Ghost icon on server

dorayme

Steven Saunderson said:
I would look at the HTML behind this list, especially the HREF. This
should show you what the name actually is.

That's a thought! OK... here it is:

<h1>Index of /website/gallery/brainGym</h1>
<li><a href="Icon%0d"> Icon
</a></li>

Golly, what is that after the name? A space of some sort!? When I
answered Leo, I looked in my FTP program. To see the text of the
name field I press Return, the text of Icon was highlighted and
ended exactly after the "n" so I said it on the evidence before
me. But come to think of it, the way text fields operate in
Cyberduck might not be all that accurate a reflection of the name
as on the server. The above evidence might be more trustworthy at
least for the reason that it is produced without the fumblings of
any martians like me.

OK, it has a space or whatever. How does this in any way advance
the practical thing of killing this ghost off? I only have to ask
the question to realise I should at least try this:

.... to go back to the good Leo's suggestion, but this time, armed
with the clues via you, rename a known good file on my machine to
"Icon %0d" and try to upload it. And then delete it. God, this is
exciting and a lovely distraction from work... hang on there...

Nope! It uploaded ok but appeared with the name explicit as I
named it. And sat below the ghost. It was easily deleted and the
ghost as intractable as ever!

rf

dorayme said:
<h1>Index of /website/gallery/brainGym</h1>
<li><a href="Icon%0d"> Icon
</a></li>

Golly, what is that after the name? A space of some sort!?

That is a carriage return.

You cannot of course remove that file using command line FTP as the
"carriage return" you type in does not become part of the file name but
rather indicates to the FTP client to process the message (or, rather,
indicates to the OS to pass this command line to the client).

Try a wildcard (if the FTP server supports it). Rename icon* to iconx (for
example) and then delete iconx

You could also point your windows explorer (not IE) to the FTP server and
delete it that way.

This is not a ghost file, it actually is there but just with a name you
cannot type in. I get this all the time when I am testing stuff in Arabic
and Chinese etc. Can't remember at all what the series of keystrokes were to
obtain a file name.

Steven Saunderson

OK, it has a space or whatever. How does this in any way advance
the practical thing of killing this ghost off? I only have to ask
the question to realise I should at least try this:

Richard is right, you have a CR at the end of the name. His idea of
renaming the file sounds good. Alternatively, you could try DELE
"Icon\r" but I have a feeling this won't work because I have managed to
create files with invalid names containing '\'.

Do you know how these files are created ?

Steven Saunderson

Try a wildcard (if the FTP server supports it). Rename icon* to iconx (for
example) and then delete iconx

Thanks for this idea Richard. I had a file with a junk name
(g:\arc\blah") that I couldn't remove. I did 'mv g* junk' and then
deleted 'junk'. I used shell access (via a Perl script) for this.

dorayme

"rf said:
That is a carriage return.

You cannot of course remove that file using command line FTP as the
"carriage return" you type in does not become part of the file name but
rather indicates to the FTP client to process the message (or, rather,
indicates to the OS to pass this command line to the client).

Try a wildcard (if the FTP server supports it). Rename icon* to iconx (for
example) and then delete iconx

You might have missed (or did I forget to say?) I can't rename it
on the server... when I try, error message comes saying there is
no such file. If I am showing great ignorance, I am showing it.
Why should I hide from earthly friends?
You could also point your windows explorer (not IE) to the FTP server and
delete it that way.

I use Mac, it is not so troublesome for now that I would try with
my creaky old Win 98 PC to go online...

This is not a ghost file, it actually is there but just with a name you
cannot type in. I get this all the time when I am testing stuff in Arabic
and Chinese etc. Can't remember at all what the series of keystrokes were to
obtain a file name.

I am sure you are right, most ghosts have a simple boring earthly
explanation... :)

dorayme

Steven Saunderson said:
Richard is right, you have a CR at the end of the name. His idea of
renaming the file sounds good. Alternatively, you could try DELE
"Icon\r" but I have a feeling this won't work because I have managed to
create files with invalid names containing '\'.

Do you know how these files are created ?

In transferring data from Macs to Macs on USB sticks for example,
or to PCs, depending on the format, all sorts of things turn up
on the stick if it is formatted for PC (FAT) use. Resource forks
and odd files called Icon... I scarcely understand all this
stuff... It is a bit creepy really... But I am reminded of this
here.

On the other hand, they may just be signs of Mars' great enemy,
The Spartanicuns.

dorayme

Steven Saunderson said:
Thanks for this idea Richard. I had a file with a junk name
(g:\arc\blah") that I couldn't remove. I did 'mv g* junk' and then
deleted 'junk'. I used shell access (via a Perl script) for this.

I might have to get a more sophisticated FTP program to enter
commands like this?

rf

dorayme said:
Richard wrote:
You might have missed (or did I forget to say?) I can't rename it
on the server...

You can't rename it because you cannot *type in* a carriage return. You can
type in "icon". You cannot type in "icon%0d".

That is why I suggested you rename it using wildcards. This does work.
when I try, error message comes saying there is
no such file.

Yep. The file is called (for want of a better method of typing it in here)
"icon%0d". You can't type that in so you cannot rename that individual file.
You must find an alternative way of renaming it without having to *type in*
a CR. Wildcards work. *, or if you prefer, ?.
I use Mac, it is not so troublesome for now that I would try with
my creaky old Win 98 PC to go online...

This is a one off. Go over to your friends place (the one that has XP) and
do it there. It is remarkably easy. I do it all the time.
I am sure you are right, most ghosts have a simple boring earthly
explanation... :)

Whatever ;-)

--
Richard.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
It's a Unix server... I don't know more just now.

Can't give out passwords old chum as it is on a client of mine's
web hosting service. But deleting everything is not quite what I
had in mind! I'd rather leave ghosts about!

Okay been scanning this thread and dorayme it seems you have made a
file/folder on the *nix server that is invalid in your OS in this case a
carriage return in the name. This can happen when working between
different OSes. Your Mac client program will probably not work because
the problem occurs within your OS... similar problem with Windows when
dealing with *nix hidden dot files (.htaccess) if you try to rename it
Windows complains that you cannot have a file without a name and only a
file extension. Your choices are

1) Get the folks at the hosting company to fix it for you:
(a requires a tech assistance)

2) If you have SSH access login in and use the *nix shell commands to
fix your problem:
(not all hosting companies allow SSH and you need to be familiar with
*nix shell commands, since you where thrown by the 'mv' command I don't
this this one will work for you...)

3) Create a script Perl/PHP/Shell script to rename the folder as
previously suggested
(feasible but a you need to be up on your scripting and a bit of work)

4) Many hosting companies offer in their site manage control panel a
file manager script, fit it there...
(I this this is your best option, works like #3, but you do not have to
write the script!)

Check with your server's documentation, this is the one time that the
hosting company's file management script can be useful...usually they
are tedious and FTP is best.

dorayme

"rf said:
... I suggested you rename it using wildcards. This does work.
I would need more instructions on how to do this with Cyberduck
(Mac FTP client). I am not asking for instruction. I appreciate
your attempt to help. But if you are determined and this
ghost-like object is bugging you as much or more than it bugs me,
then further detailed instructions are an option. :)
This is a one off. Go over to your friends place (the one that has XP) and
do it there. It is remarkably easy. I do it all the time.
Yes, thanks. I would do this when I understand it and it is
convenient. I open something called Windows Explorer and I
"point" "it" to the FTP server... um... maybe I will work it out
when I get there...
Whatever ;-)

My daughter says this "Whatever" while rolling her eyes at me
when I say things...

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
[...]

All good and true. I will explore some of these options further.
I did suspect inter platform trouble (as mentioned in a previous
post of mine) so am pleased you also think this. Asking the host
co seems the simplest thing - but it means going via my client
and proving more bothersome than I want to appea.

[I bother alt.html and you all bother me and it is a nice
bothersome acceptable relationship. But business is different, I
have to appear more sane and just another regular earthling.]

A kind soul has or is helping out with a script and I am bit
interested in having a sure fire technique to deal with it on
hand... this is early days in this long war against my ghosts,
you can never judge by a few early lost battles...

Andy Dingley

dorayme said:
Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
process?

FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
directory (Icon)

Icon ? With an "I" ? Case-sensitivity problem, probably arising from
Windows / Unix incompatibility?

Brian Cryer

cwdjrxyz said:
Ghosts can happen on a computer as well as a server. You only have a
ghost icon. I have a ghost movie on my computer. The computer crashed
for some unknow reason when I was processing an about 4 GB movie mpg
file. After starting again, there was a directory with a movie file
where it should be. However the movie file was of unknown type and of
zero size. The computer would not allow you to delete either the
directory or the ghost movie and would say that the file could not be
found on the HD. Renaming, etc did not help. I am on Windows XP with
all of the updates. A system restore did not help. When you clean up
the C HD and defrag, everything defrags except several fragments for
the ghost movie, and the computer still thinks it has an about 4 GB
file stored on the HD. The only sure way I know to solve this problem
is to completely erase the HD and reinstall everything. I am not that
desperate to solve the problem which is doing no harm. Of course, on
the server you use, you likely do not have this option unless you own
the server. Hopefully someone else has had experience with ghosts on a
server or computer and can describe how they solved the problem.

Did you try running chkdsk? Start > Run "chkdsk c: /f"
Hopefully you should be able to delete your ghost movie after that.

cwdjrxyz

Did you try running chkdsk? Start > Run "chkdsk c: /f"
Hopefully you should be able to delete your ghost movie after that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but running chkdsk did not help. I also
earlier ran an XP more complete check of the C disc with options
checked to scan for bad sectors and fix if possible. This takes much
longer than chkdsk, but it found no problems. I earlier tried 2
programs to remove bad files, but they did not work either. I have
searched the C drive for files with words that likely would be in the
unreachable file, if present, but found nothing. The icon for the ghost
video file is the one with multicolored dots that you get for file
types that Windows does not know. This often happens, and you just have
to select the program to open the file. However this file is given as
zero bytes and the computer just tells you it can not find the file and
will not let you open it, change it, erase it, rename it, or anything
else I have tried.. On the other hand if you defrag, the report tells
you that the ghost video that is considerably fragmented is about 4 GB,
about the normal size for a video to be burned to a single layer DVD. I
have leared to live with this as it causes no problems other than
wasting some space if a file is really there, but every now and then I
think of something new and try it.

Jonathan N. Little

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

For your situation Windows may be locking the file thinking some process
is currently accessing it. Have you tried chkdsk from the Recovery
Console? Since in Recovery Console your in a pseudo-DOS it can solve
such locking issues. Another option is to slave the drive to another
system and check the disk that way...

dorayme

"Andy Dingley said:
Icon ? With an "I" ? Case-sensitivity problem, probably arising from
Windows / Unix incompatibility?

Perhaps something along these lines..

I know that when I put Mac files on my FAT (DOS formatted) USB
stick to transfer stuff to a Windows box, Icon_ file(s)
sometimes appear for reasons that are just too much for my brain
(I think?). I noticed it this morning.

I am trying to think how it happened? At least I noticed it when
I tried to delete a whole folder, it was not in there before as
far as I know. And then it was, after all the rest of the files
inside the folder were successfully purged by the FTP program
after I selected the folder and used a command "Delete" from a
context menu. A notice came up saying folder could not be deleted
because a file, Icon, could not be found. I thought to myself how
pathetic. If it could not be found, why the hell did the folder
not get deleted anyway, what use is this ghost like object to man
or beast. I tell you, this is really spooky stuff.

cwdjrxyz

Jonathan said:
For your situation Windows may be locking the file thinking some process
is currently accessing it. Have you tried chkdsk from the Recovery
Console? Since in Recovery Console your in a pseudo-DOS it can solve
such locking issues. Another option is to slave the drive to another
system and check the disk that way...

Thanks for the 2 suggestions. I don't have another suitable system to
slave the drive to. However using the Recovery Console likely will be
possible.

I have started looking at the registry, and I have found something
interesting there. Looking at
HKEY_Current_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603\ there
are 4 key entries with numbers as names, all of type REG_SZ and with
data values of the type MOVIE.mpg, .mpg, MOVIE, and .vob . However a
search of the C-drive turns up only the Ghost file "MOVIE" of zero byte
size. There was a MOVIE.mpg file at one time when the file was being
processed to convert to .vob and other DVD files, and the computer
crashed when doing this. I am considering deleting the MOVIE.mpg, .mpg,
and .vob keys one at a time to see if this helps. Of course I will
backup up the registry and set a restore point just before doing this
each time. It appears that the icon for the ghost file is under control
of the MOVIE key. The MOVIE.mpg key might be pointing to some other
data used by defrag that was not deleted after recovery from the crash,
so the defrag report still thinks it has a 4 GB movie file, but of
course fails to defrag it if it is not there. This is just a wild
guess.