    Is there something in particular in my code I can look for to correct this?

    Thanks,

    Adam
    The Weiss Family, Jul 3, 2004

  2. The Weiss Family wrote:

    > When I simulate the post place and route model, I get a bunch of warnings
    > indicating that the pulse width on a bunch of signals is less than some
    > expected value. I'm assuming this means that the signals are "glitching".
    > What causes this?
    > Is there something in particular in my code I can look for to correct this?

    Look at the warnings. You will read a name of the device, that produces
    the glitches (e.g. a flipflop) and the name of the device itself or at
    least the names of the wires. Search for these names in you netlist
    (synthesis output). Try to find out, what part of your design is meant.
    (Every flipflop, latch or block of combinational logic is a "part".
    Often a "part" is, what you have described in one process.)

    The most important warnings a things like "setup time violation ... A
    with respect to C" (data-in of a flipflop changes short before clock has
    an edge). Here you have to modify your design, to make this not happen.

    Sometimes a simulator may be configured to produce warnings for every
    glitch - even in pure combination logic. Often this is useless, as
    glitches in combinational logic are quite usual. Ask your "CAD-support"
    how to turn off these warnings.

    Ralf
    Ralf Hildebrandt, Jul 3, 2004

  3. The Weiss Family wrote:

    > When I simulate the post place and route model, I get a bunch of warnings
    > indicating that the pulse width on a bunch of signals is less than some
    > expected value. I'm assuming this means that the signals are "glitching".
    > What causes this?

    Asynchronous logic.

    > Is there something in particular in my code I can look for to correct
    > this?

    Consider using the synchronous template
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vhdl synchronous template
    for all vhdl processes.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Jul 3, 2004
  4. All,

    Thanks for the input. I actually figured it out in the shower this morning
    (where I do my best thinking). You were right. It was due to asynchronous
    logic. I will just synchronize my design, and my problems should go away!

    I'm slowly beginning to think like an FPGA designer!

    Thanks again,

    Adam
    The Weiss Family, Jul 4, 2004