Getting "The Page cannot be displayed" on some machines but not others with ASP.NET pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by R. G., Jul 1, 2004.

  1. R. G.

    R. G. Guest

    I have three ASP.NET applications running with the following
    configuration on a Windows XP Pro machine running IIS 5.1:

    web.config -
    <identity impersonate="true" />
    <authentication mode="Windows" />

    IIS Security Settings -
    -"Anonymous access" is UNCHECKED
    -"Digest authentication for Windows domain servers" is CHECKED
    -"Basic authentication (password is sent in clear text)" is UNCHECKED
    -"Integrated Windows authentication" is CHECKED

    The reason I am not using "Anonymous access" and why I have "identity
    impersonate" set to true is because my program grants access to
    certain areas of the application based on the username of the person
    currently logged into the computer accessing my application. All
    potential users of my program are logged in to the Active Directory
    domain using Windows XP Pro machines and Internet Explorer.

    My applications run perfectly on most of the machines, but on a few
    machines (including a Windows Server 2003, a Windows Terminal Server,
    and the host machine curiously enough), users receive "The Page cannot
    be displayed" when attempting to access these applications. These
    users are able to access other ASP.NET applications I have running on
    the same box that have "Anonymous access" checked without "identity
    impersonate" set to true without any problems.

    I assume there must be some IE setting or some other setting on these
    machines that is not allowing these machines to access these pages.

    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    -Rosendo

    R. G., Jul 1, 2004

  2. Rosendo,

    It looks like there is a network/settings' issue. What exactly
    your users see? They just receive 'page cannot be displayed'
    error? A little detail would be helpful to help.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Zeeshan Mustafa, MCSD

    M. Zeeshan Mustafa, Jul 2, 2004

  3. R. G.

    R. G. Guest

    Yes, the users get a local standard "The Page cannot be displayed"
    page that normally comes up when the browser can not find a web page,
    like when the Internet connection is down. Like I said, its just on
    these few machines. I was hoping someone would know what network
    settings I should check first because I have no idea where to even
    begin. The browser settings are identical across the machines, so it
    must be some other more obscure settings.

    R. G., Jul 8, 2004