GifImageDecoder, UnsatisfiedLinkError Exception

joes

Hello there

I am getting the following exception during rendering pdf with fop and
java. The stack trace is attached at the end of this message. It seems
that the gif images could not be decoded because of a missing native
library. The application is running on a sun solaris environment with
JRE 1.3.1_04-b02.

Does anyone know what could be missining ? I guess the GIF decoding is
not part of the JVM and needs some additional *.so libraries ? If yes
which ones ?

Where is the java doc and source code for the class "
sun.awt.image.GifImageDecoder" available ?

Thank you for any hints.

regards
Mark

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: exception occurred in JNI_OnLoad
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1414)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:48)
at sun.awt.image.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(NativeLibLoader.java:36)
at sun.awt.image.GifImageDecoder.<clinit>(GifImageDecoder.java:362)
at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.getDecoder(InputStreamImageSource.java:217)
at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getDecoder(URLImageSource.java:137)
at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:246)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:167)
at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:135)

Marco Schmidt

joes:

[...]
Does anyone know what could be missining ? I guess the GIF decoding is
not part of the JVM and needs some additional *.so libraries ? If yes
which ones ?
Where is the java doc and source code for the class "
sun.awt.image.GifImageDecoder" available ?

Docs - I don't know. The sun.* packages are typically not documented.
Source - j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip (directory
\j2se\src\share\classes\sun\awt\image) from
<http://wwws.sun.com/software/communitysource/j2se/java2/index.html>.
The code is a static initializer and loads native libraries. This
seems to verify your guess that some library is missing. Or maybe it
is simply not found.

Regards,
Marco

joes

Thank you for the hints, you have right about the static load of the
libraries.

I did a recompilation of some classes and saw that a library "awt" is
requested. Here the snippet line:

AccessController.doPrivileged(new LoadLibraryAction("awt"));

Has anyone experience on Sun Solaris which native library are
therefore needed ?

thank you regards
Mark