Getting the KVM running on ARM Linux on an ARM processor based device

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steve Jasper, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Steve Jasper

    Steve Jasper Guest

    Hi -

    I'm working on a very simple wireless project that seeks to run small
    J2ME applications on a thin ARM processor based device. There are some
    firmware/hardware folks telling me not to worry about the hardware,
    just so long as my applications run on the Sun J2ME emulator and pass
    pre-verification, then they can be ported to the device once we get
    some prototypes ready.

    What I would like to do, so I can sleep better at night, is get an
    operating system like ARM Linux (http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/) running
    on a cheap piece of ARM based hardware, get the KVM on it, and
    actually see my applications run. I've read posts of folks who were
    able to flash ARM Linux on an old Palm, which is encouraging. Keep in
    mind that I know very little about hardware (as I'm sure you can
    tell).

    Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with something
    like this. It would make my month if I could get a cheap used Palm off
    of eBay for this purpose.

    Thanks for any advice!
    Steve Jasper, Nov 20, 2003