    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/

    Swifty, Nov 11, 2012

  2. On 11/11/2012 2:28 AM, Swifty wrote:
    > What would people recommend for someone wishing to learn C++ ?
    >
    > I've used a variety of different languages over the past 45 years, but
    > haven't successfully tackled a new language in over 25 years (fading
    > brain syndrome).
    >
    > My needs are probably quite simple. At the moment, I'm looking at
    > creating an exe that exits with a return code of 1/0 based on whether or
    > not ::GetForegroundWindow() returns null.
    >
    > Once I have some C++ skills, I'll start using something like Visual C++
    >
    > I'm not fishing for an actual program — helpful people have always come
    > to my rescue over the years, but I'll never learn this way!

    Try a decent book, it might prove useful. I recommend "Accelerated C++"
    by Koenig and Moo, and the success might depend on what languages you
    already know. Twenty-five years ago the popular ones were C, Basic,
    Fortran (IV and 77), PL/I (on mainframes, probably), Cobol, Pascal
    (colleges?), Algol-68, Simula, Lisp... (what am I forgetting?) Which
    environment are you coming from?

    <nonCPPspecific>
    At the same time you might want to get a book by Petzold to lean Windows
    programming (if that's what you want).

    You don't have to wait to "have some C++ skill" to start using Visual
    C++ environment. In fact, you might want to start with Visual Studio
    just to get your feet wet. Get a book for learning it. The VC++ book
    does not have to be the newest, in fact getting an older book will save
    you some money and will force you to explore the current tool to find
    out the differences between the book and the tool.
    </nonCPPspecific>

    Ask specific questions if you have any.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 11, 2012

  3. Swifty

    Swifty Guest

    On 11/11/2012 07:28, Swifty wrote:
    > What would people recommend for someone wishing to learn C++

    Thanks for the suggestions. It will probably be weeks before I get
    started, so don't think that I'm ignoring you, or that I've lost interest.

    I retired about 8 weeks ago, and seem to have replaced the daily grind
    with a plethora of varied tasks, leaving me with little spare time.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/

    Swifty, Nov 18, 2012
  4. On 11/18/2012 4:53 AM, Swifty wrote:
    > On 11/11/2012 07:28, Swifty wrote:
    >> What would people recommend for someone wishing to learn C++

    > Thanks for the suggestions. It will probably be weeks before I get
    > started, so don't think that I'm ignoring you, or that I've lost interest.
    >
    > I retired about 8 weeks ago, and seem to have replaced the daily grind
    > with a plethora of varied tasks, leaving me with little spare time.

    Interesting (although not C++ specific or even related) how projects
    that have been put on hold get new meaning and relevance once other
    priorities go away. Good luck in your studies, whenever you get to them!

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 18, 2012