    It appears that the server is trying to resolve the url vars before the
    global.asa is fired. Does anyone know of the order of processing? Any
    suggestions?

    WaterBug, Mar 16, 2005

  2. WaterBug

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?V2F0ZXJCdWc=?= wrote on 16 mrt 2005 in

    > When clicking on the following link from an email i.e -
    > http://myserver/myapplication/myprogram.asp?urlvar1=some stuff&urlvar
    > 2=more%20stuff I get a server 500 error. With that same browser
    > window open, if I click the link from the email again I get the
    > desired page. The results are the same if the url is copied and
    > pasted into the brower but the 'go' must be pressed twice.

    This is a emailclient cum browser issue, IMHO

    > It appears that the server is trying to resolve the url vars before
    > the global.asa is fired. Does anyone know of the order of processing?
    > Any suggestions?

    global.asa does not fire every time a page is called, only at a [re]start
    of the server/IIS.

    Why do you think global.asa has anything to do with it?
    Try the same without any global.asa present.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Mar 16, 2005

  3. WaterBug

    WaterBug Guest

    E: This is a emailclient cum browser issue, IMHO
    W: I don't believe this is an emailclient issue. I can create the problem
    without email. If you start a new browser and paste the url with the
    urlvariables then the error occurs. The page requires the URL variables to
    locate the specific recordset from the database and the session must be
    started prior to that to establish connectionString, who you are, your
    security, and more.

    E: global.asa does not fire every time a page is called, only at a [re]start
    of the server/IIS.
    W: It fires every time I open a new browser and call my application. It
    starts a new unique session for each browser conversation with the
    application. This is only an issue if a session is not established.

    E: Why do you think global.asa has anything to do with it? Try the same
    without any global.asa present.
    W: My app won't work without global.asa present. I rely on many session
    vars for db connectivity and resolving security.

    W: I think it is global.asa since the first time I type in the url and press
    'go' or enter I get the error but the second time I press 'go' or enter the
    page is delivered correctly. I think on the first trip to the server, the
    server 1) attempts to resolve the url vars first, 2) then processes the
    global.asa, 3) then attempts to deliver my page but my url vars are no longer
    available. On the 2nd trip to the server, the session was established in the
    1st trip and now the url vars are resolved correctly.

    I am still in search of the order of processing by the server for an asp
    request.

    WaterBug, Mar 16, 2005
  4. WaterBug

    Tim Guest

    WaterBug wrote:
    > E: This is a emailclient cum browser issue, IMHO
    > W: I don't believe this is an emailclient issue. I can create the problem

    Not a big issue but I suggest using ordinare quoting (like I do here) in
    the future to increase the chance of good responses.

    > without email. If you start a new browser and paste the url with the

    I dontt think this is not an email program issue

    > E: global.asa does not fire every time a page is called, only at a [re]start
    > of the server/IIS.
    > W: It fires every time I open a new browser and call my application. It
    > starts a new unique session for each browser conversation with the
    > application. This is only an issue if a session is not established.

    Application_OnStart fires only when your application starts, that is
    generally only the first time a page is requested after you have made
    changes to global.asa.

    > E: Why do you think global.asa has anything to do with it? Try the same
    > without any global.asa present.
    > W: My app won't work without global.asa present. I rely on many session
    > vars for db connectivity and resolving security.

    Session_OnStart is caled once when a new session starts. This means, if
    you browse the site, Session_onstart is only called the fist time you go
    to the first page.

    A new session might start when you start another webbrowser but I guess
    that is a settings thing?

    Anyway,
    > I am still in search of the order of processing by the server for an
    > asp request.
    >It appears that the server is trying to resolve the url vars before the
    >global.asa is fired. Does anyone know of the order of processing? Any
    >suggestions?

    The url vars are never automatically resolved.

    If it is a new session, session_onstart is called first, in there you
    might resolve the url vars with request.querystring if you want.

    When session_onstart is ran to the end (or imediatley if this is your
    second request) your asp page will be compiled and run from the top to
    the bottom.

    If you post the content of your global asa and myprogram.asp I am sure
    it will be much easier to spot the error.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 16, 2005
  5. WaterBug

    Evertjan. Guest

    Dear waterbug,

    Tim wrote on 16 mrt 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    >> E: Why do you think global.asa has anything to do with it? Try the
    >> same without any global.asa present.
    >> W: My app won't work without global.asa present. I rely on many
    >> session vars for db connectivity and resolving security.

    > Session_OnStart is caled once when a new session starts. This means,
    > if you browse the site, Session_onstart is only called the fist time
    > you go to the first page.

    Tim is right. [also on the quoting issue, but that aside]

    The fact that Session_OnStart is called at the beginning of every new
    session does not mean that global.asa is run. Global.asa runs only at
    the application start. Session_OnStart sub is helt in memory.

    I suppose your problem is a session problem. If the session is not helt,
    because the browser does not allow a ram-cookie, every page is a new
    session with a new call to the Session_OnStart sub. ASP pages are always
    a session.

    However without relevant code we cannot envision the exact nature of
    your problem.

    btw, did you try to debug?

    ========================

    >> I rely on many session vars for db connectivity and resolving
    >> security.

    And you initialize those session variables [we are talking session() ?]
    in Session_OnStart?

    Why?
    They can more easily be initialized on your entry page, easying the
    debugging process. Or if you have multiple entry possiblilities, with a
    include statement.

    That way you can have administrative entry using a different security
    appoach for your own purpose. Or differnt [open?] pages in another part
    of your site.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Mar 16, 2005
  6. WaterBug

    WaterBug Guest

    Let me try to rephrase my problem. On a page call that invokes a new unique
    application/session, the included query string (URL parameters) that are
    passed are trashed, ignored, stripped (however you want to say it). Is it
    true that the server's asp process will ignore URL variables if the page
    invokes a new session? Is it impossible to refer to URL parameters on the
    page that starts a session. It appears I am unable to refer to URL
    parameters in an asp page that invokes a session.

    WaterBug, Mar 17, 2005
  7. WaterBug wrote:
    > Let me try to rephrase my problem. On a page call that invokes a new
    > unique application/session, the included query string (URL
    > parameters) that are passed are trashed, ignored, stripped (however
    > you want to say it). Is it true that the server's asp process will
    > ignore URL variables if the page invokes a new session? Is it
    > impossible to refer to URL parameters on the page that starts a
    > session. It appears I am unable to refer to URL parameters in an asp
    > page that invokes a session.

    Create a small page (or set of pages) that illustrates your problem. This
    description is hard to follow.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 17, 2005
  8. WaterBug

    WaterBug Guest

    The browser call..
    http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit

    MyApp is defined as an application in IIS...

    The contents of EvalPage.asp...
    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%option explicit

    response.Write "Trainee= " & request("trainee") & " Evaluator= " &
    request("evaluator") & " type= " & request("type")

    response.Write "<br>query_string= " & request.ServerVariables("query_string")
    response.Write "<br>request_uri= " & request.ServerVariables("request_uri")
    response.Write "<br>path_info= " & request.ServerVariables("path_info")
    response.Write "<br>path_translated= " &
    request.ServerVariables("path_translated")
    response.Write "<br>http_host= " & request.ServerVariables("http_host")
    response.Write "<br>http_referer= " & request.ServerVariables("http_referer")
    response.Write "<br>path= " & request.ServerVariables("path")
    %>

    The first time the URL listed above is requested the query_string is
    returned as an empty string. Repaste the URL (cause the query_string gets
    stripped) and the query_string is returned...k

    WaterBug, Mar 17, 2005
  9. WaterBug

    Patrice Guest

    You can. IMO the problem is rather that you have some error in your
    global.asa file having then an error just when the session starts...

    You should start by disabling simplified HTTP errors to that you can clearly
    see what this 500 error is exactly...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Mar 17, 2005
  10. WaterBug wrote:
    > The browser call...

    http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit

    > MyApp is defined as an application in IIS...
    >
    > The contents of EvalPage.asp...
    > <%@ Language=VBScript %>

    <snip>
    > The first time the URL listed above is requested the query_string is
    > returned as an empty string.

    By "returned", do you mean the

    response.Write "query_string= " & _
    request.ServerVariables("query_string")

    statement writes an empty string?

    No, that does not happen to me. I'm using IE6 on a Win2000 machine. What are
    you using?

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 17, 2005
  11. WaterBug

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Works fine for me. Is there a global.asa file that is supposed to go along
    with this?

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Mar 17, 2005
  12. WaterBug

    WaterBug Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > WaterBug wrote:
    > > The browser call...
    > >
    > > http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?
    > > trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit
    > >
    > > MyApp is defined as an application in IIS...
    > >
    > > The contents of EvalPage.asp...
    > > <%@ Language=VBScript %>

    > <snip>
    > > The first time the URL listed above is requested the query_string is
    > > returned as an empty string.

    > By "returned", do you mean the
    >
    > response.Write "query_string= " & _
    > request.ServerVariables("query_string")
    >
    > statement writes an empty string?
    >
    > No, that does not happen to me. I'm using IE6 on a Win2000 machine. What are
    > you using?

    The first paste of the URL
    (http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?
    trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit)
    into the Address line of the browser writes query_string as an empty string
    (or query_string=) . When pasting the URL into the address line the second
    time (thus requesting a second trip to the server) the browser writes
    query_string= trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit

    WaterBug, Mar 17, 2005
  13. WaterBug wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >> WaterBug wrote:
    >>> The browser call...
    >>>
    >>> http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?
    >>> trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit
    >>>
    >>> MyApp is defined as an application in IIS...
    >>>
    >>> The contents of EvalPage.asp...
    >>> <%@ Language=VBScript %>

    >> <snip>
    >>> The first time the URL listed above is requested the query_string is
    >>> returned as an empty string.

    >> By "returned", do you mean the
    >>
    >> response.Write "query_string= " & _
    >> request.ServerVariables("query_string")
    >>
    >> statement writes an empty string?
    >>
    >> No, that does not happen to me. I'm using IE6 on a Win2000 machine.
    >> What are you using?

    > The first paste of the URL
    > (http://127.0.0.1/MyApp/EvalPage.asp?
    > trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit)
    > into the Address line of the browser writes query_string as an empty
    > string (or query_string=) . When pasting the URL into the address
    > line the second time (thus requesting a second trip to the server)
    > the browser writes query_string=
    > trainee=astronaut&evaluator=kelly&type=orbit

    As I said: it does not happen to me. I agree with the others: you have a
    problem in your global.file.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 17, 2005
  14. WaterBug

    WaterBug Guest

    I have recreated a project in Visual Studio 2003 and everything works fine
    when there is no global.asa. When I add a global.asa that does very little
    or an empty global.asa then the page url variables are not recognized during
    the first load. The behavior is again demonstrated that only during the
    second load does the query_string get recognized. Can one of you add an
    empty global.asa in your project to see if this 'breaks' it? Thanks...k

    WaterBug, Mar 21, 2005
  15. WaterBug

    Patrice Guest

    No problem here. What if you use Request.QueryString ?

    Try also with an emply global.asa (rather than with doing a minimal amount
    for things we have no idea about).

    Are you sure this is not a cache issue ?

    Patrice

    Patrice, Mar 21, 2005
  16. WaterBug

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Don't make us guess what you mean by "empty global.asa". Post the global.asa
    code that causes the problem for you.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Mar 21, 2005
  17. All of my projects have a global.asa file, including the one I tested your
    code with.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 21, 2005