global.asa - code outside Subs

Guest

In global.asa I have some code outside all the Subs.

I have some confirmation that it is being executed OnStart.
Yet I can's see if it is executed OnEnd.

The literature I have says that OnEnd the Sub Application_OnEnd is executed,
but is does not say that anything else is executed

Actually I even can't understand if global.asa is permited to have any code
outside the Subs

Could someone comment on this?

Curt_C [MVP]

first off, the Application_OnEnd is not reliable....and should not be
counted on.
Beyond that, could you give a specific example of what you are trying to do?

Foo Man Chew

In global.asa I have some code outside all the Subs.

Could you be more specific? What "code" is "outside all the subs"? Could
you show your global.asa? How do you expect it to be executed? How can you
tell it's being executed OnStart (on start of WHAT) and not OnEnd (again, on
end of WHAT)?

Guest

Thank you for asking questions

In global.asa outside all the Subs, I define and initiate a variable to
hold a path to a file to which I write something on Application_OnEnd and
read from on Application_OnStart. I use MapPath and do it outside Subs
because MapPath for some reason does not work well inside Application
On_End.

My question is: what is the lifetime of that variable? Does it get lost as
soon the global.asa is executed? Or it is stored somewhere?

From my 2 year experience with nt4/iis it seems that it is either stored
like an Application scope variable or (more likely) this out-of-subs code
gets executed OnEnd as well. This is proven that file in question has been
consistently found and records were read from it OnStart and added to it
OnEnd.

The reason I am asking this question is that I moved to w2k server and there
the impression is that the OnEnd event is not fired at all. The log is
registering the times the application starts, but no traces of application
stops

Guest

In which sense is it unreliable?
I have been using is on nt4/iis4 for 2 years now to save page hit counters -
it seemed to work fine.
Saving application variables is one of the most common usage of global.asa
and it relies heavily on OnEnd.
The only unreliability I noticed that it is difficult to tell when exactly
this even is expected to fire. But it looks like it had been firing at the
end of the day.
I keep a log on my provider of server down times recording date and time
when thevapplication end and application start - and it has beed quite
consistent.

Curt_C [MVP]

Exactly... most people try to use it for when a person "leaves" the site. As
long as you can wait for the actual session expiration it should work....
They expect the "X" from the browser to fire it, which we all know doesnt'
work

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software