Glade on Windows using Python

mbg1708

Using Windows 8.1 Update.
I've loaded ActiveState python (version 2.7) --- installed OK.
I don't need Glade, but I do want to use some Glade XML and run the python application.
To run a Glade application this needs:

from gi.repository import Gtk

gi.repository is not available to import.

Where can I find gi.repository?....all searches to date have come up empty!

Mary

mbg1708

Using Windows 8.1 Update.

I've loaded ActiveState python (version 2.7) --- installed OK.

I don't need Glade, but I do want to use some Glade XML and run the python application.

To run a Glade application this needs:

from gi.repository import Gtk

gi.repository is not available to import.

Where can I find gi.repository?....all searches to date have come up empty!

Mary

So...it turns out that Glade support for Python 2.7 is pretty difficult.
I ended up rewriting the whole thing using Tkinter and ttk.Treeview.
It would have been good to reuse the Glade XML...less code, better looking, etc. etc.

Ah well.

Mary

Michael Torrie

So...it turns out that Glade support for Python 2.7 is pretty difficult.
I ended up rewriting the whole thing using Tkinter and ttk.Treeview.
It would have been good to reuse the Glade XML...less code, better looking, etc. etc.

Both Gtk2 and Gtk3 are available for Windows. Glade XML is typically
used on Gtk2 by the GtkBuilder class
(http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-gtkbuilder.html). Gtk3 uses
http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/builder.html.
The code you had in your OP was for Gtk3.

There are up-to-date packages of Gtk3 bindings for Python on Windows here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/files/

I didn't see your original post a couple of weeks ago, which is too bad.

I'm not sure Gtk is better-looking on Windows. It's always been the
ugly step-child there compared to Linux.

Tkinter has a Windows native look and feel, so there's no reason to not
use Tkinter if it suits your project:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html