    I'm using perl, v5.8.1-RC3 on MAC OSX.

    Thanks,

    E.

    Emanuele Matli, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Emanuele Matli

    Jim Keenan Guest

    Emanuele Matli wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem using glob on my cgi perl program.
    > If I try to call glob twice the program crashes giving one of this errors:
    >
    > *** malloc[2302]: error for object 0xbffffe20: Pointer being reallocated
    > was not allocated
    > Out of memory!
    >
    > *** malloc[2396]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x65726c00;
    > This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
    > allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
    > tools to help debug
    > Segmentation fault

    Are you sure that these are Perl errors?

    I grepped the Perl documentation for 'malloc'
    (http://search.cpan.org/grep?release=perl-5.8.6&string=malloc&i=1&n=1)
    and couldn't locate any such phrases as "error for object" or
    "Deallocation of a pointer".

    Could you please present the Perl code which is causing the problems?
    We would then have a better chance at diagnosing them. Thanks.

    jimk

    Jim Keenan, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Emanuele Matli

    Guest

    Jim Keenan <> wrote:
    > Emanuele Matli wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a problem using glob on my cgi perl program.
    > > If I try to call glob twice the program crashes giving one of this
    > > errors:
    > >
    > > *** malloc[2302]: error for object 0xbffffe20: Pointer being
    > > reallocated was not allocated
    > > Out of memory!
    > >
    > > *** malloc[2396]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x65726c00;
    > > This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
    > > allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
    > > tools to help debug
    > > Segmentation fault

    > Are you sure that these are Perl errors?

    No, they would be perl errors, not Perl errors. That is, errors from
    the implementation of perl (which is implemented in the C language, and
    thus gives C errors, not Perl errors).

    > Could you please present the Perl code which is causing the problems?
    > We would then have a better chance at diagnosing them. Thanks.

    And version information, too.

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Feb 24, 2005
  4. Emanuele Matli

    Jim Keenan Guest

    wrote:
    > Jim Keenan <> wrote:
    >

    >>Are you sure that these are Perl errors?

    > No, they would be perl errors, not Perl errors. That is, errors from
    > the implementation of perl (which is implemented in the C language, and
    > thus gives C errors, not Perl errors).

    That was my hunch when I saw the "*** malloc[2396]", but since I don't
    know enough C to competently answer questions about it, I spoke cautiously.

    In any case, in response to another question by the OP, Sherm Pendley
    noted that the OP needs to install X Code. Which makes sense to me,
    'cause I know that when I first went to use Perl after I had gotten my
    iBook, I was in a panic until I learned (from Randal, dha and others)
    about installing those development tools.

    jimk

    Jim Keenan, Feb 24, 2005