global keyboard events

Patricio Stegmann

Hello,

I'm trying to capture all keyboard events from some different web page
layouts: framesets with different stuff, like flash or whatever !
The problem I am getting is that only focused documents get those
events, and even worse, if an "object" like a swf clip gets the focus,
all keyboard events are only sent to that object. What I would like is
to be able to get the events to a particular script/function so I can
handle them globally.
I know there may be some security stuff, like domain of different
frames or this kind of things ... but all the pages/elements will be
on the same server/folder. So,
is there any way to have all events routed to a particular function
easily ? Or is it necessary to explicitly route them on each frame to
the particular place we want them to go; and is there a way to avoid
those plugins eating the events ?

Thanks !

Pat

Fabian

Patricio Stegmann hu kiteb:
Hello,

I'm trying to capture all keyboard events from some different web page
layouts: framesets with different stuff, like flash or whatever !
The problem I am getting is that only focused documents get those
events, ...
is there any way to have all events routed to a particular function
easily ? Or is it necessary to explicitly route them on each frame to
the particular place we want them to go; and is there a way to avoid
those plugins eating the events ?

As I understand it, the definition of focus is that the focused object
is the object that interacts with the various input devices. So making a
page without intercepts the keyboard without having focus is logically
impossible.

Suppose I am running my favourite word processor in the foreground and
your web page in the background. Why do you want to intercept
mynovel.doc that I am writing while websurfing? It strikes me that this
kind of script, if possible, could be used for stuff far more nefarious
than reading my novel as I write it.

I may, of course, be wrong here. Perhaps you aren't writing spyware.

Patricio Stegmann

Patricio Stegmann hu kiteb:

--

Hi Fabian,

Believe me, I am not writing any kind of spyware or whatever !!!
Actually we are developping some web applications (elearning apps)
that use extensive interactivity and offer some nice tools for the
learner. Tha whole applications are driven via an API which controls
many aspects of the pages. And browsers and standards are enough
secure to disallow any kind of tricks. I know I could do what I want
by explicitly route events to that API but it would be easier if there
was any kind of syntax for this.
I understand what you say about "independance of objects" but in a web
page it is kind of different because in my case there is ONE window,
and DOM allows frames to talk to each other ...
Hope there is some kind of solution to this ...

Pat