Global Servlet Filter

Mark F

I'm writing a servlet filter that will keep track of the number of hits
for my site but the site is composed of several web applications. I'd
like to write it in such a way as to allow it to work with all of the
applications at one time, instead of tallying individual counts by hand.

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Makr

John C. Bollinger

Mark said:
I'm writing a servlet filter that will keep track of the number of hits
for my site but the site is composed of several web applications. I'd
like to write it in such a way as to allow it to work with all of the
applications at one time, instead of tallying individual counts by hand.

You are barking up the wrong tree. The servlet spec does not provide
for objects scoped wider than a single web application. It might be
that you could play tricks with a shared object, but making it work
correctly would be container-dependent. Since you need a
container-dependent solution anyway, why don't you look at configuration
options for your container?

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Mark F

John said:
You are barking up the wrong tree. The servlet spec does not provide
for objects scoped wider than a single web application. It might be
that you could play tricks with a shared object, but making it work
correctly would be container-dependent. Since you need a
container-dependent solution anyway, why don't you look at configuration
options for your container?

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks, I'll look into it.