give servlet permission to create file

Discussion in 'Java' started by tiewknvc9, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    Hi!

    I am creating a servlet that uploads a file from the users computer to
    my servers computer.

    When I write the file to the server I am getting continually an access
    denied message. Which sux, because Im paying for the space on the
    serve, why cant I write to it programatically?!

    Anyway Im wondering if there is a certain server setting that I can ask
    them to change, or a permission that i should be asking for, or
    something. I mean surely other people must want to write files to
    their servers, right?

    Thanks for any (non-evil) thoughts, including a better hosting service
    that is cheap (not making any money off of site).

    Thanks! Error message is below.

    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: access denied
    (java.io.FilePermission /pleaseWork.jb write)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:372)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
    sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor326.invoke(Unknown Source)
    org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:239)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
    org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:266)
    org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:157)
    tiewknvc9, Aug 23, 2006

  2. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    and we're using apache tomcat as the server...

    tiewknvc9, Aug 23, 2006

  3. tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > I am creating a servlet that uploads a file from the users computer to
    > my servers computer.

    > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: access denied
    > (java.io.FilePermission /pleaseWork.jb write)

    I *suspect*
    1) that your host *does* allow writing to files,
    but files located within your own directories.
    2) Anything pointing to the 'root' e.g. file '/..'
    is in *their* directories, rather than yours.

    You might try a 'getRealPath' to find where
    that file is really (trying) to go.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 23, 2006
  4. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    I just called my hosting company, who say I have all the appropriate
    access priviledges...

    Which I would rather not believe, but they say its true...

    Here is what my code reads as:

    String curDir = application.getRealPath("");
    System.out.println(curDir);

    File filFile = new File(curDir + "/pleaseWork.txt");

    out.println(filFile.getAbsolutePath());
    //filFile.createNewFile(); //breaks here!

    any idea what IM doing wrong?!?!!

    tiewknvc9, Aug 23, 2006
  5. tiewknvc9

    Scott Harper Guest

    In article <>, "tiewknvc9" <> wrote:
    >When I write the file to the server I am getting continually an access
    >denied message. Which sux, because Im paying for the space on the
    >serve, why cant I write to it programatically?!
    >
    >Anyway Im wondering if there is a certain server setting that I can ask
    >them to change, or a permission that i should be asking for, or
    >something. I mean surely other people must want to write files to
    >their servers, right?

    >org.apache.jasper.JasperException: access denied
    >(java.io.FilePermission /pleaseWork.jb write)

    We were having very similar issues in our hosted environment. It turned out
    that the Tomcat Security Manager had been enabled, and basically denied
    everything by default. So they had to go tweak the policies to allow the
    things we needed. In addition to file access permissions, we had problems
    with sockets and also accessing system properties.

    Take a look at the following links... there is probably something similar in
    the tomcat 5.x documentation as well.

    http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/security-manager-howto.html
    http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-security.html

    The policy files are:

    $CATALINA_HOME/conf/catalina.policy
    $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.policy

    Good luck...

    scott
    Scott Harper, Aug 23, 2006
  6. tiewknvc9 wrote:

    Please refrain from top-posting - I find it most confusing.

    > I just called my hosting company, who say I have all the appropriate
    > access priviledges...
    >
    > Which I would rather not believe, but they say its true...

    I believe them. Their answer does not surprise me.
    (I have heard similar answers from my own web-host/s!)

    > Here is what my code reads as:
    >
    > String curDir = application.getRealPath("");
    > System.out.println(curDir);

    When I suggested using getRealPath, what I meant was ..

    a) Use getRealPath on the string that indicates 'root' - "/".
    b) Print the result.
    c) Tell *us* that result here...

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 23, 2006
  7. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    Trying to write a file using

    FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    where var equals....

    BAD -> request.getServletPath()

    BAD -> request.getRemoteHost()

    BAD -> request.getRemoteAddr()

    BAD -> request.getRequestURL()

    BAD -> getServletContext().getRealPath("/")

    :(

    Im at a lose. What am I doing wrong? My hosting company tells me that
    I have all the proper permissions.

    tiewknvc9, Aug 25, 2006
  8. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    sorry, I did not print the path that was generated. Since they
    restart the server at 3am, I uploaded a new file, outputting the path.
    So tomorrow I will be able to write the path here...

    tiewknvc9, Aug 25, 2006
  9. tiewknvc9 wrote:

    Noted your next post, but just quickly..

    > Trying to write ..

    Stop! Let's just find out exactly where we are
    before anyone tries writing (or even thinking of
    writing) anything.

    >...a file using
    >
    > FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    as understood by the server at this moment in time.

    Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.

    Also, please refrain from top-posting.
    I find it most confusing.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 25, 2006
  10. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    >
    > Noted your next post, but just quickly..
    >
    > > Trying to write ..

    > Stop! Let's just find out exactly where we are
    > before anyone tries writing (or even thinking of
    > writing) anything.
    >
    > >...a file using
    > >
    > > FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    >
    > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.
    >
    > Also, please refrain from top-posting.
    > I find it most confusing.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    will try tonight. Will report results tomorrow morning, if I am asleep
    before 4am
    tiewknvc9, Aug 25, 2006
  11. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > >
    > > Noted your next post, but just quickly..
    > >
    > > > Trying to write ..

    > > Stop! Let's just find out exactly where we are
    > > before anyone tries writing (or even thinking of
    > > writing) anything.
    > >
    > > >...a file using
    > > >
    > > > FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    > > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    > >
    > > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.
    > >
    > > Also, please refrain from top-posting.
    > > I find it most confusing.
    > >
    > > Andrew T.

    Problem.

    It gets the path to c:\tomcat\, Im on a shared hosting plan. I dont
    think that they will tell me what the path is to my home directory...

    Ill give it a shot anyway.

    Any other ideas?
    tiewknvc9, Aug 26, 2006
  12. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Noted your next post, but just quickly..

    > > > Stop! Let's just find out exactly where we are
    > > > before anyone tries writing (or even thinking of
    > > > writing) anything.

    > > > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > > > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > > > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    > > >
    > > > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > > > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.
    > > >
    > > > Also, please refrain from top-posting.
    > > > I find it most confusing.
    > > >
    > > > Andrew T.

    > Problem.
    >
    > It gets the path to c:\tomcat\, Im on a shared hosting plan. I dont
    > think that they will tell me what the path is to my home directory...

    Oh duh. It links to the current SET working directory! maybe Ill be
    lucky :)

    only tried it on my tomcat server, where the home directory was set to
    c:\tomcat

    tiewknvc9, Aug 26, 2006
  13. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    I hope its not security!

    I actually asked them if I had the proper permissions, and they said
    that I did. They could always be screwing with me though.... If I
    cant get it to work in the next few days, Im going to have to find a
    new host :(

    tiewknvc9, Aug 26, 2006
  14. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    >
    > Noted your next post, but just quickly..
    >
    > > Trying to write ..

    > Stop! Let's just find out exactly where we are
    > before anyone tries writing (or even thinking of
    > writing) anything.
    >
    > >...a file using
    > >
    > > FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    >
    > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.
    >
    > Also, please refrain from top-posting.
    > I find it most confusing.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    None of it is working. The second I call myFile.createNewFile(); it
    breaks every time.

    The closest I think Ive come to a solution is being able to print out
    the
    this.getServletContext().getRealPath("/")
    /var/chroot/home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/

    where I still cant create a file in that directory.

    what a pain in my arse. I feel lost.
    tiewknvc9, Aug 26, 2006
  15. tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > tiewknvc9 wrote:

    Before I continue I should point out that I am hoping
    some of the server-side guru's can jump into this
    thread, it's a while since I've uses the server stuff
    and I'm a little rusty.
    > > > FIle x = new File (var + "myNewFile.txt");

    > > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    > >
    > > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.

    > None of it is working. The second I call myFile.createNewFile(); it
    > breaks every time.

    Like I said - until you're confident you know where you
    are in the structure (or perhaps convince *me* that you
    are attempting to write into your home directories), writing
    is a bit premature.. but..

    > The closest I think Ive come to a solution is being able to print out
    > the
    > this.getServletContext().getRealPath("/")
    > /var/chroot/home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/

    OK.. where is that in relation to your site?
    If I visit the domain, and end up getting served the
    /index.html (or whatever is your default homepage)
    ...where would that file live, within the path shown above?

    I am guessing it is either ..
    /var/chroot/home/content/index.html
    ...or..
    /var/chroot/home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/index.html

    Is either of those correct?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 26, 2006
  16. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > > tiewknvc9 wrote:

    > Before I continue I should point out that I am hoping
    > some of the server-side guru's can jump into this
    > thread, it's a while since I've uses the server stuff
    > and I'm a little rusty.
    > ..
    > > >
    > > > Now. Drop the filename for the moment and
    > > > try the file name "." to indicate 'the current directory'
    > > > as understood by the server at this moment in time.
    > > >
    > > > Then (assuming even that is successful) try
    > > > printing it out to ..HTML or whatever.

    > > None of it is working. The second I call myFile.createNewFile(); it
    > > breaks every time.

    > Like I said - until you're confident you know where you
    > are in the structure (or perhaps convince *me* that you
    > are attempting to write into your home directories), writing
    > is a bit premature.. but..
    >
    > > The closest I think Ive come to a solution is being able to print out
    > > the
    > > this.getServletContext().getRealPath("/")
    > > /var/chroot/home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/

    > OK.. where is that in relation to your site?
    > If I visit the domain, and end up getting served the
    > /index.html (or whatever is your default homepage)
    > ..where would that file live, within the path shown above?
    >
    > I am guessing it is either ..
    > /var/chroot/home/content/index.html
    > ..or..
    > /var/chroot/home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/index.html
    >
    > Is either of those correct?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Thanks for the response Andrew.

    I scoured my hosting company's site, and found this:

    "
    This is the absolute path for your Linux hosting account:

    /home/content/1/2/3/username/html/
    Where "/1/2/3/" are the first three letters of your user name and
    "username" is the user name you used to set up your hosting account.
    For example, if your user name were "johndoe," then your absolute path
    would be:

    /home/content/j/o/h/johndoe/html
    "

    so in addition to your suggestions, I tried to write the new file to
    /home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/k.txt

    still no luck. :(
    tiewknvc9, Aug 26, 2006
  17. tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > This is the absolute path for your Linux hosting account:
    >
    > /home/content/1/2/3/username/html/
    > Where "/1/2/3/" are the first three letters of your user name and
    > "username" is the user name you used to set up your hosting account.
    > For example, if your user name were "johndoe," then your absolute path
    > would be:
    >
    > /home/content/j/o/h/johndoe/html
    > "
    >
    > so in addition to your suggestions, I tried to write the new file to
    > /home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/k.txt

    That would make it the directory *above* your main homepage
    directory.. I am not sure if site users (you) are supposed to be
    able to programmatically write files there!

    Why not try writing a file in .....
    /home/content/a/d/a/adartie2/html/temp/a.txt

    (Note the 'temp' directory to keep these file(s) separate
    from your real site, make that directory first, manually).

    BTW - Did you say something rude to the server people
    around here? I am wonderrring why not one of them has
    jumped in to point out the errors I am making..

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 27, 2006
  18. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    I got it.... sort of.

    my host is only allowing me to write to the \tmp\ directory. Which
    sux, but Ill deal with it. I guess im giong to have to email myself
    the files as they come in.

    That was the problem, Im not allowed to write to my actual account
    directory. Isnt that ridiculous? Perhaps I should consider changing
    hosts.

    Thank you so much for your help! Ive learned a lot from you.

    tiewknvc9, Aug 27, 2006
  19. tiewknvc9 wrote:
    > I got it.... sort of.
    >
    > my host is only allowing me to write to the \tmp\ directory. Which
    > sux, but Ill deal with it. I guess im giong to have to email myself
    > the files as they come in.
    >
    > That was the problem, Im not allowed to write to my actual account
    > directory.

    It does strike me as 'familiar' that there are only
    specific areas into which you can write.
    I can't say that 'temp' sounds right, but I'd defer
    to the server operators.

    >..Isnt that ridiculous?

    No. Servers are *very* carefully controlled, for good reason.

    A problem that allows a malicious or stupid end user, or
    faulty code, to (for example) attempt a write of 54Gig might
    be something that not only brings your site crashing down,
    but probably the server and everyone else's sites!

    If they can help avoid that by limiting site owners to writing
    in specific dirrectories, it is a benefit to all who have sites
    coming off that server.

    >...Perhaps I should consider changing hosts.

    I wold not recommend being so rash. Nothing you
    have told me about this host really surprises me,
    & I suspect any other host will have similar restrictions.

    > Thank you so much for your help!

    You're welcome.

    >...Ive learned a lot from you.

    ....hmmm. Trouble is - I still have a lot to learn about it!

    ( Have you heard the saying 'the blind leading the blind'? ;)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Aug 27, 2006
  20. tiewknvc9

    tiewknvc9 Guest

    >( Have you heard the saying 'the blind leading the blind'? ;)

    of course, but perhaps that way both will learn how to see.

    tiewknvc9, Aug 30, 2006