glob

Emanuele Matli

Hi,

I have a problem using glob on my cgi perl program.
If I try to call glob twice the program crashes giving one of this errors:

*** malloc[2302]: error for object 0xbffffe20: Pointer being reallocated
was not allocated
Out of memory!

*** malloc[2396]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x65726c00;
This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
tools to help debug
Segmentation fault

I'm using perl, v5.8.1-RC3 on MAC OSX.

Thanks,

E.

Jim Keenan

Emanuele said:
Hi,

I have a problem using glob on my cgi perl program.
If I try to call glob twice the program crashes giving one of this errors:

*** malloc[2302]: error for object 0xbffffe20: Pointer being reallocated
was not allocated
Out of memory!

*** malloc[2396]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x65726c00;
This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
tools to help debug
Segmentation fault

Are you sure that these are Perl errors?

I grepped the Perl documentation for 'malloc'
(http://search.cpan.org/grep?release=perl-5.8.6&string=malloc&i=1&n=1)
and couldn't locate any such phrases as "error for object" or
"Deallocation of a pointer".

Could you please present the Perl code which is causing the problems?
We would then have a better chance at diagnosing them. Thanks.

jimk

xhoster

Jim Keenan said:
Emanuele said:
Hi,

I have a problem using glob on my cgi perl program.
If I try to call glob twice the program crashes giving one of this
errors:

*** malloc[2302]: error for object 0xbffffe20: Pointer being
reallocated was not allocated
Out of memory!

*** malloc[2396]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x65726c00;
This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an
allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see
tools to help debug
Segmentation fault

Are you sure that these are Perl errors?

No, they would be perl errors, not Perl errors. That is, errors from
the implementation of perl (which is implemented in the C language, and
thus gives C errors, not Perl errors).
Could you please present the Perl code which is causing the problems?
We would then have a better chance at diagnosing them. Thanks.

And version information, too.

Xho

Jim Keenan

No, they would be perl errors, not Perl errors. That is, errors from
the implementation of perl (which is implemented in the C language, and
thus gives C errors, not Perl errors).
That was my hunch when I saw the "*** malloc[2396]", but since I don't
know enough C to competently answer questions about it, I spoke cautiously.

In any case, in response to another question by the OP, Sherm Pendley
noted that the OP needs to install X Code. Which makes sense to me,
'cause I know that when I first went to use Perl after I had gotten my
iBook, I was in a panic until I learned (from Randal, dha and others)
about installing those development tools.

jimk