Ghostscript locking files in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Christopher Campbell, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. I am calling Ghostscript 8.00 from and ASP.NET application (VB) to create
    ..JPG thumbnails of .PDF files. I have created a class module for
    Ghostscript and I am creating an instance of the class to act on. I pass
    the class the name of the PDF file, the name of the JPG file that I want it
    to create, and a resolution factor to control resizing.

    This all works great. However, when Ghostscript finishes, it seems to
    maintain a lock on the output file. The problem is, if the user tries to
    overlay the file and create a new thumbnail, Ghostscript can't overlay the
    thumbail file and the original image is left on the server.

    My process looks something like this:

    Dim GS as GhostScript ' GhostScript is my new class.
    Dim gsReturn as boolean

    GS = New GhostScript

    gsReturn = GS.ConvertFile(inputfile, outputfile)

    GS = Nothing

    The "ConvertFile" method calls the Ghostscript API. At the end of the
    process it calls gsapi_exit and gsapi_delete_instance.

    Can anyone think of a reason that the lock on the output file would be held
    or a way for me to force that lock to be released?

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Christopher Campbell
    mailto:

    Christopher Campbell, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Hi Christopher,

    I have done some research regarding this issue but have not found a
    specific idea. I am not familiar with the Ghostscript.

    Personally I think that you can contact Ghostscript for help. They can
    provide more information regarding this issue. Thank you for your
    understanding.

    http://www.ghostscript.com
    "...
    Welcome to www.ghostscript.com, the news and community site for