Getting Started.

Johnljones7443

Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
Cheers.

David Segall

Johnljones7443 said:
Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
Cheers.
Why torture yourself? Use the free JBuilder Foundation IDE
<http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/index.html>. You used
Delphi, not Pascal, to develop applications until now. JBuilder is to
Java as Delphi is to Pascal. Alternatively, if you want to use low
level development tools don't make your life miserable by also
changing languages. There are plenty of Pascal compilers that will
enable you to use Notepad (yuk!) to write a program in the Pascal
language that you are familiar with then compile it and run it.

john_20_28_2000

Get jGrasp. It is free and used in many schools. There are tons of
free tutorials out there. Good books are out there too.

Malte

Johnljones7443 said:
Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
Cheers.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

IchBin

Johnljones7443 said:
Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write it
in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I have no
idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
Cheers.

Yes, for your first java IDE try: *jGRASP*
http://www.jgrasp.org/

If not familiar with OOPs implementation try: *BlueJ*
http://www.bluej.org/index.html

For starting docs try *The Really Big Index:*
A list of all content pages in the The JavaTM Tutorial
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

Naturally use:

*Java Language Specification*
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/jTOC.doc.html

*JDK 5.0 Documentation*
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp#docs

*JavaTM 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 API Specification*
/jdk1.5.0/docs/api/index.html

For example code go to: *The Java Developers Almanac 1.4*
http://javaalmanac.com/egs/index.html

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
substances:
if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
- Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist

John McGrath

Hello, I've been using Delphi for a number of months and feel I'm getting
bored, so I want to start using Java™, and have no idea where to start,
how do you make a programme to start off with? I've been told you write
it in Notepad or something similar and then compile and run it but I
have no idea how to do any of these things. Can somebody please help!?
Cheers.

I would recommend JBuilder Foundation, which is available for free at:

http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation

Johnljones7443

Thanks to all that posted, especially Fred for the examples. Appreciate
it.
Cheers.