getting started with java,need help.

tomerdr

Hi,
I Want to debug an applet running inside internet explorer,
I could not find a way to do it either with neat beans nor with
eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Pitts

Hi,
I Want to debug an applet running inside internet explorer,
I could not find a way to do it either with neat beans nor with
eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you'll have to debug it in the appletviewer program,
rather than the browser directly.

christopher

depending on the java virtual machine and the version of internet
explorer and the internet options settings, there is a java console
available in internet explorer. on my system it is under tools. you
can have your applet output to the console (System.out.println() I
think) and you can set up points in your applet to display data.

tomerdr

Is java a serious platform?!?
I don't need the output I need the breakpoints in the IDE.

Thanks

Daniel Dyer

Is java a serious platform?!?
I don't need the output I need the breakpoints in the IDE.

Thanks

Are you using Microsoft's VM or Sun's? If it's Sun's, you should be able
to debug an applet from Eclipse. I don't use Eclipse, but in IDEA you can
set-up a debug profile to launch the applet in the appletviewer and you
can then debug it as you would any other program. I would be surprised if
Eclipse does not have something similar. I don't think you will be able
to debug it running in the browser because of the security restrictions of
the applet sandbox. If you are using Microsoft's VM, I have no idea what
options are available to you.

Dan.

tomerdr

Thanks.i can debug it in applet viewer.but this is not what i want,
any way i will try ms visual j++.

Andrew Thompson

Please refrain from top-posting.

Sun's support of applets is less than enthusiastic.
I suspect they have put the host of applet problems
into the "too hard and won't everybody just make
AJAX based web-apps. instead?" basket.

The easiest way to develop applets is to make a
combined applet/application, an applet that can
be launched in a (J)Frame is a lot easier to debug
(in your IDE, with breakpoints).

Then once the application is nominally working,
run a few tests on a number of browsers (and ideally)
OS's, just to check the applet does not fall afoul
of any of the many problems that are caused by
interactions with a VM via a browser (and which
cannot be really reproduced in anything but 'that
version of that browser')
...i can debug it in applet viewer.but this is not what i want,

After reading your posts, I am still not clear
on either what the applet needs or what, indeed
the problem is that you are investigating
(and having that information clear, would
probably help the quality of the answers.)
any way i will try ms visual j++.

I cannot see that VJ++ could do anything here,
that other tools could not do better.

Andrew T.