Getting Started with New IDE

Mike Copeland

At the frequent behests of experts here I have installed VC10.0
Express. Now I have no idea how to start using it, as I tried to take a
simple VC6.0 project I have and loaded it into VC10.0 IDE. I cannot
find any command or function in this IDE to (1) compile or (2) build a
new VC10.0 project.
I know this forum isn't where I should get such answers (although
whenever I mention I use VC6.0 I get plenty of comments about getting an
up-to-date compiler and such). Having finally done this, I can't see
how to start. Please advise (and direct me to where I might see the
information I need.) TIA

Joshua Maurice

   At the frequent behests of experts here I have installed VC10.0
Express.  Now I have no idea how to start using it, as I tried to take a
simple VC6.0 project I have and loaded it into VC10.0 IDE.  I cannot
find any command or function in this IDE to (1) compile or (2) build a
new VC10.0 project.
   I know this forum isn't where I should get such answers (although
whenever I mention I use VC6.0 I get plenty of comments about getting an
up-to-date compiler and such).  Having finally done this, I can't see
how to start.  Please advise (and direct me to where I might see the
information I need.)  TIA

While off-topic, I can sympathize. It doesn't come out-of-the-box with
the same toolbars et. al. as the non-express version (I can compare as
I have the "full" version at work), and the properties/options to fix
it are hidden well. Try menu bar -> tools -> customize -> "commands"
tab -> dropdown "menu bar:" to "build" -> "add command" -> "build
solution". Something like that. I already fixed my install for my home
computer, so I can't help further short of reinstalling and
documenting the steps I used.

Bo Persson

Mike Copeland skrev 2012-05-20 02:57:
At the frequent behests of experts here I have installed VC10.0
Express. Now I have no idea how to start using it, as I tried to take a
simple VC6.0 project I have and loaded it into VC10.0 IDE. I cannot
find any command or function in this IDE to (1) compile or (2) build a
new VC10.0 project.
I know this forum isn't where I should get such answers (although
whenever I mention I use VC6.0 I get plenty of comments about getting an
up-to-date compiler and such). Having finally done this, I can't see
how to start. Please advise (and direct me to where I might see the
information I need.) TIA

Couldn't be that hard.

First menu option is "File", first choice "New", first option "Project".

To build you new project, check the "Build" menu.

Bo Persson