    decremented of 1 only when the Session.Timeout will be expired.

    Please let me know if anyone have come accross a solution somewhere...

    Thank you!
    Daniel L., Oct 8, 2003

  2. Daniel L.

    Tom B Guest

    You'd have to be creative. Likely on the client-side.
    Perhaps, a little javascript function that refreshes an "image" every X
    seconds.
    If a user fails to refresh their image, they are "timed out"

    The other thing, if you are stuck with server side only, would be to track
    users separately. Users who have been active in the last X seconds and
    users who are still "logged in" but haven't been active.

    "Daniel L." <jereçoisdéjàtropdespamaubureau@désolé.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've searched over 1 hour on Google and elsewhere and haven't found
    > anything.
    >
    > I'd like to find a way to get the real active user count on our website.
    > THe main problem I have is when a user quit with the "X" the counter will

    be

    Tom B, Oct 8, 2003

  3. That's the problem with the basic HTTP protocol itself, since it is not a
    stateful protocol. Once the user gets a document, the user gets
    "disconnected." The whole idea behind the session is that, using cookies and
    a timer, you see if the user is connected within a certain time span.

    With that said, there is no accurate way of figuring out an accurate count
    of users -- what you are doing currently seems to do the job. There are
    elaborate methods -- for example, embedding a small Java applet in a
    invisible frame, which send out a message back to the server. But I think it
    is an overkill for a simple counter app.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netBooks

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Oct 8, 2003