    wrong group.

    Regards,
    Scott

    Scott McNair, Sep 23, 2004

  2. The server can't access this unless it is offered, via
    Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST"). Anyway this will almost always be
    the network name, not the actual machine name. I think you will have to
    rely on a signed applet or ActiveX control, and yes, it would have to happen
    on the client.

    I thought I had a FAQ on this, but can't seem to locate it.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Scott McNair" <> wrote in message
    > How would I go about extracting an end-user's machine name? I tried
    > finding the info in server variables but it wasn't there. Or would this

    be

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 23, 2004

  3. Scott McNair

    Patrice Guest

    More likely you'll have an IP address available in server variables and it's
    hidden etc by firewalls and such...

    Explaining the overall goal may lead to better suggestions...

    Patrice

    --

    message de news:Xns956D70375AEF0sfmco@207.46.248.16...

    Patrice, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Scott McNair

    Scott McNair Guest

    "Patrice" <> wrote in

    > More likely you'll have an IP address available in server variables
    > and it's hidden etc by firewalls and such...
    >
    > Explaining the overall goal may lead to better suggestions...

    I'm writing an administrative piece for an intranet app we have, that
    allows an administrator to add new machines to our DB. If the admin is
    running the app from the new machine, I was wanting to have the machine
    name and IP auto-populated for him in the form, so he wouldn't have to hunt
    down the info and enter it manually (also the person doing admin may not be
    technically inclined).

    Scott McNair, Sep 23, 2004
  5. I don't think you'll be able to get the machine name information from ASP...

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Sep 23, 2004
  6. Scott McNair

    Patrice Guest

    Try http://component-dll.aspobjects.com/ASP_Components/network/dns/
    For an Intranet you should read back something quite meaningfull.
    We have done something similar (but was using ASP.NET using a class readily
    available) to identiy the machine from which a problem is declared...

    If this is to keep and uptodate listing of all stations it could be likely
    done from a central location (kind of inventory). For example if all
    machines are registered in your domain, it's likely you could get them all,
    or at logon time etc...

    Patrice

    --

    message de news:Xns956D7DB0CD13Fsfmco@207.46.248.16...

    Patrice, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Scott McNair

    Scott McNair Guest

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <> wrote in

    > I don't think you'll be able to get the machine name information from
    > ASP...

    I'm starting to discover that myself, by digging thru websites related to
    it. It appears the tentative solution is to have a client-side script that
    calls a WSH object, which would pop up the "Some objects may be harmful"
    warning, but since this is the intranet that may be okay.

    Scott McNair, Sep 23, 2004