    Sarah

    PS: The class library implements a hardware compiler/partial evaluator as an
    embedded language within C++.

    Sarah Thompson, Apr 23, 2004

  2. "Sarah Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:c6bn5r$9il$...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am currently writing an academic paper that talks about a pure ISO C++
    > class library that depends, at least in part, on template metaprogramming
    > techniques. I would like to reference the orignal source of the idea, but
    > as I picked it up from secondary sources myself, I'm not sure what the

    true
    > source of the idea was.

    'C++ Templates' by Vendevoorde and Josuttis say the first documented
    template metaprogram was by Erwin Unruh. His program produces the prime
    number sequence in its error messages, which is pretty neat. They quote the
    source of the program.

    For serious work and popularising the concept they credit Todd Veldhuizen in
    a paper titled 'Using C++ Template Metaprograms' which I haven't read.

    John

    John Harrison, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Sarah Thompson

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am currently writing an academic paper that talks about a pure ISO C++
    > class library that depends, at least in part, on template metaprogramming
    > techniques. I would like to reference the orignal source of the idea, but
    > as I picked it up from secondary sources myself, I'm not sure what the

    true
    > source of the idea was.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Section 17.1 of "C++ Templates: The Complete Guide" by Vandevoorde and
    Josuttis (Addison-Wesley):

    "In 1994 during a meeting of the C++ standardization committee, Erwin Unruh
    discovered that templates can be used to compute something at compile time.
    He wrote a program that produced prime numbers."

    A Google search for "Erwin Unruh" came up with his website:
    http://www.erwin-unruh.de/
    http://www.erwin-unruh.de/meta.html

    Regards,
    Sumit.