Getting started with HTTP::Proxy

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by arvinporthog@lycos.com, Apr 10, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi. I don't know anything about proxies or networking yet I've been
    tasked with protecting some content on a media server and I'm guessing
    a proxy is the way to go. I'm playing around with HTTP::proxy just to
    get a feel for things. All of the examples and discussions seem geared
    to a proxy which sits on a user's computer while what I want is to put
    the proxy on an intermediate server between the user and the media
    server. So just to test I set up a bare bones HTTP::proxy script on
    one of our web servers. It runs and I can connect to it but I don't
    know where to start trying to get it to do more:

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use HTTP::proxy;

    my $proxy = new HTTP::proxy (port => 8100, host => undef);
    $proxy->start;

    When I connect http://www.myserver.edu:8100 I get the message:
    "Scheme is not supported by this proxy."

    How can I do something simple like pipe the google homepage to my
    browser (not redirect!)?

    , Apr 10, 2008