    which pixels are black or white.

    sounds pretty simple doesn' t it?

    , Oct 6, 2008

  2. Steve Holden Guest

    wrote:
    > has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
    > require PIL or tons of other claptrap?
    >
    > the GIF89a format is pretty straightforward and C is not required to
    > create these files.
    >
    > i didn't want to have to upgrade to a newer release of python, install
    > a huge bunch of stuff or compile
    > anything. and i don't care about other formats or animation or
    > whatever. black and white is ok.
    >
    > i just want to be able to create a gif that's 100x40 (or whatever) and
    > pass in an array saying
    > which pixels are black or white.
    >
    > sounds pretty simple doesn' t it?

    It doesn't sound anywhere near as simple as downloading and installing
    PIL then using that. Claptrap is in the eye of the beholder. There are
    many pitfalls awaiting the programmer who decides to write something to
    do such a "simple" task ...

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Oct 6, 2008

  3. Miki Guest

    > i didn't want to have to upgrade to a newer release of python, install
    > a huge bunch of stuff or compile
    > anything.  and i don't care about other formats or animation or
    > whatever.  black and white is ok.

    One option is to install ImageMagick and use subprocess.Popen to
    communicate with it. This will work even when you upgrade Python.

    HTH,
    --
    Miki <>
    http://pythonwise.blogspot.com

    Miki, Oct 6, 2008
  4. In message
    <>,
    wrote:

    > has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
    > require PIL or tons of other claptrap?

    It's so much easier to just go into Synaptic (or whatever your package
    manager is) and check a few boxes to install all the necessary "claptrap",
    than it is to try to reinvent large chunks of it yourself.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2008
  5. On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:18:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    > has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
    > require PIL or tons of other claptrap?

    If you would be interested in an old and simpleminded Python
    program for manipulating PNM files, contact me by email.
    The comments include these lines:

    # Usage:
    # import pnm
    # f = pnm.InputFile( "blooey.ppm" )