Giant C++ resources list, 2nd edition

Stephen Tyndall

This is the updated version of the resources list posted last month.
Updates:

-Now application-neutral. The old list had video game-related programming
books.
-Required reading section added.
-Separate section about the Thinking in C++ books now.
-C++ Programming in Easy Steps was removed from the beginners' list. Not a
bad book, but others are better.
-You Can Do It! by Francis Glassborow added to the beginner books based on
recommendations from people on this newsgroup.
-Herb Sutter's upcoming book "Exceptional C++ Style" added.
-Visual Studio magazine removed from the magazines section. They don't seem
to do anything besides VB.NET and C#.
-Herb Sutter's website (www.gotw.ca) added.
-Nicolai M. Josuttis' website (www.josuttis.com) added.
-C++ Annotations site (www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/) added.

Peter Koch Larsen posted:
"There could instead be a list of recommended web sites (accu.org for
book-reviews, Dewhursts and Sutters and Stroustrups for general C++ info and
so on)."

If possible, I'd like to know who Dewhurst is and where to find his website.
Also, while I could just delete most of the content of the list and link to
accu.org, I'd rather just list the ones I've found recommended in various
places so that everyone can go straight to looking into them.

All books are available on Amazon and probably on eBay. Please reply to
this message if you feel it could be improved in any way (removing books,
adding books, recommending books, general suggestions, etc.).

**BOOKS FOR BEGINNERS**
Accelerated C++ (Koenig & Moo - use if you know a language already)
C++ Primer Plus: Fourth Edition (Stephen Prata)
You Can Do It! (Francis Glassborow)

**REQUIRED READING** - books every C++ programmer should own
C++ Templates: The Complete Guide (Vandevoorde, Josuttis)
Design Patterns (Erich Gamma, et al.)
Effective C++: 2nd Edition (Scott Meyers)
Effective STL (Scott Meyers)
Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
Exceptional C++ Style (Herb Sutter)
More Effective C++ (Scott Meyers)
More Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
The C++ Programming Language: Special 3rd Edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)
The C++ Standard: Incorporating Technical Corrigendum No. 1 (important!)
The C++ Standard Library" A Tutorial and Reference (Nicolai M. Josuttis)

**OTHER BOOKS**
Algorithms in C++: Parts 1-5: Third Edition (Robert Sedgewick)
C and C++ Code Capsules (Chuck Allison)
C++ Gems (Stan Lippman, editor)
C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management (Michael C. Daconta)
C++ Strategies and Tactics (Robert B. Murray)
Code Complete: 2nd Edition (Steve McConnell)
Efficient C++: Performance Programming Techniques (Bulka & Mayhew)
Generic Programming and the STL (Matthew H. Austern)
Industrial Strength C++ Rules and Recommendations (Henricson & Nyquist)
Large Scale C++ Software Design (John Lakos)
Modern C++ Design (Andrei Alexandrescu)
More C++ Gems (Robert C. Martin)
Multi-Paradigm Design for C++ (James Coplien)
No Bugs! Delivering Error Free Code in C and C++ (David Thielen)
Object-Oriented Multithreading using C++ (Hughes & Hughes)
Practical Debugging in C++ (Ford & Teorey)
Programming Pearls: 2nd Edition (Jon Bentley)
Reusability & Software Construction with C and C++ (Jerry D. Smith)
Ruminations on C++ (Koenig & Moo)
The Annotated C++ Reference Manual (Ellis & Stroustrup)
The Design and Evolution of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) - might be outdated
The Practice of Programming (Kernighan & Pike)

**MAGAZINES**
C/C++ User's Journal

**WEB RESOURCES**
About.com (C/C++/C# tutorials) - cplus.about.com
ACCU - www.accu.org
Bjarne Stroustrup's website - www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
Boost C++ Libraries - www.boost.org
C++ Annotations 5.2.4 - www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/
C/C++ User's Journal - www.cuj.com
CodeGuru - www.codeguru.com
comp.lang.c++ FAQ - www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
cplusplus.com - www.cplusplus.com
flipCode - www.flipcode.com
Herb Sutter's website - www.gotw.ca
MSDN (Visual C++) - msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
Nicolai M. Josuttis' website - www.josuttis.com
Programmers' Heaven - www.programmersheaven.com
The Code Project - www.codeproject.com

**FREE ONLINE BOOKS**
Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ (Volumes One and Two) are available at
www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html . You can also
read them online without downloading them if you go to
jamesthornton.com/eckel/

Stephen Tyndall

Stephen Tyndall said:
[...]

Something I forgot:

**C++ NEWSGROUPS**
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
microsoft.public.vc.language

//mike tyndall

Sharad Kala

**C++ NEWSGROUPS**
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
microsoft.public.vc.language

I don't think the last two qualify in the standard C++ newgroups category.

Stephen Tyndall

Sharad Kala said:
I don't think the last two qualify in the standard C++ newgroups category.

They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly high
amount of stuff about MS extensions.

Sharad Kala

They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly high
amount of stuff about MS extensions.

Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see them
for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are also
answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++* newsgroups
list.

Stephen Tyndall

Sharad Kala said:
Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see them
for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are also
answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++* newsgroups
list.

Yeah, I guess so. I'll remove them next time.

//mike tyndall

John Harrison

Yeah, I guess so. I'll remove them next time.

//mike tyndall

I don't see the problem really. Perhaps you could have 'standard C++' and
'other C++ related' categories.

Anyway good work.

john

Stephen Tyndall

John Harrison said:
I don't see the problem really. Perhaps you could have 'standard C++' and
'other C++ related' categories.

That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the input.
BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
of. What are some of the other ones?

//mike tyndall

John Harrison

That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the
input.
BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
of. What are some of the other ones?

Here's a couple

I'm sure there's more, especially in the borland hierarchy.

john

Walter

Stephen Tyndall said:
That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the input.
BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
of. What are some of the other ones?

The c++ newsgroup on the news.digitalmars.com news server.

-Walter
www.digitalmars.com free C/C++/D compilers