Global.asax.vb in Visual Studio .NET 2005

Nathan Sokalski

I recently upgraded from Visual Studio .NET 2003 to Visual Studio .NET 2005.
Visual Studio .NET 2005 does not create the Global.asax files that Visual
Studio .NET 2003 did, which I used for variables such as the location of my
database. What is the conventional way of creating global variables for
purposes like this in Visual Studio .NET 2005? Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What is the conventional way of creating global variables for purposes like this in Visual Studio
.NET 2005? Thanks.

"File", "New File", and select "Global Application Class".

Then...code away global variables to your heart's content.

Nathan Sokalski

OK, but then how do I access this variable in all my pages? In 2003 this was
a class named Global, and I would access variables by doing something like
Global.connectionstring. However, doing what you told me just creates
Global.asax, which is not a *.vb file. Maybe it doesn't need to be to access
it however you access it in 2.0, but either way, I can't seem to figure out
how to access it in 2.0. Thanks.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

firstly, you don't need to copy this to all these groups. secondly, if you
like 2003, you should use the WAP model for visual studio.

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Nathan Sokalski

First, there is nothing wrong with "copying" the message to multiple groups
(the message is only posted once, so it doesn't take up any more space on
the server, and you only see it multiple time if you read all the groups).
Do I prefer 2003? Yes, I do, but I want to learn 2005. If I procrastinate
with my learning, where is that going to get me?
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)