Getting started with J2EE

Shakti

Hello

I'm familiar with Java programming. I've an idea of servlets and JSP,
but I'm completely new to J2EE.
I wonder what is the difference between JSP programs and J2EE. What
exactly is the difference. I hear that J2EE applications can be
developed using JSP and EJB, was not able to get the difference
between JSP and EJB applications and the J2EE applications.
Can some clarify my doubts, and suggest a good reading for getting
started.
Your help is appreciated in advance.
Thanks.

-Shakti

Andy Dingley

I'm familiar with Java programming. I've an idea of servlets and JSP,
but I'm completely new to J2EE.

If I knew what "J2EE" was, I'd tell you. J2EE is potentially a very
large bag, but really only a small fraction of this (Servlets & JSP)
is used most of the time, on most projects. EJB is far, far behind in
terms of common occurence, lines of code written, or number of people
needing to know it.

I strongly recommend the book "Head First Servlets & JSP" as a
tutorial on good techniques for the portion of J2EE that's actually
useful to learn first. Gain good skills and experience with this
first, worry about EJB later.

Lew

"J2EE" (now "JEE") is a catch-all term for a number of different APIs.
Servlets and JSPs are part of J(2)EE. So you are not "completely new to J2EE"
if you've been working with servlets and JSPs.

JEE refers to APIs used for server-centric (mostly web-based) applications
accessed via remote clients.

JEE includes servlets, JSPs, JSF and JSTL, EJB, JMX, SOAP libraries, and a
bunch of other stuff.

Have you tried the Sun tutorial on JEE on their website? That would seem to
me to be the logical first step. Surely you've taken it by now.

Shakti

"J2EE" (now "JEE") is a catch-all term for a number of different APIs.
Servlets and JSPs are part of J(2)EE. So you are not "completely new toJ2EE"
if you've been working with servlets and JSPs.

JEE refers to APIs used for server-centric (mostly web-based) applications
accessed via remote clients.

JEE includes servlets, JSPs, JSF and JSTL, EJB, JMX, SOAP libraries, and a
bunch of other stuff.

Have you tried the Sun tutorial on JEE on their website? That would seem to
me to be the logical first step. Surely you've taken it by now.

Thanks to both Andy and Lew for your suggestions. Now I understand
what J(2)EE really is.