Getting started with Emacs and Ruby (and RoR)?

John Wells

Guys,

I'm a long time vim user and a (relatively) short-time NetBeans user.

However, I've flirted with Emacs from time to time and have finally
made the decision to buck up and learn it. After all, I'm in my
mid-30s, and I figure the arteries will be hardening soon and learning
new tricks may become difficult ;)

I've bought the OReilly emacs book and am starting to trudge through.
However, I'd like to get started sooner with editing Ruby and Rails
with it, as my current projects are saturated with both. I'm using
NetBeans currently and like it, but hoping emacs will be a bit lighter
while at the same time as functional.

So, two questions for all you emacs users out there:

1. Is there a defacto, pre-packaged way to get everything set up in
emacs as a good Ruby/Rails environment? I've looked around, but it
seems like everyone is mixing together a little of this and a little
of that. I'm looking for a one-stop-shop, hopefully.

2. Is there any way to debug in emacs to the extent that you can in NetBeans?

Thanks for the help!

John

Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso

Take a look at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails/

Regards,

--
Regards,
Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso [Grabber].

Eletrical Engineer at maua.br

John Wells

Great, thanks! I have it installed and am looking through.

What about debugging capabilities in line with NetBeans? Is it possible?

And if it is possible, where might one go to learn how?

Thanks!
John

Giles Bowkett

I've got Aquamacs on my laptop, it's an OS X emacs, I've been fiddling
with it but I'll probably have to get the O'Reilly book to really make
any interesting headway.

(Flame bait: I have to say, I read the Lisp for the Ruby syntax
coloring in emacs and was really surprised by its relative
unreadability, although the coloring itself is definitely awesome.)

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org