    in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
    idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
    Cheers.
    Johnljones7443, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Johnljones7443

    David Segall Guest

    "Johnljones7443" <> wrote:

    >Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
    >bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
    >how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
    >in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
    >idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
    >Cheers.

    Why torture yourself? Use the free JBuilder Foundation IDE
    <http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/index.html>. You used
    Delphi, not Pascal, to develop applications until now. JBuilder is to
    Java as Delphi is to Pascal. Alternatively, if you want to use low
    level development tools don't make your life miserable by also
    changing languages. There are plenty of Pascal compilers that will
    enable you to use Notepad (yuk!) to write a program in the Pascal
    language that you are familiar with then compile it and run it.
    David Segall, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Johnljones7443

    FRED SCHMID Guest

    Hi,

    I've used the Java Software Development Kit (SDK for short) and coded with
    notepad, saving the file as "myapp.java" and compiled/ran the program with
    the SDK. You could also use Forte for Java, an application that helps you
    code, test and compile applications. Here are some links:

    http://www.sun.com/download/index.jsp
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/download.html

    Hope this helps,
    Rick

    FRED SCHMID, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Johnljones7443

    Guest

    Get jGrasp. It is free and used in many schools. There are tons of
    free tutorials out there. Good books are out there too.
    , Mar 4, 2005
  5. Johnljones7443

    Malte Guest

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html
    Malte, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Johnljones7443

    IchBin Guest

    Johnljones7443 wrote:
    > Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
    > bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
    > how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
    > in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
    > idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
    > Cheers.

    Yes, for your first java IDE try: *jGRASP*
    http://www.jgrasp.org/

    If not familiar with OOPs implementation try: *BlueJ*
    http://www.bluej.org/index.html

    For starting docs try *The Really Big Index:*
    A list of all content pages in the The JavaTM Tutorial
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

    Naturally use:

    *Java Language Specification*
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/jTOC.doc.html

    *JDK 5.0 Documentation*
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp#docs

    *JavaTM 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 API Specification*
    /jdk1.5.0/docs/api/index.html

    For example code go to: *The Java Developers Almanac 1.4*
    http://javaalmanac.com/egs/index.html

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin

    'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
    substances:
    if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
    - Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist
    IchBin, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Johnljones7443

    Ulath Guest

    Hi,
    I definitely suggest you to use eclipse http://www.eclipse.org/. It
    is a little complicated but it is number one Java RAD environment
    nowadays. And also you can use netbeans http://www.netbeans.org/.
    Netbeans won the Open Source Tool of the Year award from developer.com.

    Greetings.
    Ulath, Mar 4, 2005
  8. Johnljones7443

    John McGrath Guest

    On 3/4/2005 at 10:04:10 AM, Johnljones7443 wrote:

    > Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
    > bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
    > how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write
    > it in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I
    > have no idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
    > Cheers.

    I would recommend JBuilder Foundation, which is available for free at:

    http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation

    --
    Regards,

    John McGrath
    John McGrath, Mar 5, 2005
  9. Thanks to all that posted, especially Fred for the examples. Appreciate
    it.
    Cheers.
    Johnljones7443, Mar 5, 2005