Getting Web Service Properties

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Keith Chadwick, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Is it possible within a web service to get its properties as a string. For
    instance

    public class wscommon
    <System.Web.Services.WebService(Namespace:="test")> _
    <webmethod(EnableSession:=true, MessageName:="MyService",
    public function MyService()

    Dim serviceNamespace as string = ?
    Dim serviceMessageName as string = ?

    end function

    end class

    I am creating a db model that reflects my service architecture and I wish to
    tie it into my ACL db model as a further security level so I need to get the
    namespace and messagename. If I can I can simply hard code into each
    service when it does a call to check if the caller is allowed. I would
    prefer to reference the actual namespace and service method though.

    Cheers
    Keith
    Keith Chadwick, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Keith Chadwick

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Keith,

    No, this isn't going to work. Remember, this is not a remote object (a la
    CORBA). It's an object facade placed over top of a message oriented
    communications protocol. The notion of the service as an instance, you
    need to start unlearning as a way of thinking. It's not an object (data
    and logic encapsulated together). Instead, think of each method as a
    stateless, autonomous operation that takes all of the data it needs as its
    input, and returns everthing the caller will need to know about the result
    of the operation as the return type.

    One thing you can do if you need to return more than one thing (which may
    be what you are asking here) from a single method is to declare a class -
    just a data class, and have that class be the return types. That class can
    have properties or fields (depending on your preference/requirements), and
    thus allow the service to create an instance of the compound data object,
    populate it's fields, and then return that fully populated instance as it's
    sole return type.

    Later calls to the same service typically would have no knowledge of prior
    requests - although you may use a mechanism such as a database or a
    data-bag passed back and forth, to simulate stateful server side objects.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "Keith Chadwick" <>
    >Subject: Getting Web Service Properties
    >Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:30:46 -0500
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    phx.gbl

    Dan Rogers, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Actually think you misunderstood.

    Since my application will be 100% web service based I want to be able to
    control who calls what with what method. So when a user requests to become a
    consumer of the web services I get some information from them, such as IP
    and this information is stored in my database. The dfd in the db for this is
    very simply Consumer to service_methods. This information is snapshoted
    into the consumers session as xml. When a request is made to my web servers
    I check with my userSession custom class and ask it if they user is allowed
    to called this web service from a) userHostaddress b) method POST/GET and
    delivery mechanism SOAP or no SOAP, etc.

    So my code looks like this in my web services:

    dim director as new aeDirector

    ' Guarentee sesssion for user
    if not director.user.checkSession(guid) then
    if not director.user.loginbyGuid(guid) then
    ... "get the hell out of dodge"
    end if
    end if

    ' check if user allowed to call this service
    if not director.user.checkWSCall("wsclassname","wsmethodname") then
    ... "get the hell out of dodge"
    end if

    ... now do what the web service is supposed to do as we have cleared our
    checking

    aeDirector is my custom class that manages session. User is a another class
    within director which provides me a interface into the xml data that is
    stored in session.

    Any way, the line 'checkWSCall("wsclassname","wsmethodname")' is what I am
    asking. Think of a form where I can use me.something. When you define a
    web method can you say something like me.MessageName which is the name of
    the web method you defined in the <webmethod> call.

    Its no big deal just wondering if that information is available, that is
    all.

    Your gonna tell me its in the WDSL arn't ya :)

    Cheers
    Keith

    Keith Chadwick, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Keith Chadwick

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Keith,

    Ahhh. I see. An aside is this sure doesn't seem very secure to me, but if
    this is how you want to do it, that's yours to deal with.

    As for being able to see the methods name, you can get things like the soap
    action value, etc. You can also reflect on the class you are in to see a
    list of your methods etc... For instance,
    Me.Context.Current.Request.Headers lets you see the HTTP headers for the
    current request.

    Lots of really interesting things to discover in the base classes members.

    Have you thought about using web service security (WS-Security) for this
    kind of thing? Look at the security samples in the WSE 2.0 SP1 toolkit.
    These seem to be pretty similar to what you are trying to invent, and are
    already well tested to work across platform, etc.

    Hope this helps

    Dan
    --------------------
    >From: "Keith Chadwick" <>

    <T#>
> [...]

    >> of the operation as the return type.
    >>
    >> One thing you can do if you need to return more than one thing (which may
    >> be what you are asking here) from a single method is to declare a class -
    >> just a data class, and have that class be the return types. That class
    >> can
    >> have properties or fields (depending on your preference/requirements),

    and
    >> thus allow the service to create an instance of the compound data object,
    >> populate it's fields, and then return that fully populated instance as
    >> it's
    >> sole return type.
    >>
    >> Later calls to the same service typically would have no knowledge of

    prior
    >> requests - although you may use a mechanism such as a database or a
    >> data-bag passed back and forth, to simulate stateful server side objects.

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12

    Dan Rogers, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Ahhh another SDK to digest for the weekend. Ok will have a look. Perhaps
    try and integrate them.

    Cheers
    Keith

    Keith Chadwick, Dec 4, 2004
  6. You know it is somewhat gratifying to find a limitation and 'begin' a design
    to cover the limitation only to discover you folks thought it was a good
    idea to do as well :)

    This is why developers who never ask never learn!

    Cheers and thanks
    Keith

    Keith Chadwick, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Hmm, not very secure you say. The information that is returned from my web
    services all runs under SSL so does this not mean it is encrypted?

    Also to do a simply request like fetch a contact via HTTP Get would be
    something like this:

    fetchcontact?uid=C55CBD32-E664-4BC6-9D88-2E53AAA08562&clientkey=3AA3FBF0-2762-4B11-838D-6DDB799E251D&address=AQEAAAAAAGnzAQAAAAAA0CoAAAAA

    Where uid is the callers 'current' login key and clienkey is the private key
    of the client record in the db. The db design also must allow that uid key
    access to the client via the database relationships . This private key is
    routinely changed within the database as well.

    Is this not secure enough considering it is over SSL? I am sending data
    over the wire but never anything like credit card information even though
    that is stored in the database.

    Been reading the WSE and it seems to me that all of my messages would have
    start using soap if I wish to embed certificates and the like and I do not
    wish to do this.

    Cheers
    Keith

    Keith Chadwick, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Keith Chadwick

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Keith,

    As I said, it is ultimately your choice. You can get pretty far going in
    the direction you are, and if your only need is for wire privacy, then I
    cannot fault your approach. My concerns stem from experience - rolling
    your own security approach is almost never secure, and places you in the
    infrastructure business. Heck to convert over or get converts as/when you
    choose to open it up to broader # of consumers.

    Dan
    --------------------
    >From: "Keith Chadwick" <>

    <T#>
    <>
    <>
    >Subject: Re: Getting Web Service Properties
    >Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 09:17:57 -0500
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    .phx.gbl

    >Hmm, not very secure you say. The information that is returned from my

    web
    >services all runs under SSL so does this not mean it is encrypted?
    >
    >Also to do a simply request like fetch a contact via HTTP Get would be
    >something like this:
    >
    >fetchcontact?uid=C55CBD32-E664-4BC6-9D88-2E53AAA08562&clientkey=3AA3FBF0-27

    62-4B11-838D-6DDB799E251D&address=AQEAAAAAAGnzAQAAAAAA0CoAAAAA

    >Where uid is the callers 'current' login key and clienkey is the private

    key
    >of the client record in the db. The db design also must allow that uid key
    >access to the client via the database relationships . This private key is
    >routinely changed within the database as well.
    >
    >Is this not secure enough considering it is over SSL? I am sending data
    >over the wire but never anything like credit card information even though
    >that is stored in the database.
    >
    >Been reading the WSE and it seems to me that all of my messages would have
    >start using soap if I wish to embed certificates and the like and I do not
    >wish to do this.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Keith
    >
    >"Dan Rogers" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Keith,
    >>
    >> Ahhh. I see. An aside is this sure doesn't seem very secure to me, but
    >> if
    >> this is how you want to do it, that's yours to deal with.
    >>
    >> As for being able to see the methods name, you can get things like the
    >> soap
    >> action value, etc. You can also reflect on the class you are in to see a
    >> list of your methods etc... For instance,
    >> Me.Context.Current.Request.Headers lets you see the HTTP headers for the
    >> current request.
    >>
    >> Lots of really interesting things to discover in the base classes

    members.

    >> Have you thought about using web service security (WS-Security) for this
    >> kind of thing? Look at the security samples in the WSE 2.0 SP1 toolkit.
    >> These seem to be pretty similar to what you are trying to invent, and are
    >> already well tested to work across platform, etc.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>>From: "Keith Chadwick" <>

    >> <T#>
    >>>Subject: Re: Getting Web Service Properties
    >>>Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:38:27 -0500
    >>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09

    Dan Rogers, Dec 6, 2004