Getting started with Emacs and Ruby (and RoR)?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Wells, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    Guys,

    I'm a long time vim user and a (relatively) short-time NetBeans user.

    However, I've flirted with Emacs from time to time and have finally
    made the decision to buck up and learn it. After all, I'm in my
    mid-30s, and I figure the arteries will be hardening soon and learning
    new tricks may become difficult ;)

    I've bought the OReilly emacs book and am starting to trudge through.
    However, I'd like to get started sooner with editing Ruby and Rails
    with it, as my current projects are saturated with both. I'm using
    NetBeans currently and like it, but hoping emacs will be a bit lighter
    while at the same time as functional.

    So, two questions for all you emacs users out there:

    1. Is there a defacto, pre-packaged way to get everything set up in
    emacs as a good Ruby/Rails environment? I've looked around, but it
    seems like everyone is mixing together a little of this and a little
    of that. I'm looking for a one-stop-shop, hopefully.

    2. Is there any way to debug in emacs to the extent that you can in NetBeans?

    Thanks for the help!

    John
    John Wells, Dec 12, 2007

  2. Note: parts of this message were removed by the gateway to make it a legal Usenet post.

    Take a look at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails/

    Regards,
    Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso.

    --
    Regards,
    Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso [Grabber].

    Eletrical Engineer at maua.br
    Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso, Dec 12, 2007

  3. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    On 12/11/07, Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso <> wrote:
    > Take a look at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails/
    > > 2. Is there any way to debug in emacs to the extent that you can in
    > > NetBeans?

    Great, thanks! I have it installed and am looking through.

    What about debugging capabilities in line with NetBeans? Is it possible?

    Thanks!
    John
    John Wells, Dec 12, 2007
  4. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    On 12/11/07, John Wells <> wrote:
    > On 12/11/07, Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso <> wrote:
    > > Take a look at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/emacs-rails/
    > > > 2. Is there any way to debug in emacs to the extent that you can in
    > > > NetBeans?

    > Great, thanks! I have it installed and am looking through.
    >
    > What about debugging capabilities in line with NetBeans? Is it possible?

    And if it is possible, where might one go to learn how?

    Thanks!
    John
    John Wells, Dec 12, 2007
  5. I've got Aquamacs on my laptop, it's an OS X emacs, I've been fiddling
    with it but I'll probably have to get the O'Reilly book to really make
    any interesting headway.

    (Flame bait: I have to say, I read the Lisp for the Ruby syntax
    coloring in emacs and was really surprised by its relative
    unreadability, although the coloring itself is definitely awesome.)

    --
    Giles Bowkett

    Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org