getting started with rails for win32

Phlip

Rubies:

I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
system, but...

How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I run
this:

C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
(in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
rake aborted!
Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
../rakefile:42

C:\phlip\rails>

Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to build
a rails website in?

Is there a page on the web about this?

James Britt

Phlip said:
Rubies:

I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
system, but...

... you want users of that OS to help out with a problem?

Interesting technique for soliciting assistance.

I suppose what I find grating about this is the needless sniping that
provides no useful information, but lends an air of immaturity to the
discussion. At best it is churlish . At worst, trolls and flame wars.

James

Phlip

James said:
Phlip wrote:

.. you want users of that OS to help out with a problem?

Okay. Have it your way. It's _Rails's_ fault.

Do I expect its community to help me _now_??

Mauricio Fernández

Rubies:

I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
system, but...

How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I run
this:

C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
(in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
rake aborted!
Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
../rakefile:42

C:\phlip\rails>

Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to build
a rails website in?

It's the expected behavior.
Try to
C:\phlip\rails> cd ..
C:\phlip>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails

And BTW, the permission denied error wouldn't happen on some un*x,
so you can blame win32 if you like.

Phlip

Mauricio said:
Phlip wrote:

It's the expected behavior.
Try to
C:\phlip\rails> cd ..
C:\phlip>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails

That worked - thanks!
And BTW, the permission denied error wouldn't happen on some un*x,
so you can blame win32 if you like.

nonono - blame Un*x for letting you delete the folder you are sitting in!