubik's cube!

    Thanks
    /kevin

    kboris, Sep 23, 2004

  2. kboris

    Paul Lutus Guest

    kboris wrote:

    > I stumble across very depressing websites with incredible displays
    > of programming prowess. They're depressing because they belong to
    > other people.
    >
    > Examples include: a 3-D rendition of Rubik's cube, various games,
    > scientific analysis etc etc. Just to completely go over the top,
    > a lot of these sites share the source code.
    >
    > 1) Am I sunk in the job market without a portfolio?

    Yes, unless all those people with portfolios suddenly get hit by a bus.

    > 2) If you interview candidates, what was the best display you've seen?

    Competence and experience.

    > I have some assembler and preprocessing utilities to show off. Maybe
    > a simple language compiler.
    >
    > But it's no rubik's cube!

    So hit the books.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Sep 23, 2004

  3. kboris

    Tyler Reed Guest

    Kevin,

    What are you wanting to do for work? And, how would you like to build your
    portfolio?

    Thanks,
    Tyler Reed
    tyler@spam_sucks_progressforge.net

    Tyler Reed, Sep 23, 2004
  4. kboris

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    kboris wrote:
    > I stumble across very depressing websites with incredible displays
    > of programming prowess. They're depressing because they belong to
    > other people.
    >
    > Examples include: a 3-D rendition of Rubik's cube, various games,
    > scientific analysis etc etc. Just to completely go over the top,
    > a lot of these sites share the source code.
    >
    > 1) Am I sunk in the job market without a portfolio?

    Not necessarily - depends on if you've had a job in that market before,
    who for, and for how long...

    > 2) If you interview candidates, what was the best display you've seen?

    I'd say they'd be quite interested in stable, industrious, able people
    (with some background in the work) as much as they'd be interested in
    graphics/science whizzes etc. (who also may of course have the
    aforementioned traits as well).

    > I have some assembler and preprocessing utilities to show off. Maybe
    > a simple language compiler.
    >
    > But it's no rubik's cube!
    >
    > Thanks
    > /kevin

    If you don't have a previous comparable employment in the field, then a
    portfolio would help a lot. It's your way to show off your thang (in
    whatever way you want) given a lack of previous jobs.

    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Sep 24, 2004