getting text from textboxes in a repeater

MattB

I have a repeater control with text boxes in it that get built on the
fly based on values in web.config. Now I need to grab the text from those
boxes when the form is submitted. I can't just do something like testing to
see if the id is nothing, because that id isn't declared, so my app won't
compile.
So what I'm trying to do is reconstruct the IDs using the same method I
created them with (looping through a table) but that's coming up with empty
values. Is there a good trick for doing this? Is there a function to get a
list of all the text boxes on the page?
Here's a little bit of what doesn't work (the datatable dtVFields has
all the field names used to generate text boxes in the repeater):

Dim drfields As DataRow, bPassed As Boolean = False, txtInput As String,
txtDBValue As String

Dim tb As New TextBox

For Each drfields In dtVFields.Rows

Dim strField As String = drfields.Item("Field")

tb.ID = "txt" & strField

txtInput = tb.Text

'get the fields into the same string format for comparison

Select Case strField

Case "birth_date"

txtInput = Convert.ToDateTime(tb.Text).ToString

txtDBValue =
Convert.ToDateTime(dsGuest.Tables(1).Rows(0).Item(drfields.Item("Field"))).T
oString

It crashes on that line with the convert on it because tb.Text is always
nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Matt

MattB

Getting warmer here. I've just discovered the FindControl method. Any
suggestions or examples relating to this or a different solution still
appreciated...