Getting "SQLException: No suitable driver" when trying to connect to mysql from eclipse

jborup

Hi community,,,
I hope you can help. I do believe this is small problem. I have seen
the problem raised several places at the net, but not found a
solution.

I want to connect to a mysql db on a server, from the client where I
do the development. Its done in java, using the eclipse ide, its just
a small 'hello world' type stand alone java program. I have used some
sample code, and when I compile I get "SQLException: No suitable
driver". From searching the internet, the problem should be, that I
don't have the mysql jar file in my path. To "my project" ->
properties -> Libraries, I have added a external jar, and selected the
mysql. jar (running ubuntu - found the jar file in: /usr/share/java/
mysql.jar). When running then program I still get the error.
I have also tried from within the class, right click, select 'run as' -
run, some run configurations appears. In the classpath I have added
the mysql.jar as a external jar. I still get the 'No suitable driver'.

You could think, that the driver is bad, but from the 'Database
development' perspective, using the mysql.jar, I have created a
connection to the server, which logs on, and shows the tables in the
db. So I guess the driver is ok,

My develoment client, is running ubuntu, eclipse 3.2.1, Mysql driver
4.x (guess its jdbc 3?)

This is the sample code:

// import static java.lang.System.out.*;
import static java.lang.System.out;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;
import java.sql.SQLException;

public class HelloWorld {

/**
* @param args
*/
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
System.out.println("Hello World");

try {
Connection conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://<server>:3306/
BudgetDev?"+

"user=<user>&password=<password>");

} catch (SQLException ex) {
// handle any errors
System.out.println("SQLException: " + ex.getMessage());
System.out.println("SQLState: " + ex.getSQLState());
System.out.println("VendorError: " + ex.getErrorCode());

Hope some can help.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

jborup said:
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
System.out.println("Hello World");

try {
Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");

Connection conn =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://<server>:3306/
BudgetDev?"+

"user=<user>&password=<password>");

Arne