Giant C++ resources list, 2nd edition

Discussion in 'C++' started by Stephen Tyndall, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. This is the updated version of the resources list posted last month.
    Updates:

    -Now application-neutral. The old list had video game-related programming
    books.
    -Required reading section added.
    -Separate section about the Thinking in C++ books now.
    -C++ Programming in Easy Steps was removed from the beginners' list. Not a
    bad book, but others are better.
    -You Can Do It! by Francis Glassborow added to the beginner books based on
    recommendations from people on this newsgroup.
    -Herb Sutter's upcoming book "Exceptional C++ Style" added.
    -Visual Studio magazine removed from the magazines section. They don't seem
    to do anything besides VB.NET and C#.
    -Herb Sutter's website (www.gotw.ca) added.
    -Nicolai M. Josuttis' website (www.josuttis.com) added.
    -C++ Annotations site (www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/) added.

    Peter Koch Larsen posted:
    "There could instead be a list of recommended web sites (accu.org for
    book-reviews, Dewhursts and Sutters and Stroustrups for general C++ info and
    so on)."

    If possible, I'd like to know who Dewhurst is and where to find his website.
    Also, while I could just delete most of the content of the list and link to
    accu.org, I'd rather just list the ones I've found recommended in various
    places so that everyone can go straight to looking into them.

    All books are available on Amazon and probably on eBay. Please reply to
    this message if you feel it could be improved in any way (removing books,
    adding books, recommending books, general suggestions, etc.).

    **BOOKS FOR BEGINNERS**
    Accelerated C++ (Koenig & Moo - use if you know a language already)
    C++ Primer Plus: Fourth Edition (Stephen Prata)
    You Can Do It! (Francis Glassborow)

    **REQUIRED READING** - books every C++ programmer should own
    C++ Templates: The Complete Guide (Vandevoorde, Josuttis)
    Design Patterns (Erich Gamma, et al.)
    Effective C++: 2nd Edition (Scott Meyers)
    Effective STL (Scott Meyers)
    Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
    Exceptional C++ Style (Herb Sutter)
    More Effective C++ (Scott Meyers)
    More Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
    Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
    The C++ Programming Language: Special 3rd Edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)
    The C++ Standard: Incorporating Technical Corrigendum No. 1 (important!)
    The C++ Standard Library" A Tutorial and Reference (Nicolai M. Josuttis)

    **OTHER BOOKS**
    Algorithms in C++: Parts 1-5: Third Edition (Robert Sedgewick)
    C and C++ Code Capsules (Chuck Allison)
    C++ Gems (Stan Lippman, editor)
    C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management (Michael C. Daconta)
    C++ Strategies and Tactics (Robert B. Murray)
    Code Complete: 2nd Edition (Steve McConnell)
    Efficient C++: Performance Programming Techniques (Bulka & Mayhew)
    Generic Programming and the STL (Matthew H. Austern)
    Industrial Strength C++ Rules and Recommendations (Henricson & Nyquist)
    Large Scale C++ Software Design (John Lakos)
    Modern C++ Design (Andrei Alexandrescu)
    More C++ Gems (Robert C. Martin)
    Multi-Paradigm Design for C++ (James Coplien)
    No Bugs! Delivering Error Free Code in C and C++ (David Thielen)
    Object-Oriented Multithreading using C++ (Hughes & Hughes)
    Practical Debugging in C++ (Ford & Teorey)
    Programming Pearls: 2nd Edition (Jon Bentley)
    Reusability & Software Construction with C and C++ (Jerry D. Smith)
    Ruminations on C++ (Koenig & Moo)
    The Annotated C++ Reference Manual (Ellis & Stroustrup)
    The Design and Evolution of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) - might be outdated
    The Practice of Programming (Kernighan & Pike)

    **MAGAZINES**
    C/C++ User's Journal

    **WEB RESOURCES**
    About.com (C/C++/C# tutorials) - cplus.about.com
    ACCU - www.accu.org
    Bjarne Stroustrup's website - www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
    Boost C++ Libraries - www.boost.org
    C++ Annotations 5.2.4 - www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/
    C/C++ User's Journal - www.cuj.com
    CodeGuru - www.codeguru.com
    comp.lang.c++ FAQ - www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    cplusplus.com - www.cplusplus.com
    flipCode - www.flipcode.com
    Herb Sutter's website - www.gotw.ca
    MSDN (Visual C++) - msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
    Nicolai M. Josuttis' website - www.josuttis.com
    Programmers' Heaven - www.programmersheaven.com
    The Code Project - www.codeproject.com

    **FREE ONLINE BOOKS**
    Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ (Volumes One and Two) are available at
    www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html . You can also
    read them online without downloading them if you go to
    jamesthornton.com/eckel/

    Stephen Tyndall, Aug 1, 2004

  2. "Stephen Tyndall" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > ACCU - www.accu.org
    > Bjarne Stroustrup's website - www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
    > Boost C++ Libraries - www.boost.org
    > C++ Annotations 5.2.4 - www.icce.rug.nl/documents/cplusplus/
    > C/C++ User's Journal - www.cuj.com
    > CodeGuru - www.codeguru.com
    > comp.lang.c++ FAQ - www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > cplusplus.com - www.cplusplus.com
    > flipCode - www.flipcode.com
    > Herb Sutter's website - www.gotw.ca
    > MSDN (Visual C++) - msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
    > Nicolai M. Josuttis' website - www.josuttis.com
    > Programmers' Heaven - www.programmersheaven.com
    > The Code Project - www.codeproject.com
    >
    > **FREE ONLINE BOOKS**
    > Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ (Volumes One and Two) are available at
    > www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html . You can also
    > read them online without downloading them if you go to

    Something I forgot:

    **C++ NEWSGROUPS**
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
    comp.lang.c++
    comp.lang.c++.moderated
    comp.std.c++
    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    microsoft.public.vc.language

    //mike tyndall

    Stephen Tyndall, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Stephen Tyndall

    Sharad Kala Guest

    > **C++ NEWSGROUPS**
    > alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
    > comp.lang.c++
    > comp.lang.c++.moderated
    > comp.std.c++

    > microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    > microsoft.public.vc.language

    I don't think the last two qualify in the standard C++ newgroups category.

    Sharad Kala, Aug 2, 2004
  4. "Sharad Kala" <> wrote in message

    > > **C++ NEWSGROUPS**
    > > alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
    > > comp.lang.c++
    > > comp.lang.c++.moderated
    > > comp.std.c++

    > > microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    > > microsoft.public.vc.language

    > I don't think the last two qualify in the standard C++ newgroups category.

    They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly high
    amount of stuff about MS extensions.

    Stephen Tyndall, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Stephen Tyndall

    Sharad Kala Guest

    > They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly high
    > amount of stuff about MS extensions.

    Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see them
    for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are also
    answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++* newsgroups
    list.

    Sharad Kala, Aug 2, 2004
  6. "Sharad Kala" <> wrote in message

    > > They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly high
    > > amount of stuff about MS extensions.

    > Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see

    them
    > for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are

    also
    > answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++* newsgroups
    > list.

    Yeah, I guess so. I'll remove them next time.

    //mike tyndall

    Stephen Tyndall, Aug 2, 2004
  7. On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 02:19:31 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    wrote:

    > "Sharad Kala" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > They cover questions about standard C++, even if there is a fairly

    >> high
    >> > amount of stuff about MS extensions.

    >> Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see

    > them
    >> for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are

    > also
    >> answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++* newsgroups
    >> list.

    > Yeah, I guess so. I'll remove them next time.
    >
    > //mike tyndall

    I don't see the problem really. Perhaps you could have 'standard C++' and
    'other C++ related' categories.

    Anyway good work.

    john

    John Harrison, Aug 2, 2004
  8. "John Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 02:19:31 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Sharad Kala" <> wrote in message

    > >> high
    > >>
    > >> Then you might as well include borland, gcc etc newsgroups too. I see

    > > them
    > >> for platform specific questions even though standard C++ questions are

    > > also
    > >> answered there. IMO, they should not be in the *standard C++*

    newsgroups
    > >> list.

    > > Yeah, I guess so. I'll remove them next time.
    > >
    > > //mike tyndall
    > >

    > I don't see the problem really. Perhaps you could have 'standard C++' and
    > 'other C++ related' categories.

    That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the input.
    BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
    of. What are some of the other ones?

    //mike tyndall

    Stephen Tyndall, Aug 2, 2004
  9. > That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the
    input.
    > BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
    > of. What are some of the other ones?

    Here's a couple

    I'm sure there's more, especially in the borland hierarchy.

    john

    John Harrison, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Stephen Tyndall

    Walter Guest

    > That's a good idea. THAT is what I'll do next time. Thanks for the

    input.
    > BTW, those Microsoft ones are the only non-standard C++ newsgroups I know
    > of. What are some of the other ones?

    The c++ newsgroup on the news.digitalmars.com news server.

    -Walter
    www.digitalmars.com free C/C++/D compilers

    Walter, Aug 2, 2004