Giving an application a window icon in a sensible way

Twisted

In general, I have to say, I admire the way you stick to your guns, and
this isnt really a question of "right and wrong". It is just that there
are disadvantages to your approach that you are either unwilling or
unable to see

I am aware of them.
and advantages to getResource that you are treating in
the same way.
Nope.

You refuse to learn ant because it is "yet another thing"
but correct use of this tool will solve most of the problems you have.

Actually, there are several other reasons. Notable among them is that
nobody has yet mentioned anything remotely resembling a URL for it, and
it should be fairly obvious that a google search with the query "ant"
is unlikely to produce anything relevant here.

Furthermore, there's the question of whether it can be easily
integrated with eclipse, and if so how, without adding too much
complication or work to each testing cycle...

Twisted

Ian said:
Just right click on the project name in the Package Explorer, choose
"new" then "folder", give it a name (e.g. "resources").

Then right-click that folder choose "import", navigate to your image and
select it.

Done.

That's it? And it will be found by getResource during testing *and*
after deployment? (I assume using a relative URI like
getResource("resources/foo.gif")?

If it's that easy, how come nobody mentioned it sooner? This discussion
has been going on for three days now.

Twisted

Oliver said:
More explicitly, beans and NetBeans are not the same thing.

Well, judging by the name, NetBeans are beans *with internet added!* or
something of the sort. :) (Kind of the way half the current US patent
applications are some preexisting business model *with internet added!*
....)

Mark Thornton

Twisted said:
Actually, there are several other reasons. Notable among them is that
nobody has yet mentioned anything remotely resembling a URL for it, and
it should be fairly obvious that a google search with the query "ant"
is unlikely to produce anything relevant here.

Actually that simple query returns the required item as the very first
entry!

Twisted

Oh boy. Another big fire to put out.

Oliver said:
Maybe one of the things you do differently is consider certain posts to
be a challenge from an alpha male, which causes you to react in a certain
way, which attracts those posts you don't seem to enjoy receiving.

Maybe one of the things you do differently is to believe that there's a
dominance hierarchy here, among the posters.

Isn't there always when a bunch of primates gather in one place?
Anyway, how else to interpret being treated hostilely as a consequence
of nothing more than a) being present and b) not being submissive? All
I've "done" is not back down when challenged. (By "challenge" is meant
anything that assumes a demanding, patronizing, correcting, lecturing,
insulting, instructing, or other such tone rather than being
equal-to-equal informative, or actually submissive itself, in case you
are wondering. Basically any parent-child, teacher-student,
bully-victim, or cop-suspect type communication idiom, in which the
first of the two roles is dominant and is expecting the second to be
submissive and becomes angry and hostile if that expectation is not
fulfilled.)
Maybe one of the things you do differently is to believe that someone
asks you a question, they are not trying to help you.

When the question seems to be aimed toward an intent of trying to prove
some kind of perceived inadequacy of mine, rather than toward gathering
information in a neutral way? You betcha.
No. I'm trying to offer you an alternative perspective to help you
escape this problem of the perception that everyone's ganging up on you, or
something like that. If you don't want help (perhaps because you don't think
you have this problem), then feel free to ignore my posts.

I simply wasn't expecting to have to defend all of my design choices
and suchlike in this crowd, that's all. I ask for information about a
specific issue, not for lecturing; and being, as near as I can figure,
involuntarily signed up for some sort of informal remedial training is
downright insulting.
You may defend the logic of your choice of words all you want, but this
does not change their emotional impact. Saying you found a bug is generally
considered a bad idea, unless you're very confident that there is, in fact,
a bug involved.

Emotional impact is irrelevant. We are discussing software. Software
sometimes has bugs. If that is somehow shocking to you, then perhaps
you are in the wrong newsgroup. Emotionally-based reluctance to discuss
the facts of a situation candidly is the cause of more disasters in
engineering and in numerous other fields (e.g. medicine) than most
other human foibles *combined*.
When you are having problems with a piece of software, don't claim you have
found a bug unless you are very, very sure of your ground. Hint: unless you
can provide a source-code patch that fixes the problem, or a regression test
against a previous version that demonstrates incorrect behavior, you are
probably not sure enough.

For the things I've claimed are likely (or even just "possible") bugs,
I've noted in each case that changing JRE from 1.5 to 1.6 caused a
change in behavior. Given that new JREs are supposed to be backward
compatible, this is indeed indicative of a possible bug when it occurs.
Additionally, I haven't actually claimed to have found a bug -- only a
"possible" bug.
When asking your question, it is best to write as though you assume you are
doing something wrong, even if you are privately pretty sure you have found
an actual bug. If there really is a bug, you will hear about it in the
answer. Play it so the maintainers will want to apologize to you if the bug
is real, rather than so that you will owe them an apology if you have messed
up.

This appears to be regarding communicating with the developers of a
product, rather than with other users.
I think you may be thinking in terms of "us (or me) versus them" where
it's not appropriate. As hinted at above, when someone asks you a question,
it is usually because that information is helpful in solving your problem.

My manner of thinking is affected by the behavior I observe. Those
whose responses to me are confrontational in any way begin to be
treated as a "them" I'm "versus", because they are evidently treating
me that way. Those whose responses seem collaborative, rather than
competitive or outright combative, are not treated that way.
Sorry to be blunt but IMHO, your stories are distracting and largely
uninteresting.

You are free to ignore them if you perceive them that way.
In one example, we were discussing 64 bit and 32 bit CPUs and
OS and their compatibilities with each other, and you interrupted your
question with an explanation of how your browser had messed up because of
google mail or something like that. And your explanation was *long*. I was
sighing, wondering why I had to read all of this stuff just to actually get
to your question. I considered myself to be doing you a favor to actually
read through all that to find the question, so that I could actually answer
it, rather than just give up and abandon the thread. I'm not asking for your
gratitude or appreciation or anything like that: It was *MY* decision to
actually read through all that, so you don't owe me anything. I'm just
giving you an alternative perspective on the conversation -- one you may not
have been aware of.

That may be frustration at broken behavior of gmail leaking out. I have
yet to find anywhere to actually render feedback about such things that
actually goes anywhere but into a black hole, or anywhere to discuss it
with other users that doesn't require registration.
Yes, I think you may have misjudged a lot of the posters here.

Don't push your luck.
(I think I saw PofN post here though, and (s)he's a troll, so
ignore him/her)
PofN?

Seriously, ignore insults is very effective in getting things done.

Almost as effective as not making any, I presume?
You might want to make it more explicit that you're awaiting the
standard solution. From my reading of this thread, my impression is that you
would not accept the standard solution, even if provided with it.

That's a curious impression, since no emprical evidence for such a
claim existed -- nobody had provided it.

This seems to miss the point. It seems to be purely on the coding side
-- I could get that much by plugging ClassLoader.getResource into
Google or tracking it down in the JDK API docs. It's questions about
placing the files so they aren't mixed in with object code and keeping
the build process automatic that I had. Someone else seems to have
answered them recently; if their answer proves to work, this aspect of
the discussion can be considered concluded.
Maybe you should just not care about disapproval so much.

Why does anyone here bother to sling it liberally around? Maybe they
shouldn't -- it can't serve any useful purpose after all.
That last part was directed to "everyone else", rather than to you.

It seemed to suggest, without quite stating it outright, a belief that
I might be an "idiot", or something closely similar. As such, I can't
simply let it slide. It seemed like the kind of remark that occurs in
certain adversarial situations where the one who makes the remark and
others on their "side" then chuckle into their hands or after you
leave, and you know they did/will, but you can't quite prove that
you've actually been insulted.

Joe Attardi

They get copied over" -- how? By magic? Or are you suggesting adding
loads of new, manual steps to every build?
Can you please stop over-exaggerating the impact on a build this will
have? A copy command is not "loads of new, manual steps". You didn't
answer my question before, but I will ask it again because it is
relevant - what build tool/process are you currently using to build
your app? A Makefile? A batch file or shell script? Simply typing javac
*.java? Packaging up dependent resources are a trivial part of any
reasonable build process.
As shown on the Sun Web site, their function seems to be rapid
application development.
This is one application of them, but in my experience it is not
frequently used. One large area JavaBean components are used is in
model-view-controller frameworks like Struts. Also in the JSP arena,
Java objects have to follow the JavaBeans conventions to have their
properties accessed with the JSP expression language.

Anyway, I digress. NetBeans is a poorly named product, I'll give you
that. There is a good blog post I read once that discusses where
NetBeans got its name:
http://hoskinator.blogspot.com/2006/04/why-is-netbeans-called-netbeans.html

Let me reiterate my question from before. What ARE you using for a
build process? We can discuss the pros and cons better if we know HOW
you are building your app.

Twisted

Oliver said:
The only person who posts revenue generating Amazon links in this group
AFAIK is Roedy, and he hasn't posted in a long time, let alone in this
thread.

This was not a claim that anyone had done so recently; just a warning.
It looked like someone might be leading up to a soft sell (or even a
hard sell) and I figured to let them know not to bother wasting their
time. With my budget, they can't possibly succeed no matter how hard
they try, after all. I should also note that I've encountered this
behavior in other technically-oriented newsgroups -- most have at least
one person who looks at every n00b question as an opportunity to peddle
books on which they get a commission of some sort. Anyone whose first
resort answer isn't their own advice in their own words, or a
freely-accessible Web page, is automatically a suspect -- the ones with
ulterior (financial) motives invariably jump directly to a book, or
occasionally a Web site behind a registerwall, sometimes after "leading
up to it" first.
However note that no one in this thread, AFAIK, has suggested that not
being afford something means anything at all. I think the majority of us
uses free tools (namely Eclipse, NetBeans, Java itself, etc.).

Again, that was a pre-emptive strike. There's at least one lurking in
this crowd -- I just know it. Either a general anti-free-anything
axe-grinder or specifically someone hoping to sell something. You
mentioned a name -- Roedy. No doubt just itching to pop up again with
another questionable recommendation that just happens to earn him a
commission if it's followed. :)
Make it more explicit. If you want information, ask a question. For
example, rather than saying "I still haven't gotten a link to Ant.", post
"Where can I download Ant?".

I just find it interesting that half the people in this thread would
mention and recommend something heavily and not once have it occur to
them that until someone can use something, they first have to find it?
:)
http://ant.apache.org/
Thanks.

There are many ways to do this. Try this (off the top of my head, if it
doesn't actually work, let me know and I'll investigate further): create a
package called "resource". Put a class "ResourceManager" in that package,
which does all the calls to getResource. Put all your resources in that
resource package, perhaps under some directory hierarchy. Make all the
getResource URLs relative to that ResourceManager class.

Eh. That sounds like I'd have to dig up by object code directory and
start putting resource files there, which I'd argue really belong with
the source files (if perhaps get copied there).

[Further stuff snipped -- thanks]

Twisted

Daniel said:
Also notice, you have now spent more energy defending your approach
than you would have taken to learn the new approach.

Yes, no thanks to having been *put* on the defensive. Within a few
posts of the start of this thread, somebody opened their big fat mouth
and forced me to either defend my decisions or cop to some sort of
(perceived) misdemeanor! In public! Yeah, right, like I'd be dumb
enough to do that in a medium that's known to eat alive anyone who
shows the slightest sign of weakness or submission...
Well, I hope I never have to work on the same codebase as you. Its
never fun to work with a stubborn programmer...

Actually, my stubbornness emerges only when people challenge the way I
do something. It then becomes necessary to defend my choice or appear
to admit to some sort of wrongdoing. This seems to arise in either of
two ways: 1. some jerk's main source of ego gratification is to put
down others, often by going out of their way to catch (or even
deliberately entrap) them in some sort of situation where they can then
be accused of doing something wrong and cannot easily extricate
themselves or avoid ending up with some appearance of guilt, or 2.
someone with an honestly helpful intention makes the unfortunate choice
of being a patronizing arsehole and offering such helpful and
morale-boosting advice as "Whoa! Stop! You're doing it wrong! Here, you
do *this* and *this* and <list of advantages of their method>". The
advantages of their method may be genuine, but equally numerous are the
disadvantages of their approach to communicating it. It's
confrontational, and that's just for starters...
You're expierence is "I found it on google, so it must be right."

Actually, my experience is "it worked, so it can't be wrong, though it
might not be right for ALL situations". Also, my experience is "I found
it on google, and it worked, so I'm mystified at being faulted for
actually making an apparently-successful effort to solve the problem
myself instead of waiting for someone else to tell me what to do"...

Thomas Kellerer

Joe Attardi wrote on 22.11.2006 21:52:
Anyway, I digress. NetBeans is a poorly named product, I'll give you
that. There is a good blog post I read once that discusses where
NetBeans got its name:
http://hoskinator.blogspot.com/2006/04/why-is-netbeans-called-netbeans.html

Let me reiterate my question from before. What ARE you using for a
build process? We can discuss the pros and cons better if we know HOW
you are building your app.

Give up, Joe
Even if he did, he wouldn't accept your tips.

Twisted prefers to speculate over the functionality of a tools just by
interpreting the name even if told otherwise. He is not interested in accepting
any other solution than his, regardless of the fact that the whole Java
community is happy applying all the tips given in this thread.

He already mentioned he is using Eclipse and I wonder why he is using a tool
that shades the sunlight, and not a tool for Java development - at least that
should be his interpretation of the tool's name.
Other people in this thread have already described on how to configure Eclipse
to do exactly what he needs, but he refuses to accept that.

He uses the limits of ancient CLASSPATH settings (which probably nobody somewhat
knowledgable in Java has used for ages) as an excuse for the complicated setup.

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
You
mentioned a name -- Roedy. No doubt just itching to pop up again with
another questionable recommendation that just happens to earn him a
commission if it's followed. :)

Roedy's Amazon links were a bit controversial. Roedy himself is (was?
Haven't seen him around for a while now) an extremely helpful poster on this
newsgroup, spending lots of time and effort helping out people with their
Java programs. Most of the time, he'd do so without mentioning buying a book
at all.

If you go to his website (http://mindprod.com/index.html) you'll
probably stumble onto a revenue-generating link to Amazon. He has lots of
them there. His website is also a collection of FAQs on Java and their
answers.

One day, someone criticized Roedy because of the Amazon links on his
site, and there was a medium sized argument around that. My personal
conclusion is that Roedy isn't hurting anybody with these links. He's not,
for example, withholding information, hoping you'll buy the books. It's just
if you're going to buy the books *anyway*, might as well buy it via those
links and to give a small percentage of the profits to Roedy.

[...]
Eh. That sounds like I'd have to dig up by object code directory and
start putting resource files there, which I'd argue really belong with
the source files (if perhaps get copied there).

Did you say you were using Eclipse? Eclipse will copy over the resources
automatically by default. Other IDEs probably support this too, but I don't
know if it's their default settings or not.

- Oliver

Joe Attardi

He already mentioned he is using Eclipse and I wonder why he is using a tool
that shades the sunlight, and not a tool for Java development - at least that
should be his interpretation of the tool's name.
HAHA! Thomas, I was going to make that exact same remark but forgot to
add it to my last reply. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the
silliness.

I wonder how Twisted (a very fitting name) would react when reading a
design patterns book or something similar.

"Model-view-controller?? My single jsp does all the database access and
display of the results. Why would I add more complicated logic to my
build process? I will not back down even though this book is
challenging me!!"

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
Oh boy. Another big fire to put out.

Isn't there always when a bunch of primates gather in one place?

No.
Anyway, how else to interpret being treated hostilely as a consequence
of nothing more than a) being present and b) not being submissive?

As I've pointed out earlier, other people have posted here, being
"present", and not being submissive, and they don't get the responses you
seem to trigger. Yet you consistently seemed to be getting these responses.
Personally, I would conclude you must be doing something different.

All
I've "done" is not back down when challenged. (By "challenge" is meant
anything that assumes a demanding, patronizing, correcting, lecturing,
insulting, instructing, or other such tone rather than being
equal-to-equal informative, or actually submissive itself, in case you
are wondering. Basically any parent-child, teacher-student,
bully-victim, or cop-suspect type communication idiom, in which the
first of the two roles is dominant and is expecting the second to be
submissive and becomes angry and hostile if that expectation is not
fulfilled.)

You seem to be missing the point I'm trying to make. You seem to be
defending your actions to me. I'm not challenging them, or deriding, or
anything like that. I didn't say what you did was wrong. I'm saying that
your actions have likely triggered the response you got. If this is the type
of responses you wanted, then great: you're getting what you want. If this
isn't the type of response you want, then you'll probably need to change
your actions. It has nothing to do with right or wrong, only with cause and
effect.

When the question seems to be aimed toward an intent of trying to prove
some kind of perceived inadequacy of mine, rather than toward gathering
information in a neutral way? You betcha.

Okay, so maybe if you STOP doing this, you wouldn't get the undesirable
trees, but not seeing the forest? Something like that? You might be too
caught up with this discussion to realize what's going on, so take a step
back, and look at the discussion from a distance:

I'm telling you "Stop perceiving things as being personal attacks."
You're responding "But they *ARE* personal attacks!"

Can you see the circularity of this?
I simply wasn't expecting to have to defend all of my design choices
and suchlike in this crowd, that's all.

So just don't defend them. You posted your solution. Someone posts
"Here's a better way to do it." You read it, say "Ok" (either to yourself,
or make an actual post saying just that), and then go on, living your life.
If you reply "Well, no, my idea is better because...", then expect to get
more replies saying "Actually, no, *MY* idea is better because..." and so
on.
I ask for information about a
specific issue, not for lecturing;

You can't control what other people post on Usenet. All you can do is
ask a question. If someone gives you the answer you want, then great. If
not, then hey, you're no worst off than before, right?
and being, as near as I can figure,
involuntarily signed up for some sort of informal remedial training is
downright insulting.

Are you referring to my posts as an informal remedial training? More
specifically, are you getting insulted by my posts? If so, let me know, and
I'll stop replying to you in this thread.
Emotional impact is irrelevant. We are discussing software. Software
sometimes has bugs. If that is somehow shocking to you, then perhaps
you are in the wrong newsgroup. Emotionally-based reluctance to discuss
the facts of a situation candidly is the cause of more disasters in
engineering and in numerous other fields (e.g. medicine) than most
other human foibles *combined*.

Again, you arguing with me using logic. I'm telling you that no matter
how logical your arguments are, that does NOT change the emotional impact of
your choice of words. You're surprised by the reactions you're getting on
this newsgroup, right? I'm trying to explain to you why you got the
reactions you got so that you won't be so surprised in the future.

You can tell me emotional impact is irrelevant, but obviously, this does
not agree with the empirical evidence of the direction that this thread is
taking. You can tell me that emotionally-based discussions are "bad", and
being autistic, I will completely agree with you. It annoys me to no end
with emotions overcome logic, and nonsensical behaviour is exhibited,
whether in real-life or on usenet. You and I are in agreement in that
respect. The difference is that I acknowledge that the rest of the world
isn't like you and me. They have emotions, and their emotions affect their
behaviour. I'm trying to share this revelation with you, so that you will
understand why, although we'd both rather it not be the case, sometimes you
*DO* have to factor in emotions to explain human behaviour.

You're surprised that you had to be on the defensive, right? I'm not. Do
you want to know why? Then listen to my advise. Don't dismiss it out of
hand, because of some perception that I'm with "them" and therefore
"against" you. You don't have to agree with my advise, just listen to it.
Really think about it.
For the things I've claimed are likely (or even just "possible") bugs,
I've noted in each case that changing JRE from 1.5 to 1.6 caused a
change in behavior. Given that new JREs are supposed to be backward
compatible, this is indeed indicative of a possible bug when it occurs.
Additionally, I haven't actually claimed to have found a bug -- only a
"possible" bug.

I don't have much to add. I just want to point out that it's not
unlikely that you may have found a bug. Once again, I'm have no disagreement
with this. 1.6 is in beta, and so it probably has bugs. If I were King of
Usenet, I'd say everyone is allowed to claim that they found bugs if they
wanted to, and no one is allowed ot hold that against them.

But I'm not King of Usenet. I can't control how people react to your
post. But I can observe it, and share my observations with you. My
observations is that people don't react well when you claim you've found a
bug. You can argue that this is completely irrational, and you may be right.
However, this does not change the fact that people do not react well when
you claim you've found a bug. Want to know how to avoid triggering this
irrational backlash? Simple: Don't claim you've found a bug.
This appears to be regarding communicating with the developers of a
product, rather than with other users.

Abstract the details, and the advice applies to this usenet group as
well, IMHO.
My manner of thinking is affected by the behavior I observe. Those
whose responses to me are confrontational in any way begin to be
treated as a "them" I'm "versus", because they are evidently treating
me that way. Those whose responses seem collaborative, rather than
competitive or outright combative, are not treated that way.

So do you think I'm "against" you, or "with" you? Either way, you'd be
wrong. I'm neutral. I'm providing what I consider to be good advice to you,
just like I try to provide what I consider to be good advice to everyone
else who posts on comp.lang.java.programmer and for which I believe I
actually know the solution. And I don't particularly care whether you accept
that advice or not, just like I don't particularly care whether anyone else
in this newsgroup accepts the advice I give them or not.
You are free to ignore them if you perceive them that way.

Thank you.
That may be frustration at broken behavior of gmail leaking out. I have
yet to find anywhere to actually render feedback about such things that
actually goes anywhere but into a black hole, or anywhere to discuss it
with other users that doesn't require registration.

Tried e-mailing google?
Don't push your luck.

PofN?

That's the username they post under.
Almost as effective as not making any, I presume?

Well, if your goal is to insult someone, then probably not making
insults is not very effective in doing that. There's a lesson in Zen
Buddhism posed in the form of a question:

The teacher tells the story of an old man who walks down a road with
lots of small sharp pebbles, and as he steps on these pebbles, they cut his
feet and cause him pain. The old man has some sheets of leather, and if he
places this leather between his food and the rock, the rocks aren't able to
penetrate the leather, and thus cannot cut his feet. Unfortunately, the old
man does not have enough leather to cover the entire road. What should he
do?

The student is supposed to respond that he could wrap his feet in the
leather, thus making shoes. And this is supposed to teach the student that
it is far easier to change yourself, than to change the world around you.

People are insulting you, and you don't like it. You could try to
convince everybody to stop insulting you, or you could just ignore the
insults. Both solutions work, but one requires much more time, energy and
effort than the other.
That's a curious impression, since no emprical evidence for such a
claim existed -- nobody had provided it.

I can explain to you how I arrived at that impression: You are
criticizing the "standard" solution, citing your solution as being superior.
Therefore, I think it's reasonable to conclude that given the option to
choose between either solution, you'd probably choose your own.
This seems to miss the point. It seems to be purely on the coding side
-- I could get that much by plugging ClassLoader.getResource into
Google or tracking it down in the JDK API docs. It's questions about
placing the files so they aren't mixed in with object code and keeping
the build process automatic that I had. Someone else seems to have
answered them recently; if their answer proves to work, this aspect of
the discussion can be considered concluded.

Why does anyone here bother to sling it liberally around?

If you really want to know why, first I advise you to read some of the
other posts, and see if you agree with me that most of the time, people
don't sling disapproval around so much. It seems to happen mostly to your
posts. If you agree with me on that, then consider that you maybe you're
doing something different compared to all the other posters. Then, try to
identify what that is, and see if it's something you're willing to change.
Maybe they
shouldn't -- it can't serve any useful purpose after all.

You're right. They shouldn't, and it probably does not serve any useful
purpose.

But does that mean they'll stop? Probably not. So once again, I'm
suggesting that it's far easier to just shrug off the disapproval than to
try and convince everybody who's disapproving to stop doing it.

It seemed to suggest, without quite stating it outright, a belief that
I might be an "idiot", or something closely similar. As such, I can't
simply let it slide. It seemed like the kind of remark that occurs in
certain adversarial situations where the one who makes the remark and
others on their "side" then chuckle into their hands or after you
leave, and you know they did/will, but you can't quite prove that
you've actually been insulted.

Well, that wasn't the intent.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Twisted said:
That's it? And it will be found by getResource during testing *and*
after deployment? (I assume using a relative URI like
getResource("resources/foo.gif")?

Why don't you try it and see?
If it's that easy, how come nobody mentioned it sooner? This discussion
has been going on for three days now.

Each person has their own reason. I just read the Joe Attardi branch of
the thread, so his reason is fresh in my mind: Because he kept asking you
what build process you used, and you haven't told him that you're using
Eclipse.

This is part of what I was talking about when I said just assume that
when someone asks you a question, it's 'cause they're trying to help you,
but don't have enough info to do so.

- Oliver

Bent C Dalager

Actually, my stubbornness emerges only when people challenge the way I
do something. It then becomes necessary to defend my choice or appear
to admit to some sort of wrongdoing.

All programmers do _something_ the wrong way. Some programmers are
incapable of realizing this. They are the ones to avoid having to work
with.

Cheers
Bent D

wesley.hall

nobody has yet mentioned anything remotely resembling a URL for it, and
it should be fairly obvious that a google search with the query "ant"
is unlikely to produce anything relevant here.

Clearly you didn't even try. As someone has already pointed out, a
google search for 'ant' will present the project page as the first
link. This should be proof enough of the popularity of the tool.
Furthermore, there's the question of whether it can be easily
integrated with eclipse, and if so how, without adding too much
complication or work to each testing cycle...

Yes, it integrates easily with eclipse and any other serious IDE. It is
a tool for scripting your build process so, while there is a slight
overhead in writing the script (and it shouldnt be more than an hour or
two, infact, probably far less time than you have already spent arguing
the toss on this newgroup), once the script is written it will
significantly improve your build and testing cycle as you can use it to
automate your build, run your tests, generate your documentation,
create a Java webstart archive for your software, deploy it to an app
server (although this seems not to be required for your software) etc
etc. You will also be able to set up an use a continous integration
server that will periodically check out your code (assuming you are
running a version control system like CVS and subversion... and if not,
you should be) and run the build and tests, emailing you if there are
any failures so you find out about integration errors quickly an
efficiently. Every serious project (open source or otherwise) uses
either ant or maven (I prefer the former, YMMV) for build automatation,
this includes the Sun sponsered 'glassfish' application server.

I can assure you that if you take on contract work, or work on any
serious established product, you WILL come across this tool eventually.
You seem to be underestimating how ubiquitous it actually is.

To be honest, given the arrogant tone of your first two reply sections,
and your requirement that others do all the legwork for you (down to
actually doing the google search!) I am not even sure why I am even
bothering to reply. In any case, I am done with this thread, you will
either take the good advice provided here and move forward, or continue
in your (false) belief that you are the smartest and most experience
Java developer around. Your choice will be for your benefit (or
detriment), not mine. Personally, I am quite happy that you continue
ignoring the best practices of the Java development community, it will
be one less senior level developer that I will need to compete with for
work.

Patricia Shanahan

Clearly you didn't even try. As someone has already pointed out, a
google search for 'ant' will present the project page as the first
link. This should be proof enough of the popularity of the tool.

As a general tip, when I'm doing anything related to a programming
language, I try the name of the language followed by query-specific
search terms.

java ant -> http://ant.apache.org/

java load icon ->
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/icon.html

A tutorial that mentioned key ideas like getResource. Of course, I would
read the API documentation before actually using it.

Patricia

Twisted

Joe said:
Can you please stop over-exaggerating the impact on a build this will
have? A copy command is not "loads of new, manual steps".

Given that the number of manual steps for test/debug/edit right now is
zero, I'd count every single additional keystroke or mouse gesture. So
we have "click start", "click programs", "click accessories", "click
command prompt", type "c", type "d", type space, type "C", type ":",
.... , type "c", "o", "p", "y", and space, then ...

I'm sure you get the picture by now.

Well, I suppose I could open additional Explorer windows and leave them
open. Still several clicks and a right-drag. Or write a batch file,
which will require at least one double-click to execute each time...
You didn't
answer my question before, but I will ask it again because it is
relevant - what build tool/process are you currently using to build
your app? A Makefile? A batch file or shell script? Simply typing javac
*.java? Packaging up dependent resources are a trivial part of any
reasonable build process.

So far I've been letting Eclipse incrementally rebuild it as I edit and
deferring any worrying about packaging a standalone file. Until I
decided that the one thing I could *not* do with the icon was stick it
in C:\some fixed location and expect that not to break come the day. :)
This is one application of them, but in my experience it is not
frequently used. One large area JavaBean components are used is in
model-view-controller frameworks like Struts. Also in the JSP arena,
Java objects have to follow the JavaBeans conventions to have their
properties accessed with the JSP expression language.

So, objects that are highly mobile, basically, as well as RAD uses.
Regardless, they seem like an added complication and learning workload
that should not be needed here. Learning the ins and outs of beans,
struts, and what-have-you just to get one lousy icon working is like
going after a fly with a bazooka. No, in this particular case, it's
like taking four years of basic training and boot camp and such so as
to earn your bazooka license, reading the bazooka manual back to front,
taking practise shots at North Korea or terrorists or someone, and
*then* going after a fly with the darned thing...
Let me reiterate my question from before. What ARE you using for a
build process? We can discuss the pros and cons better if we know HOW
you are building your app.

See above. Since it's actually even easier than point and click, it
will take a heck of a lot of "pros" to balance the "con" of adding so
much as a few keystrokes (and opportunities to forget something or make
mistakes)...

Twisted

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
[snip]

Most of this is simply nonsense, but this ...
Other people in this thread have already described on how to configure Eclipse
to do exactly what he needs, but he refuses to accept that.

This isn't, but it is patently false, and so it needs responding to.

The "describing of how to configure Eclipse to do exactly what I need"
was by Ian Somebody less than 24 hours ago, and I intend to investigate
and possibly implement his suggestion, since it seems to be simple and
in the spirit of the kind of ease of use I was looking for. The
previous "describing of how to configure Eclipse to do" something was
describing how to configure it to build a jar file for distribution,
which would be premature at this time. I have also not ignored that
information; the time to use it simply isn't now.

I might also note that for most of the time this thread has been going
on I've been away from the development environment and without Eclipse
etc. in front of me. So I've not had occasion yet to try anything in
it, put search queries to its docs, or otherwise do anything suggested
here anyway.

Twisted

Oliver said:
Roedy's Amazon links were a bit controversial. Roedy himself is (was?
Haven't seen him around for a while now) an extremely helpful poster on this
newsgroup, spending lots of time and effort helping out people with their
Java programs. Most of the time, he'd do so without mentioning buying a book
at all.

Naturally. If he posted nothing but Amazon links he'd land in
everyone's plonk file in less than a day, and end up making zero
dollars and zeroty zero cents.

In fact, it sounds like he did more than the bare minimum needed to
avoid that fate, so I'll wager he isn't 100% selfishly in it for the
money, but obviously he isn't 0% either.
One day, someone criticized Roedy because of the Amazon links on his
site, and there was a medium sized argument around that. My personal
conclusion is that Roedy isn't hurting anybody with these links. He's not,
for example, withholding information, hoping you'll buy the books.

That is definitely a strong point. If he only gave out teasing or
partial information followed by book links, the case for purely
ulterior motives would be strong, however. (I've seen this behavior in
other newsgroups. One was comp.text.tex, in case anyone's curious.)
Did you say you were using Eclipse? Eclipse will copy over the resources
automatically by default. Other IDEs probably support this too, but I don't
know if it's their default settings or not.

Yes, someone finally said that earlier today, although I presume they
need to be put in the right place and Eclipse needs to be told they're
part of the project. As long as that only needs to be done the once
("set it and forget it") then I have no further objections there. In
fact, what I had were more in the line of questions (can it be done
that easily, or not?) than objections anyway, though some didn't choose
to interpret them purely as questions. The same that may also have
misinterpreted my defense of the method I ended up using (at least for
now) as an objection to the other, in the mistaken belief that somehow
I considered the two to be mutually exclusive, and believed that either
the way I'd used was right and the other wrong, or vice versa, without
any other possibilities. That was never actually the case. Of course,
another factor now weighing in the method I used's favor for this
specific case is that it's already set up and working that way --
changing it might be fairly simple (might even be simpler than getting
it to work in the first place) but is not as simple as leaving it
alone. If (or when) I have more resources, especially if there's a lot
or they need to be localizable, then I will probably change it so that
all the resources are handled in the same way, the way you guys have
recommended. (Disclaimer: that is in no circumstance to be construed as
any kind of admission, whether of guilt, wrongdoing, or anything else;
it is merely a case of being willing to flexibly respond to changes in
the needs of the project, and changes in what is optimal. There's a lot
of stuff that's been changed or even completely rewritten in its
evolution already, none of which meant that what had gone before was
wrong or a waste of time or anything, just that it became obsolete with
time. Some of it was expected to.)

Twisted

Joe said:
"Model-view-controller?? My single jsp does all the database access and
display of the results. Why would I add more complicated logic to my
build process? I will not back down even though this book is
challenging me!!"

It is rude to post disingenuous caricatures of a person to a public
newsgroup. Don't do it again.

Perhaps a more accurate version of that would be if I had a simple jsp
to do a simple, small job and considered deploying a full MVC pattern
to be massive overkill for it, while reserving the right to implement
such a thing if the project grew bigger and more complex so it began to
be worth it to do so.

I don't suppose you'd make a quick and dirty routine to automate a bit
of repetitive math that came up in some research you were doing by
writing a fully-general computer algebra system and then programming it
into that as a special case, would you? Or even by writing a lengthy
Java app with several class files and full object orientation. I'd
probably dredge up the interpreter, wherever it's hidden in the current
generation of computers, and type in a few lines of BASIC for that sort
of thing. And, of course, write something more general in something
less lame or find and download an off-the-shelf CAS if I started to
need too much more from it.