Getting the compiler to work

Discussion in 'C++' started by Adam, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    I'm just starting to try and learn my first comp language. However,
    I'm so new to this I don't even know how to get the compiler to work
    that came with my Jamso's C++ book. I've read the readme so many
    times but I don't know how to execute what it asks..

    This CD-ROM contains the source code files for the book Jamsa's
    C/C++/C# Programmer's Bible.

    The CD-ROM also contains a copy of the Borland C++ Version 5.5
    compiler. To install the compiler, select the Borland directory of
    this CD-ROM and then run the freecommandlinetools application to
    install the compiler on to your hard disk. Then, you must perform the
    following steps before you can run the compiler from the command line:

    Within your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, add the directory c:\Borland\Bcc55\bin
    to your command path. The easist way to add the command is simply to
    place the following command at the end of your AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

    PATH %PATH%;C:\Borland\Bcc55\bin

    Within the directory C:\Borland\Bcc55\bin, create a file named
    bcc32.cfg which will set the compiler options for the Include and Lib
    paths (-I and -L switches to compiler) by adding these lines:

    -I"c:\Borland\Bcc55\include"
    -L"c:\Borland\Bcc55\lib"

    Within the same direcotry (C:\Borland\Bcc55\bin), create the file
    ilink32.cfg that will set the linker option for the Lib path by adding
    this line to the file:

    -L"c:\Borland\Bcc55\lib"

    Which autoexec.bat file is it talking about? How do I create a file
    and what type of file do I create in the C:\Borland\Bcc55\bin
    directory? Do I just create a wordpad doc and remame it as a .cfg?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Adam, Jun 29, 2003

  2. "Adam" <> wrote...
    > I'm just starting to try and learn my first comp language. However,
    > I'm so new to this I don't even know how to get the compiler to work
    > that came with my Jamso's C++ book. I've read the readme so many
    > times but I don't know how to execute what it asks..
    >
    > This CD-ROM contains the source code files for the book Jamsa's
    > C/C++/C# Programmer's Bible.
    >
    > The CD-ROM also contains a copy of the Borland C++ Version 5.5
    > compiler. To install the compiler

    [...]
    > Which autoexec.bat file is it talking about? How do I create a file
    > and what type of file do I create in the C:\Borland\Bcc55\bin
    > directory? Do I just create a wordpad doc and remame it as a .cfg?
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Please don't ask questions about installing compilers in comp.lang.c++
    There is a host of newsgroups that starts with words "borland.public."
    which incidentally includes ones dedicated to the C++ compiler they are
    (or were) producing. It's their product, and they have newsgroups to
    discuss their product.

    Let me tell you one thing, though. You've picked a quite difficult
    language to begin learning programming. The mere fact that you can't
    handle installing a compiler suggests (do not be offended, we all
    went through this phase) that you are not really ready, perhaps you
    need to learn to operate the computer first. Perhaps something
    simpler, something that installs itself, would be a better choice for
    you. Think of Visual Basic, or maybe Borland JBuilder...

    But in any case, do ask about the compiler installation in one of
    borland.public. newsgroups. You will probably find one that suits
    you best (or will get redirected a couple of times, no big deal).

    Good luck!

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Jun 29, 2003