Global Address List from ASP.NET web application?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by bajaguide@yahoo.com, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am writing an intranet web application that involves the end user
    having to select multiple people from the total list of AD users at
    our company. Ideally I would like to let the user click on a button
    "Address Book" and have the same type of interface that comes up when
    you perform that function in SharePoint. (A nice interface comes up
    with type down, ability to search, select multiple entries etc).

    The requiremets are:

    The user needs to be able to select from a drop down list of all the
    people in the company.
    The list needs to load within a reasonable period of time (no more
    than a couple of seconds).

    Ideally the interface would also have "type down" and the ability to
    do a find.

    Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to do this in an
    ASP.NET 2.0 web app?

    I know I can use the client side SharePoint API in MSSVABW.dll, but I
    can't get this to work with clients running Office 2007.

    Ideally I would like to purchase a componant already written. I can't
    believe there isn't already a control or ActiveX component out there
    to access the GAL or *quickly* access Active Directory with a good
    GUI...

    If we can't purchase something, what is my best programmatic option?

    Thanks in advance.

    Steph.

    , Mar 12, 2007

  2. On Mar 12, 11:31 pm, wrote:
    > I am writing an intranet web application that involves the end user
    > having to select multiple people from the total list of AD users at
    > our company. Ideally I would like to let the user click on a button
    > "Address Book" and have the same type of interface that comes up when
    > you perform that function in SharePoint. (A nice interface comes up
    > with type down, ability to search, select multiple entries etc).
    >
    > The requiremets are:
    >
    > The user needs to be able to select from a drop down list of all the
    > people in the company.
    > The list needs to load within a reasonable period of time (no more
    > than a couple of seconds).
    >
    > Ideally the interface would also have "type down" and the ability to
    > do a find.
    >
    > Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to do this in an
    > ASP.NET 2.0 web app?
    >
    > I know I can use the client side SharePoint API in MSSVABW.dll, but I
    > can't get this to work with clients running Office 2007.
    >
    > Ideally I would like to purchase a componant already written. I can't
    > believe there isn't already a control or ActiveX component out there
    > to access the GAL or *quickly* access Active Directory with a good
    > GUI...
    >
    > If we can't purchase something, what is my best programmatic option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Steph.

    SharePoint does that search using an import from AD to the own
    database. You can use the same behavior (a regular import all the
    users and using own database to search), or you can consider using AD
    on-the-fly (see link below)

    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/060525.htm

    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/060525.htm

    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 13, 2007