    eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.

    Thanks in advance.
    , Dec 25, 2006

  2. Daniel Pitts Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I Want to debug an applet running inside internet explorer,
    > I could not find a way to do it either with neat beans nor with
    > eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.

    As far as I know, you'll have to debug it in the appletviewer program,
    rather than the browser directly.
    Daniel Pitts, Dec 25, 2006

    depending on the java virtual machine and the version of internet
    explorer and the internet options settings, there is a java console
    available in internet explorer. on my system it is under tools. you
    can have your applet output to the console (System.out.println() I
    think) and you can set up points in your applet to display data.

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I Want to debug an applet running inside internet explorer,
    > I could not find a way to do it either with neat beans nor with
    > eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    , Dec 26, 2006

    Is java a serious platform?!?
    I don't need the output I need the breakpoints in the IDE.

    Thanks

    wrote:
    > depending on the java virtual machine and the version of internet
    > explorer and the internet options settings, there is a java console
    > available in internet explorer. on my system it is under tools. you
    > can have your applet output to the console (System.out.println() I
    > think) and you can set up points in your applet to display data.
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I Want to debug an applet running inside internet explorer,
    > > I could not find a way to do it either with neat beans nor with
    > > eclipse.and the help i get from the documentation is poor.
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance.
    , Dec 26, 2006
  5. Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:58:52 -0000, <> wrote:

    > Is java a serious platform?!?
    > I don't need the output I need the breakpoints in the IDE.
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you using Microsoft's VM or Sun's? If it's Sun's, you should be able
    to debug an applet from Eclipse. I don't use Eclipse, but in IDEA you can
    set-up a debug profile to launch the applet in the appletviewer and you
    can then debug it as you would any other program. I would be surprised if
    Eclipse does not have something similar. I don't think you will be able
    to debug it running in the browser because of the security restrictions of
    the applet sandbox. If you are using Microsoft's VM, I have no idea what
    options are available to you.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java
    Daniel Dyer, Dec 26, 2006

    Thanks.i can debug it in applet viewer.but this is not what i want,
    any way i will try ms visual j++.

  7. wrote:
    > Is java a serious platform?!?

    Are you kidding?
    John Ersatznom, Dec 27, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > Thanks.

    Please refrain from top-posting.

    > > > Is java a serious platform?!?

    Sun's support of applets is less than enthusiastic.
    I suspect they have put the host of applet problems
    into the "too hard and won't everybody just make
    AJAX based web-apps. instead?" basket.

    > > > I don't need the output I need the breakpoints in the IDE.

    The easiest way to develop applets is to make a
    combined applet/application, an applet that can
    be launched in a (J)Frame is a lot easier to debug
    (in your IDE, with breakpoints).

    Then once the application is nominally working,
    run a few tests on a number of browsers (and ideally)
    OS's, just to check the applet does not fall afoul
    of any of the many problems that are caused by
    interactions with a VM via a browser (and which
    cannot be really reproduced in anything but 'that
    version of that browser')

    >...i can debug it in applet viewer.but this is not what i want,

    After reading your posts, I am still not clear
    on either what the applet needs or what, indeed
    the problem is that you are investigating
    (and having that information clear, would
    probably help the quality of the answers.)

    > any way i will try ms visual j++.

    I cannot see that VJ++ could do anything here,
    that other tools could not do better.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 27, 2006